Target Sports

Friends 23 yo son got denied handgun purchase, wants father to buy handgun.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    They've been removed from the endangered list. Just another sky chicken.

No longer “endangered”, yes.
    Legal to harvest for food, nope.
    “Just another sky chicken”? Never!

Did your fingers cramp up and you threw up a little in your mouth when you typed that? :/

What those foreign invaders did is still a prosecutable offense according to the Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940.

As pointed out already, different sets of standards apparently.

Aaaaaaaand totally off topic.
    Still straw purchase territory, OP....

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Did your fingers cramp up and you threw up a little in your mouth when you typed that? :/

What those foreign invaders did is still a prosecutable offense according to the Bald Eagle Protection Act of 1940.

It's deplorable. I was making light of it. On our new reality this is acceptable behavior. Not by me or any non brain damaged person

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yep... if Rebel did it, not only would he be prosecuted, but, after he finished his sentence, he would be deported back to DeFunkiak or wherever : )

fv22

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Way back 9 pages ago the OP said "Today he is much better. He is taking meds". Just do a quick search for mass shooters who were on antidepressants. I know you can't believe everything (or almost nothing) you read on the internet but there's enough there for me to say keep this guy far away from a gun!

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Way back 9 pages ago the OP said "Today he is much better. He is taking meds". Just do a quick search for mass shooters who were on antidepressants. I know you can't believe everything (or almost nothing) you read on the internet but there's enough there for me to say keep this guy far away from a gun!
    Yep, that was my original "Red Flag", and why I posted the link to the "Generation Rx" video. Just keep in mind that, if you watch it, it is 15 years old, so it is ten times worse now. Want to know why people do so much non-sensical, CRAZY stuff now? Watch that video!

I have been saying elsewhere that, once someone is convicted of perpetrating such an act as a mass/school shooting, or upon the demise of such a person, their medical/psych records should be made public... we need to know. Right now, only a careful "reading between the lines" may tell you there were "psychotropics" involved, but we need hard statistics.

As I said previously, people don't usually go off the deep end before they are put on those medications, they usually do it after!

TRYGGR_11B

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Pretty Simple fix, the fact the father can’t figure this one out and want to try and put it on someone else is sketchy. I am all for the 2nd Amendment and enforcing it, I want my SBRs and full autos without laws saying I can’t too, especially since I am trained and proficient on weapons such as the M2 Browning and MK19..

but I don’t believe “everyone” should have a firearm without proper basic training and even then I don’t believe all people should have a gun, I have met some of the most idiotic unsafe people around firearms and it’s only a matter of time before someone innocent gets killed by an Negligent discharge.. nothing pisses me off more than some untrained moron flagging people every-time he picks up a gun.

For this father it’s simple, buy it yourself and store and hold onto it until your son gets his legal crap taken care of… Months? Why does that matter how much time it takes if it gives a reason to set him up for success in the future?

Stay away from that one and pass our advice to your buddy. Florida, the last free state in the union if I may say so myself, as long as the liberals stay out or at least don’t vote for what they left their state for..

God bless y’all, stay safe and keep your weapons pointed down range.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So why isn’t the mother getting anything for making the straw purchase?

She created him, created the issue. Then sends him down the river crying victim…
    Yep... she probably agreed to put him on psychotropics from the first grade (I know the 'disability" check is tempting, but... ), then "straw-purchases" for him several times after he goes nuts, and THEN "starts to worry".

seandizzie

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    with that kind of parenting the kid never had a chance. sad.
    Yep... she probably agreed to put him on psychotropics from the first grade (I know the 'disability" check is tempting, but... ), then "straw-purchases" for him several times after he goes nuts, and THEN "starts to worry".

Imurhuckleberry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it were my son, I know I would want to give him whatever he wants. However, that situation requires heavy thought and careful reasoning. Maybe give the boy some time to get straight before assuming he's all good. Meds and all.

Fordtudor37

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A good friend of mine son’s got denied. 5 years ago(@ age17/18) in another state he was in a mental facility for severe depression(had the court ordered 5150). Today he is much better. He is taking meds. He is a good kid. We have gone to the range, really wants his own gun. Now he wants his dad to sign for it. I told my friend that might be a Straw Purchase. They have the same last name and address.
    We are all in Florida. I hope he doesn’t ask me. Kid is very nice and friendly.
    LGS said he can appeal, but that can take months.
    Some one needs to take dad aside and "show" him the reality of the road he is thinking of going down, before he's "gone too far".
    If dad wants to purchase one and let the son use it at the range and then keep it secured at dad's own residence that would be ok, but allowing the son to "take possession of the firearm" then basically he is asking his son and FDLE to "pick out a good cell for me now".

AK4774

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lots and lots of DRs finishing their residency in psychiatry and what do they want and need…? Lots of money and lots of patients. Like lawyers some would diagnose a ham sandwich if it looked sad.

The pharmaceutical industry is counting on you DR. Feelgud. Call 800 Bpsychd for your rep to drop off some “free samples “ for your Guinea pigs uhhh fine patients.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Pretty much why America is AFU these days.
    My father never gave me anything I wanted, and didn't even like others doing so.

When I was maybe 11 years old, my grandparents came to visit around Christmastime. I think I still had my first bicycle... probably given to me by my grandparents... and they took me to a Western Auto and let me pick out another as a Christmas present, probably a couple of days prior to Christmas. Of course, I started riding it.

Next thing I know, I come out to get on the bike and found a padlock on the chain. Found out later my father had "locked" it... without even telling me... because it wasn't Christmas yet. Luckily, the bike had a rear derailleur which allowed the chain to just thread through the padlock while riding, otherwise, on a single speed bike for example, trying to ride it might have broken the chain when the padlock engaged the rear sprocket. So I just "acted stupid" and rode it anyway as if I hadn't seen the lock : )

Realize that this was going on around the same time that I was his sole assistant in building an airplane in the garage... a single-seater, of course. It would have been easy not to like him, but he taught me some damned good lessons! : )

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    "School officials in Bremen, Indiana, contacted police in 2014 after Xaver reported the dream and his mother agreed to take him to a behavioral health center, according to police records. No other action was taken. Police in Michigan released information about a 2017 incident in which he was messaging a girl in that state about “possibly thinking of suicide by cop and taking hostages.”

Note that he went off the deep end after receiving "mental health care", not before. And I'll bet he was on "medication" even prior to 2014. For parents who think "spending a lot of money" on their children insures a better outcome (or at least confers bragging rights), there's no quicker way to blow money than to take them to a psychiatrist or to rehab, with the added benefit of being able to brag about all this spending on Facebook while simultaneously lamenting your family's "victim" status... maybe you can even start a "GoFundMe" : ) i.e.,

"I don't know what else I could have done. I gave him everything he wanted!"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...fatal-shooting-of-5-women-at-bank/ar-AA18FisC

Oh, and the "behavioral health experts" are no better at raising their own children. This one's son (10 years old!) killed her because she wouldn't buy the VR headset he wanted. The day after he killed her, he ordered the headset from Amazon on his mother's account. Oh, and, of course, he was receiving "behavioral health care" before he went off the deep end:

https://people.com/crime/boy-accused-fatally-shooting-mom-refused-buy-virtual-reality-headset/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom