• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BluesBrother

Master
    I’ve found that 9 times out of 10, if you answer that question, they will offer less.
    Would that same person ask the question at Publix or Best Buy or you name the store? I find that folks that ask that question are not serious people and should be ignored or use a PM to converse or negotiate or whatever that tactic called.

BluesBrother

Master
    Putting "asking XX" tells me they will take less...
    I think people that are willing to take less use OBO. If you ask politely and respectfully in a PM most sellers will respond back in kind. That has been my experience. Use the "magic" word.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    I think people that are willing to take less use OBO. If you ask politely and respectfully in a PM most sellers will respond back in kind. That has been my experience. Use the "magic" word.

My problem is when I go to sell something, that means I've pretty much lost interest in it and I usually sell stuff for a pretty good price from the start, I hate bumping ads and sitting on stuff I no longer want... as evident by my recent dealings. I'm a push-over when it comes to selling lol.

BluesBrother

Master
    My problem is when I go to sell something, that means I've pretty much lost interest in it and I usually sell stuff for a pretty good price from the start, I hate bumping ads and sitting on stuff I no longer want... as evident by my recent dealings. I'm a push-over when it comes to selling lol.
    You are over thinking this or I am naive.

FLT

Master
    I’ve never sold anything gun related at a profit , in fact most things I’ve sold on this forum have been resold for a profit. Usually my unwanted items sell very quick, which is what I want, I have little use for folks that low ball a price that is already a great deal.

BluesBrother

Master
    I’ve never sold anything gun related at a profit , in fact most things I’ve sold on this forum have been resold for a profit. Usually my unwanted items sell very quick, which is what I want, I have little use for folks that low ball a price that is already a great deal.
    The following is a list of characteristics needed for a quick sale. My list may not be all inclusive. You may have additional criteria that are important to you. If these criteria are met the item will last only seconds because people on this forum pay attention and are very knowledgeable.

1) Desirable item.
    2) Hard to find item.
    3) Priced to sell relative to age, condition.
    4) Buyer/seller are in close proximity.
    5) Item well maintained condition.
    6) Original with box and owners manual.
    7) Extras may play a part, they don't for me.
    8) Seller put in time to research a fair value and popularity of for sale item.

Sans these criteria the item will languish for a long, long, long time. Bump, Bump, Bump, TTT, TTT, TTT. What you paid or what you added doesn't mean much in a adversarial transaction. If the seller overpaid and expects the new buyer to pay for the mistake, good luck with that. If you are inflating the item because of the market, good luck with that. If you are inflating your price because of inflation, good luck with that. NW Florida and South Alabama have some of the lower costs of living in the country. If you use a national publication to price your item, good luck with that. IMO and YMMV

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    The following is a list of characteristics needed for a quick sale. My list may not be all inclusive. You may have additional criteria that are important to you. If these criteria are met the item will last only seconds because people on this forum pay attention and are very knowledgeable.

1) Desirable item.
    2) Hard to find item.
    3) Priced to sell relative to age, condition.
    4) Buyer/seller are in close proximity.
    5) Item well maintained condition.
    6) Original with box and owners manual.
    7) Extras may play a part, they don't for me.
    8) Seller put in time to research a fair value and popularity of for sale item.

Sans these criteria the item will languish for a long, long, long time. Bump, Bump, Bump, TTT, TTT, TTT. What you paid or what you added doesn't mean much in a adversarial transaction. If the seller overpaid and expects the new buyer to pay for the mistake, good luck with that. If you are inflating the item because of the market, good luck with that. If you are inflating your price because of inflation, good luck with that. NW Florida and South Alabama have some of the lower costs of living in the country. If you use a national publication to price your item, good luck with that. IMO and YMMV

Even better is the seller has credibility as great deals offered by new people with little or no history scares off some potential buyers.

I’ve got some killer deals over the years from new sellers… took the chance and came out ok.

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    All these posts added to sale threads as updates are annoying. Edit the thread, don't post. I've been seeing the same threads 3 or 4 times a day. Most of it is ignorance, but some of it is to keep the thread on page 1.

fv22

Master
    "What's the lowest you will take?" I see this all the time. You're asking the seller to bid against themselves? Doesn't the question defeat the purpose of an asking price?
    As a Realtor, and house flipper for many years I have been asked that question many times. I NEVER will give them a new price because no matter what you say they will ask for lower. My standard answer is; " I'm asking $X.XX and really haven't thought about what the lowest I will accept is. Just make me an offer and I will seriously consider it. If I can, I will accept the offer, if not maybe we can work towards something we can both agree on."

Once they give me an offer it can go a couple of ways. If it's a good offer I might accept it or counter back slightly higher than their offered price. If it's very low I'll just say sorry I can't do that. If it's ridiculously low, I'll tell them not to waste my time and when they get serious we'll talk again. If they then try to push the issue without coming way up on the price, I will give a counter offer with the price at least 15-20% higher than I was originally asking. At that point they realize I'm not going to be pushed over and they either walk or come up with a reasonable offer. Either way my time is no longer being wasted.

Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    You selling any ammo? :)

BluesBrother

Master
    All these posts added to sale threads as updates are annoying. Edit the thread, don't post. I've been seeing the same threads 3 or 4 times a day. Most of it is ignorance, but some of it is to keep the thread on page 1.
    I hate that too. Most of my reactions or queries are in a PM.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom