• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FLT

Master
    Not a bad plan , lots of folks out there that will take advantage of a widow.

tros6t

Marksman
    This is true. I know quite a few people whose retirement plan is social security. That doesn’t buy much.
    They are dying to cut this “entitlement” and they will, most likely after the next election! I know it’s not an entitlement, but they love to call it that. They will cut it before real welfare! Too many voters on welfare! They figure they can trick older people!

J pace

Marksman
    Soon to be 67, Through good genetics and good lifestyle I am still in good health. With hard work And good planning I have been retired since 62 and I am in great shape financially. People often ask how I get so much work done as old as I am. My reply is slow and easy. I can still do anything that I Could when I was younger I just have to do it a lot slower. There is a lot more thought that goes into every move. I am lucky to have a good wife and 4 Grandboys, So I will keep buying guns to the day I die. The picture is of me and one of the sister-in-law's ( The wife was taking the picture)last month. Some things can't be done slow and easy but you can put a lot of thought into them beforehand.
    Screenshot_20230704-070022_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:

Jerry

Well Known Member
    GCGF Supporter
    Im going to be 73 in a few months and don't feel like 73.
    Still working every day, sometimes 10-12 hours/day.
    Work in the heat, attics, roofs, crawlspaces under homes, exterior of homes, and don't stop for lunch. Im in better shape than most 40 year olds, and some in their 30's.
    Yes, sometimes it's brutal, but I love the work and wouldn't change anything.
    I have trained numerous guys to do what I do (more than 20 of them) over the past 10 years and give them a chance to make a better living for their families. I show them how to get business and how to make money. I help then get started by giving them the tools they need for success. Literally, like tools and equipment along with my advice on marketing and presentation, and reporting tools they need.
    It's a pleasure that I don't take lightly. It's been my mission for the past 18 years after my 2nd retirement. I had a SF PTSD Vet that recognized the opportunity and is doing quite well for himself. He is now reaching out to other SF Vets and has assisted more that 30 Vets across the country to get in the business and he is paying it forward.
    To me the meaning of getting older better is like this:
    It's more important to make a positive difference in someones life, than what you take for yourself. Ive learned that blessing someone is the biggest reward, and the blessings are returned 10 fold. It's helping the deserving guys that just need a break in life or different direction, and Im not done yet.
    Watching these guys thrive is my biggest blessing and some have become like family. So I try help someone help themselves. That's it in a nutshell.
    And of course I make a good living in the process.
    Life's about working hard, earning respect by being respectful, always doing the right thing and lending assistance to those who are willing to work for themselves and their families, and trying to be a good example to those I teach..
    So, you don't have to quit when you have a mission in life regardless of your age.
    Experience, wisdom, and knowledge, comes in time, so getting older is pretty cool. I hope you older guys are sharing your wisdom. It is needed today!

Last edited:

RHINOWSO

Master
    One thing i can't understand about quite a few friends is their lack of any re-tirement planning while they were younger and that is sad .
    Yeah, my in-laws are like that. Not a dime in savings and only S/S checks.

Not bad if you are in good health, but one downturn and they'll be up $hit creek w/o a paddle.

I turn 63 in December, but I do not feel or look that old. I either ride my bike (5 miles) or walk (3.3 miles) every day and eat right. I play Pickleball 2-3 days a week and do weights nearly every day. Granted, I am not without aches and pains, most of which stems from degenerative disc disease along with arthritis in my lower back and in my knees. These do not slow me down. Albeit, there are some things I do not or cannot do anymore because of the limitations with my back, but I still do as much as I possibly can even knowing I may have some discomfort for a short while. I have always said that one does not become old unless they choose to do so. Age is just a number and being old is a frame of mind. I am far from being old even though my body is trying to tell me otherwise sometimes.

Welldoya

Master
    They are dying to cut this “entitlement” and they will, most likely after the next election! I know it’s not an entitlement, but they love to call it that. They will cut it before real welfare! Too many voters on welfare! They figure they can trick older people!
    I have no doubt that if they cut social security that would be the beginning of civil war.

sloporsche

Marksman
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    I doubt SS is going away what i do see is there will be cut backs on some services ,they may raise the age restriction ,and lower the allowable income before your benefits get cut back [ask me how i know this] . imho and with out a doubt more money will be deducted from future workers checks

Last edited:

5lima30ret

Master
    The other side of the retirement coin is waiting too late to retire! I had several friends who stayed another 5 years "on the job" to get an additional 15% on their retirement. (2) died within 60 days of retiring a third guy wound up having significant health issues. He lived almost (2) years in very poor health with much time spent in the hospital. He who wins the retirement game is he who draws it the longest NOT he who draws the largest monthly pension. "You got to know when to hold them and when to fold them!"

Last edited:

FLT

Master
    With some planning and a little luck a man can enjoy retirement. My wife has to constantly remind me that I’m too old to do many of the things I choose to to do way more often than I should . most of the guys I hunt , fish and socialize with are many years younger than my self. My old friends sit around and talk about what we used to do, I choose to still do those things, although it takes a little more effort than it did in the past. I’m still learning new things daily, the younger crowd is definitely more in tune with technology and I don’t mind being taught by someone that knows what he’s doing, no matter his age. If you are lucky enough to be healthy, you should enjoy life as long as you can. Pay no attention to the phrase, your to old to be doing that.:)

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom