• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hey John, then you can load them up w this deal!

@ Academy! Federal Premium® 5.56 x 45mm 62-grain Centerfire Rifle Ammunition 12500 rounds

Item #:
    XM855BAR
    SKU #:

Price: $6,499.99

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All fun and games until you have to return fire in a prone position. 30 Round mags expose more of my bean then I want!
    There are techniques for turning the gun 90 degrees and shooting, but I agree that the extremely long mags are not nearly as useful in CQB as people want them to be.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    DON'T get me started on what a BAD idea these are. --- SAWMAN

Wow! Only five minutes to respond to that. I knew it would light your fire. LOL

I actually own two 30 round mags and they have never been loaded. Still in the package.

Frank, they have a limit of 2. I'm not sure that's enough.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are techniques for turning the gun 90 degrees and shooting, but I agree that the extremely long mags are not nearly as useful in CQB as people want them to be.

Yep, but not my preferred method engagement. I believe in being "one with the dirt" when cover is not available. Already "cant" with a 30 rounder. With all the other stresses it can only make my hit potential go down hill. Another reason to practice more! Lol

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what it will look like. My guess is Magpul did this just to piss off the gun grabbers in Colorado, after they forced them to move their magazine production factory out of state.

1013432_527429547306121_458113264_n.jpg

Attachments

• 1013432_527429547306121_458113264_n.jpg
      1013432_527429547306121_458113264_n.jpg
      32.1 KB · Views: 84

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what it will look like. My guess is Magpul did this just to piss off the gun grabbers in Colorado, after they forced them to move their magazine production factory out of state.

View attachment 8990

It was in design and R&D long before the CO stuff came about, it was developed to compete with the Surefire 60 and for 3 gun shooting. It has a few other applications as well for those doing a lot of vehicle work who may need a little more ammo on board for immediate action to an ambush. Since I'm no longer doing that kind of stuff I doubt I'll get any.
    It's just as easy to spray and pray with a 5, 10 or 20 round mag, you just have to reload more often. From my experience, those who are prone to spray and pray will do it regardless of the magazine capacity.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    First...Mag-Pul will sell these. Who will buy them. Damn near everybody,professionals and non. They will buy them cuz: 1.they hold more ammo 2.they are cool 3. investment(?) 4.the guys at the range(or in the dirt pit) do not have them. Whatever the reason they will sell. Just not to me.

My reasoning ---> They are about three times longer than they have to be. As stated above,if I am being shot at,I want to be breathing dirt. While breathing dirt,I could possibly feel the need to shoot back. And....BTW.....in my personal experience I have NEVER found the need to be able to shoot any long arm sideways. The "three gun" guys might, and the guys that pretty regularly need to take cover behind or under a car might.

In fact during my combat experience we almost never used a 30 shot mag unless fired out of a helo. It pretty much negates the purpose of using a small,light,M4 type carbine. Not so much for the weight but more due to the length, and making the weapon harder to swing,point,and generally carry in one hand. I also used to find it much easier to carry multiple pouches of 4X20rd than 3X30rd.(10rds difference) However back in the day our safety selector was most always selected to "semi" vs "full". We never found a good reason to spray(unless using a SAW).

Nowadays,if I wanted/needed more firepower from my AR I would buy and fine tune the Beta Mags. I have heard good things about this type of mag lately. But.....hard to load,hard to carry an extra (or three),and somewhat heavy.

Basically I would say...buy and use whichever mag allows you to do your work better than the next guy. Remember....you just might have to fight him one day. --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom