• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm leaving out of PNS on Wednesday headed to Miami. Obviously I've procrastinated on this, but I would like to take my XDs with me as I will be in FL the whole time, and my AL permit is valid. After doing some googling it looks like all I have to do is unload it, put it in the factory case, and pick up a couple locks at WalMart. Then put the ammo in a box and leave that loose in the luggage. Of course I will have to declare it at the counter. Is that really all I have to do? Figured I would ask some people who've actually done this than watching three year old videos on YouTube.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May want to call the airliner ahead if time, and keep the ammo seperate and in original factory box.

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I drive my trips(for other reasons), but word in 09 was had to be factory boxes. Calling ahead should answer that question. I would want to make sure, though, before I was at the ticket counter checking bags. Fly safe,

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    READ THIS LINK! Your factory gun box might not be good enough to fly with. Ammo CAN go in the same
    Luggage as the locked gun case, mags must be in a locked case (same as gun is okay)
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Fl airport terminals (inside the building) are gun free zones. Have it packed before you enter. After you get your bags, gear up discreetly outside or at car rental.

You can pull partially disassemble and put guide rods/spring/barrel in seperate baggage. Airlines vary on their policies so check there . In addition to a locking box for the gun, your bag should be lockable and hard sided. Put your boxed ammo in a freezer bag.

Back in the day, you also had to do a form at the counter when you "declared" the firearm. Special gun tag was put ON the outside of the bag which translates to STEAL ME. These tags could (and mine did) go inside the bag! This was before we had TSA. So ask about it.

Clean your gun and holster to get rid or all powder residue if you are going to wear/handle it before you fly. The TSA sniffer machines will detect it on your clothes or hands and you will get pulled to the side (even if your CCP or LE with ID).

Whenever possibly, I leave my handgun behind and arrange for a loaner on the other end.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Ammunition must be in its original packaging or in a container made to hold ammunition. Firearms must be unloaded and in a locked hard case. In the case of a handgun, besides being in a locked hard case, it must be in a suitcase that can be locked. The handgun must also be declared with the airline at the time of check-in. Ammunition can be in the same suitcase in its original packaging or approved ammunition container as I said. It is advised that it not be positioned in the same area as the handgun case. Bear in mind, when the baggage is scanned by TSA, you do face the possibility of them having to search the bag to make sure that you are in compliance with federal regulations. This means that you could be called upon by the airline to provide keys so that TSA can unlock the suitcase and the handgun's hard case. Everything will be locked up before the keys are returned to you by the airline. A word of advice, I advise not using a soft-sided suitcase (w/ zipper closure) and the cheap little locks they come with. They are not secure. Hard-sided suitcases with built-in combination locks are the best option. Take it from me. I worked for TSA for 10 years.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thank you. All I have I'd a soft sided suitcase with a zipper. I will buy a separate lock. Do you recommend scrapping the while idea since I don't have hard sided luggage?

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What ever the airline rules is what you got to go by, you need to call them are read they instruction on taking a weapon, better safe then get into a bunch of red tape on he said, they said m16 keep us in the loop on how it goes?

Do you have anyone on the other end that will loan you one while your down there?

Keep us in the loop how your trip turns out?

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nope. Despite what jimmy Buffett says, I don't have a cousin in Miami. I'll call and see what they say. It's not too big of a deal. I don't expect any trouble in Miami or key west. But if I can do it, I certainly will.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Thank you. All I have I'd a soft sided suitcase with a zipper. I will buy a separate lock. Do you recommend scrapping the while idea since I don't have hard sided luggage?

All I will add is that it is your choice. I know what is best from my experience. Zippered and locked luggage is too inviting for the less than honorable people. It sends a message to them that something of value may be inside. The zippers are too easily breached. You have to ask yourself if the risk is worth it.

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    What ever the airline rules is what you got to go by, you need to call them are read they instruction on taking a weapon, better safe then get into a bunch of red tape on he said, they said m16 keep us in the loop on how it goes?

Do you have anyone on the other end that will loan you one while your down there?

Keep us in the loop how your trip turns out?

It not so much the airline's rules as it is federal regulations regarding transportation that have to be complied with. The airlines are governed by these regulations.

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got here just fine. Only problem was when the lady at the counter asked if they were TSA approved locks. "Uhhh, sure." I found some of those in between flights in ATL. So I'll be good to go. I feel much better being down here with the XDs on my hip.

Top Bottom