• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My go-to firearm for the closer range critters is my Benelli M1 Super 90 with it's 18.5" bbl and modified or full choke.
    I typically use 3" #2 lead,or my reloads of 1.5ozs of #8 hard (magnum) shot loaded in once fired Win "AA" wads. Max load,max pressure.
    For yotes I never use a FMJ. My morals dictate that I make a quick clean kill on yotes,hogs,etc.
    If you choose to use a FMJ put it on heavy bone going in.
    Been tempted to try a M855 on a big hog .... ? ....(in the perfect situation)but I have other ammo and chamberings for that purpose.
    DO YOU ???? --- SAWMAN

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Or would it be better to use an expanding bullet? Coons, coyotes, possums, crows etc...
    Most of these pests can be shooed off with an aggressive wave of your hands and a loud shout. HAHA

It's OK to let some of things out there walk and live if it ain't biting your leg. Those other real scary pests can be brought down with a hollow point .22 from a Stevens single shot.

Don't take it wrong, I hate pests too. It just seems like 3 out 4 on your list aren't much of a pest. I've killed 200 flies in one morning when we lived in the glorious dump of Eastern New Mexico (Cannon AFB). Those dairy farms grew millions of pests a day.

Curious, whats a good goto tool for pesky flies? Shotgun or .22?

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    i had a possum in the coop this morning. (got to go out later to see where it got in) i cornered it in a nesting box and put the 10/22 barrel right against its head. way less noise to alarm neighbors at oh dark thirty. the fact that it made it into the coop was all the evidence needed to warrant the death penalty.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    With .223/5.56 I would definitely use SP or HP.
    That being said, I killed a couple of fairly large coyotes in Northern MS with 7.62 FMJ at about 80 yds. Killed both and neither went more than 10 ft. Same trip I killed several large beavers with the same 7.62x39 and was very effective!

Last edited:

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My go-to firearm for the closer range critters is my Benelli M1 Super 90 with it's 18.5" bbl and modified or full choke.
    I typically use 3" #2 lead,or my reloads of 1.5ozs of #8 hard (magnum) shot loaded in once fired Win "AA" wads. Max load,max pressure.
    For yotes I never use a FMJ. My morals dictate that I make a quick clean kill on yotes,hogs,etc.
    If you choose to use a FMJ put it on heavy bone going in.
    Been tempted to try a M855 on a big hog .... ? ....(in the perfect situation)but I have other ammo and chamberings for that purpose.
    DO YOU ???? --- SAWMAN
    I've dropped a few Hogs using M193 (55 grain FMJ) all of which where inside of 75 yards. Normally into the upper half of the shoulder. The 7.62 x 39 154 grain HP seems to anchor Hogs better. It's hard to beat a shotgun inside of 50 yards. JMHO.

Attachments

• 556.jpg
      556.jpg
      38.7 KB · Views: 61

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My goal is to put a 855 or 193 on the upper scapula of a 200lb+ boar hog. The bbl twist rate should be 1:7 or faster. The range should be .... CLOSE.
    My main concern would be - -> will the bullet yaw and/or pitch within a short internal distance ??
    I have talked to people out in Texas that load the .224" 75-80gr bullets in some of the faster 224cal guns (224V,etc),even loaded in a 223/5.56,and they report a larger than "normal" internal shock cone and a big exit wound ... IF the bullet even exits. ( PITCH,YAW ???) --- SAWMAN

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    A hardcast,especially a WFNGC (wide flat nose gas check) starts with a larger bore diameter. Usually .357"+. They also have a larger meplate (nose profile/diameter).
    The hardcast lead bullets will "fold back" on impact. I have measured a few that were half again their origional bore size. I say a few because the penetrate streight and true. They readily smash heavy bone instead a just pushing through it with a bore diameter hole.
    There is no jacket to shed which some of the advertised "bonded" bullets do.
    I have used and killed,moose,bear,the bigger Main deer,etc,with the hardcast style. This,using 458,454,451,429 bore size bullets.
    I had a 45-70 hardcast that penetrated 5 feet of moose AFTER going through,and smashing,the rear hip. A 405gr WFNGC coming out a 16" bbl. --- SAWMAN

Bodhi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Was thinking about this, hardcast is supposed to be the great rd for hunting bigger game what is the difference between that and fmj??

FMJ can deform. Most FMJ has a very soft lead core, and when driven to higher velocities in reloads, can flatten out or even mushroom. OTOH, hard cast tends to be harder and less likely to deform. Of course, YMMV.

diesel2256

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    55gr 223 out of a 16" barrel has done a wonderful job on medium hogs (sub 100 yards) and coyotes out to around 200. The 223 is fine for farther out, but identification between a coyote and a small deer can get a bit difficult past 300 with my thermal. I have some HP 223 around somewhere, but eh... for shooting these pests I don't really care if they run 10ft or 50ft before dropping.

Incidentally, 223 FMJ has done a better job than 308 FMJ on the coyotes out here -- the 308 was having a tendency to just punch neat little holes through them, whereas the 223 made a mess no matter where they were hit.

If you're around Defuniak Springs and want all your coyotes murdered, send me a PM :D

Attachments

• IMG_20211021_224131_231.jpg
      IMG_20211021_224131_231.jpg
      33.4 KB · Views: 57
    Top Bottom