• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a 16' - 17' stick steer Xtreme river boat with a 60 hp, 2 stroke Yamaha. I am currently using an Atwood 12 gallon plastic gas tank and I cannot stand it! I mean it works fine but I just don't like it. I am entertaining having an aluminum tank built. This will be a top side tank. The approximate dimensions would be 18"-20" wide x approx 16" deep x approx 12" tall. I am thinking this is going to get me a very similar capacity to what I have now.

Few questions. Who would you guys recommend I contact about having this tank built? Does anyone have a source to buy a tank like this? Any pros and/or cons to using this type of tank versus the one I am currently using? Is aluminum the way to go or should I consider something else?

Any other ideas and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have an aluminum tank in the store, it is 30" x 9" x 9" in good condition. fuel comes out bottom and has a truck type cap, and a hook up for electronic fuel gauge. $39.00 you will never get one made that cheap!

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is a deal Dan but the dimensions won't work for the space I need to put the tank. I appreciate the offer and I know that you're right, I can't get one built that cheap for sure!

fishingjean

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Boats are funny things , sort of like cars some like this , some like that! I have been running portable gas tanks in my boats for 61yrs. , I have a 12gal an several 6gal. plastic an steel gas tanks, are you planning on securing your alum. tank so it will be bolted down in some fashion? Remember trash an water are your worst headaches. I find it easy to clean my portable gas tanks because I can take them out an empty them of any water or trash, also I add sea-foam everytime I add gas, my motor is oil injected so no oil-gas mixing. I installed a extra fuel filter outside engine so fuel goes through 2 before it gets to carbs. I changemy fuel lines every other yr. an I get the ethenyal resistant gas lines an find they only last a little longer than regular fuel lines. So I also am bad about jerking one out of boat to fill up riding lawnmower lol. So its really up to the person as to what he likes, I run my boats 3-4 times a week so water=condensation an such doesn't have much time to build up. Some folks go to find non-ethenal gas pumps but , you have to find them. I just don't want a gas tank bolted down in my boat I cant take out at will, good luck with whatever you do?? Remember this when it comes to a fishing boat , the less stuff you have on it, the less trouble you will have, I run a 40hp. Nissan tiller steer, tilt-trim-switch on tiller handle, no trouble in 9yrs. Good luck Sir!! Denny in pace!! Brownsville welding shop, or order online!!! didn't mean to ramble on so much lol !! just my 9-cents

Last edited:

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Boats are funny things , sort of like cars some like this , some like that! I have been running portable gas tanks in my boats for 61yrs. , I have a 12gal an several 6gal. plastic an steel gas tanks, are you planning on securing your alum. tank so it will be bolted down in some fashion? Remember trash an water are your worst headaches. I find it easy to clean my portable gas tanks because I can take them out an empty them of any water or trash, also I add sea-foam everytime I add gas, my motor is oil injected so no oil-gas mixing. I installed a extra fuel filter outside engine so fuel goes through 2 before it gets to carbs. I changemy fuel lines every other yr. an I get the ethenyal resistant gas lines an find they only last a little longer than regular fuel lines. So I also am bad about jerking one out of boat to fill up riding lawnmower lol. So its really up to the person as to what he likes, I run my boats 3-4 times a week so water=condensation an such doesn't have much time to build up. Some folks go to find non-ethenal gas pumps but , you have to find them. I just don't want a gas tank bolted down in my boat I cant take out at will, good luck with whatever you do?? Remember this when it comes to a fishing boat , the less stuff you have on it, the less trouble you will have, I run a 40hp. Nissan tiller steer, tilt-trim-switch on tiller handle, no trouble in 9yrs. Good luck Sir!! Denny in pace!! Brownsville welding shop, or order online!!! didn't mean to ramble on so much lol !! just my 9-cents

Words of wisdom..Thumbs up !

Top Bottom