• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jester896

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    my buddy's wife caught Brucellosis from processing meat without gloves...she must have had a cut on her hand. Took them a good long time to diagnose it. I lost one of the best hunting dogs (hog dog) of a lifetime to Brucellosis. You don't get any part of the dog back when diagnosed....they put them down and send the parts to different labs.

I think in my area I have read that more than 50% of the wild hog population along the Ocmulgee River here in GA carry Brucellosis. It is probably safe to say it is that way everywhere...there isn't anyone inoculating the wild hog population.

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hope I am not opening Pandora's Box here.

I own a farm in Santa Rosa County where we are battling feral hogs that are terribly destructive to the land and crops. Between a few trusted hunters and having corral traps out we have killed about 250 hogs in the past 6-7 years. They just keep coming. To begin with, I am sorry but please don't ask if you can hunt our land. Due to liability concerns we can only allow a few trusted neighbors and family to hunt our land. Secondly, shooting them one at a time is fun sport, but is not an effective means to control the population. We need to eradicate 70% of the population every year just to break even. So we use corral traps to trap entire sounders. The take in a trap can range from 5-15 hogs at once. We have killed 14 in the past week. When we get a bunch in a trap, we dispatch them within 24 hours. We do not have a way to safely extract live hogs from the traps. We butcher some for our own use but can use only so much. Often there is no one to take them so we end up dumping the hogs in a ditch for the buzzards and coyotes. It is a waste of good meat but we can only use so much and butchering is a chore. Through experience I have learned that mature male hogs are not good table fare, but the meat from males under 100 pounds or so and the sows is excellent. And a piglet will fit whole into a smoker. So here's the deal. If you will butcher it yourself and would like some free pork, and you are willing to come get the whole hog when we dispatch them, send me a message with a name and phone number and I will put you on the list to call the next time we have hogs in the trap.
    Very interested. Checking with a friend up in McDavid if we could butcher the hog at his place. Thanks for the offer.

Pierre

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Prep and cook the meat properly, I have processed and eaten 100's of feral hogs...I think there is more a danger driving to the hunt more than the hogs making you sick.
    Concur, not a big pork fan but those feral hogs are a different story all together. They are good.

Hank62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Awesome!!
    I know the Safari club international has a program that they accept wild game for people undergoing treatment that hormones in the meat will interfere with. If you want to look that up it's a great program.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just an update here, the hogs run hot and cold, they have not been coming to the traps for a couple of weeks. We did have some a couple weeks ago and one of the guys who contacted me took a couple hogs away. It's like fishing, we wait

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Just an update here, the hogs run hot and cold, they have not been coming to the traps for a couple of weeks. We did have some a couple weeks ago and one of the guys who contacted me took a couple hogs away. It's like fishing, we wait
    Maybe somebody finally shot them all where you are! ;) We can only hope

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Little off topic but I know here in alabama the state will basically buy you a $10,000 electronic hog trap you can close with your phone if your property is over run. I put out a boar buster trap 2 weeks ago and have caught 32 hogs so far. Worth looking into for a basically free trap.

HayesGreener

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Little off topic but I know here in alabama the state will basically buy you a $10,000 electronic hog trap you can close with your phone if your property is over run. I put out a boar buster trap 2 weeks ago and have caught 32 hogs so far. Worth looking into for a basically free trap.
    Unfortunately Florida has not caught up with that idea yet.

Top Bottom