• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    And next year. And the next. And the one after that. And....

TOURISM. It is all about providing an inviting, safe environment where the tourism industry (see FL "republicans) can whore itself for $$$$$. Sorry if that's so harsh, I toned it down the best I could....
    Which of course is a complete B.S. excuse they've been using since JANET RENO was Assistant State Attorney for Dade County (1987). And the NRA said "next year" (1988) then:

https://www.floridacarry.org/issues...141-janet-reno-s-ban-on-open-carry-in-florida

Alabama and Georgia both allow open carry. Been to either one lately? See anyone open-carrying? It's not required, it's allowed. And anyone too stupid to know when open carry is appropriate is too stupid to carry concealed as well.

Now, Florida lets those "too stupid to know when open carry is appropriate" carry concealed without a permit. And several "top" Florida LEOs said this is what they wanted. To show how crazy an open carry ban is, the only other states that do it are California, Illinois, and New York!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com...arry-.html?soid=1114009452090&aid=H7tz1aiylK0

Explained this and more to DeSantis in two e-mails. I'm sure no one read it. Which is why my support for DeSantis ended. Wouldn't vote for him again even if he was running against Hunter Biden. I don't "settle" for least-worst :)

Last edited:

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Many years ago I remember that was tried in Miami lasted about a week. Had thousands of people who came from Cuba where nobody can have a gun it got out of control fast.

DblBrlJoe

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think we should be able to open carry and then have the sense not to, or do so after considering the time and place. And, I think we can all agree that the young men who decide to use their right to open carry by toting AR’s through a toy store for a YouTube stunt aren’t doing us any favors politically.

I recognize it’s a debate, and everyone has their opinions on it, but my mindset is to prepare for a trained, committed adversary. Open carry can have a deterrent effect on low level bad guys, but I don’t like tipping my hand to someone who now knows to take me out first before I can become a threat to their plans.

Not to say there isn’t a time and place for it, but they seem few and far between for an average city dweller to me.
    Not to say I disagree with much of your comment here. I am curious if you can cite to me the “”toting ar through a toy store” stunt for YouTube. I hear of many things stupid in this world, but when I search for this, I find none.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s been a long time ago now, but there some young men in an open carry state that walked around in a Toys R Us with AR’s on sling and filmed it. I’m about to head out to a Pinewood Derby, but a quick search didn’t bring it up for me either. I will see if I can find it, but if someone can beat me to it, please do!

Hank62

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No loss to me, never wanted to open carry. I am for one’s right to though.
    Any loss of a right is a loss to everyone!

I grew up in a small town in n. Florida, even as a teenager I open carried everywhere. No one even batted an eye.
    It even went as far as, taking my shotgun to school on the bus so that I could go bird hunting after. We would leave it in the principal's office and pick it up after school.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Dobs

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    And next year. And the next. And the one after that. And....

TOURISM. It is all about providing an inviting, safe environment where the tourism industry (see FL "republicans) can whore itself for $$$$$. Sorry if that's so harsh, I toned it down the best I could....
    You hit the nail on the head. But to be honest, while I like my guns, and love to shoot, I’m not a fan of constitutional carry either. This forum has guys/gals who grew up with guns, taught gun safety, and don’t think a thing about handling a gun safely… I’ve seen quite a few who should never be allowed or have no clue what happens with the business end…. A class is not a bad thing IMO. Plus CC permit allows state border crossing…

Anyhow, the OP hit the nail on the head with Tourism.

Jmb2006

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So I feel the same I will not open carry, however in Florida if you conceal carry and at any point you weapon becomes visible you are in violation of the law and subject to arrest. The smallest thing like bending down to pick up something and your shirt rising can get you. That is where open carry law would protect you. If has its benefits, but like you I will not broadcast my choices no one needs to know what I have.

No loss to me, never wanted to open carry. I am for one’s right to though.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    It’s been a long time ago now, but there some young men in an open carry state that walked around in a Toys R Us with AR’s on sling and filmed it. I’m about to head out to a Pinewood Derby, but a quick search didn’t bring it up for me either. I will see if I can find it, but if someone can beat me to it, please do!
    "Pinewood derby" as a cub scout I didn't get to build my own car, Grandpa did. It was abysmal. I help my brother build a winner, looked like a Turtle with his neck stretched out. Years later we recreated for my son, after he won his pack derby, we got to move on to a Ft Lauderdale wide event. He was teased so bad he was in tears and wanted to leave. He took home 2nd place! They actually had a father's class, in an attempt to let the boys actually participate ;) I didn't go one round??
    When we came back home to AL, my son competed against a boy who, like his older brother, had never lost. Everyone, especially Billy, just thought they should just give him 1st place when he walked in. AJ had carved out a canoe with an Indian chief in it, he broke Billy's heart, along with his dad's. I sure miss those days...

