• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take this with a grain of salt and the reply that @Action gets from the AG would confirm or deny this but, I was down picking up some fingerprint cards at the Foley PD and asked the Officer taking my prints about this. He indicated to me that 'anyone can conceal carry in the state if they are legally allowed to own the firearm'.

His answer has me wondering if an Officer sees you conceal carry can they validate that you're legally allowed to have the gun in the first place? Is someone carrying concealed now enough for LEO's to run background checks?

Seems like this particular piece of legislation while well intended is creating a lot of additional questions and potential issues...

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Take this with a grain of salt and the reply that @Action gets from the AG would confirm or deny this but, I was down picking up some fingerprint cards at the Foley PD and asked the Officer taking my prints about this. He indicated to me that 'anyone can conceal carry in the state if they are legally allowed to own the firearm'.

His answer has me wondering if an Officer sees you conceal carry can they validate that you're legally allowed to have the gun in the first place? Is someone carrying concealed now enough for LEO's to run background checks?

Seems like this particular piece of legislation while well intended is creating a lot of additional questions and potential issues...
    They instituted a new "prohibited persons" database that they can search... I just wonder if it's a nationwide database, or Alabama records only.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Here you go:

https://casetext.com/statute/code-o...-33-state-firearms-prohibited-person-database

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They instituted a new "prohibited persons" database that they can search... I just wonder if it's a nationwide database, or Alabama records only.
    It’s alabama only. That’s where the questions come in. This law was changed 10 times before it was signed into law. It was intended for Alabama residents only but the wording is jacked up as usual.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had no idea this was a thing, thats a great idea actually and thanks for posting it.

On another note Veterans get a a free lifetime Conceal Carry Permit in Alabama now so it's just far easier to carry that along with the DL. All problems solved and LEOs can breathe easier!
    Yep... nothing wrong with an option with perks : )

I think in TN they have or are considering an "enhanced" permit that allows carry in schools.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I had no idea this was a thing, thats a great idea actually and thanks for posting it.

On another note Veterans get a a free lifetime Conceal Carry Permit in Alabama now so it's just far easier to carry that along with the DL. All problems solved and LEOs can breathe easier!
    Actually retired military and retired LEO's get free lifetime concealed carry permits in Alabama.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yep... but it definitely doesn't say:

3 This bill would eliminate the requirement
    4 for any Alabama resident to obtain a concealed carry permit in
    5 order to lawfully carry a pistol.

Imagine if your freedom of speech ended at the state line : )
    In some ways I think it does, depending where you go.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    It's for honorably disharged Vets as well
    That is correct for the proposed Senate Bill 308 that has yet to be passed. Currently it stipulates veterans with proof of retirement. (IMO, it will most likely pass as Alabama is a very veteran friendly state.)

Attachments

• ccwbill.jpg
      ccwbill.jpg
      237.6 KB · Views: 26

MarkJ

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is correct for the proposed Senate Bill 308 that has yet to be passed. Currently it stipulates veterans with proof of retirement. (IMO, it will most likely pass as Alabama is a very veteran friendly state.)
    I'm not retired and they gave it to me. I did need to bring my DD214 to prove Honorable Discharge. Perhaps the Sheriff is already treating this like it's passed. It's lifetime as well with no expiration.

Either way I am happy!

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'm not retired and they gave it to me. I did need to bring my DD214 to prove Honorable Discharge. Perhaps the Sheriff is already treating this like it's passed. It's lifetime as well with no expiration.

Either way I am happy!
    I think that Hoss Mack is treating it like it did pass (and probably will). Congrats and another good reason to be an AL resident! FWIW, if you have a 40% or more VA disability you can get a free AL fishing and hunting license.

Top Bottom