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Went to highschool in Anchorage, back then there was no concealed carry, it was normal to see most people with holsters strapped on. Back when I was in South Florida after hurricane Andrew, I concealed carry 24/7 & presented it more than once, but I had my AL permit. That actually got me out of a couple of traffic tickets. I've carried since I was 18, and have maintained my CCL since I was 21. I really never thought about weather it was anyone's business, or if I was breaking someone's policy, I just exercise my God given rights! That said, it seems like it's always people that act like jack asses that ruin it for others.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I did a job in Gadsden, AL and remember going to the wally world for supplies. Never had I seen so many people open carrying pistols. There was this great calmness about it. What thug would try anything knowing that many people were strapped?

Might not work everywhere, but it seemed right.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I did a job in Gadsden, AL and remember going to the wally world for supplies. Never had I seen so many people open carrying pistols. There was this great calmness about it. What thug would try anything knowing that many people were strapped?

Not sure who said it, but it's a quote full of wisdom;
    "An armed society is a polite society" Especially open carry, my experiences anyways.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

BINGO.

The problems arise when not enough people are doing it.

Kowpot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    People in power are not angles. A cop has power of arrest. Having a gun concealed doesn't prevent him from saying you were carrying it openly. Who is right in a court, is down to your word against his. The court will believe the cop over you without supporting evidence. The idea concealed carry solves the problems of unlawful authority is foolish. The point of a law restricting open carry is to have control of the people. Concealed carry doesn't make you immune to unlawful authority. It wasn't that long ago local Sheriff's Office had problems described in the about GA. https://www.ammoland.com/2024/02/sa...-up-in-dismissed-shooting-case/#axzz8QaVMUd8m There is no guarantee that it won't come back.
    The advantage to open carry is, that you don't have to worry about "printing" while conceal carrying.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Which of course is a complete B.S. excuse they've been using since JANET RENO was Assistant State Attorney for Dade County (1987). And the NRA said "next year" (1988) then:

https://www.floridacarry.org/issues...141-janet-reno-s-ban-on-open-carry-in-florida

Alabama and Georgia both allow open carry. Been to either one lately? See anyone open-carrying? It's not required, it's allowed. And anyone too stupid to know when open carry is appropriate is too stupid to carry concealed as well.

Now, Florida lets those "too stupid to know when open carry is appropriate" carry concealed without a permit. And several "top" Florida LEOs said this is what they wanted. To show how crazy an open carry ban is, the only other states that do it are California, Illinois, and New York!

https://myemail.constantcontact.com...arry-.html?soid=1114009452090&aid=H7tz1aiylK0

Explained this and more to DeSantis in two e-mails. I'm sure no one read it. Which is why my support for DeSantis ended. Wouldn't vote for him again even if he was running against Hunter Biden. I don't "settle" for least-worst :)
    Yes, Sir. BLUF, why can't my "country," that supposedly trusted thousands of us to preserve and defend The Nation, to own and use any effin' thing they want? The obvious answer is, "law makers" are up to some @#$% they know is illegal/wrong, are projecting their own guilt onto society in the name of "safety," and they know that we know they know they know. (Borrowed from STP :cool:)

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You hit the nail on the head. But to be honest, while I like my guns, and love to shoot, I’m not a fan of constitutional carry either. This forum has guys/gals who grew up with guns, taught gun safety, and don’t think a thing about handling a gun safely… I’ve seen quite a few who should never be allowed or have no clue what happens with the business end…. A class is not a bad thing IMO. Plus CC permit allows state border crossing…

Anyhow, the OP hit the nail on the head with Tourism.
    Bruh, I am all about some people should not have access to certain items, but government should not be deciding that. WE should, and "they" outta be gettin' after it as WE desire. All weighed/validated against the Constitution, and not open to interpretation.

Miami_JBT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In Florida it is written in the statute (790.053) that it is ok to briefly have your concealed weapon visible briefly as long as it is not done in an angry or threatening manner. That's the "my shirt came up" or "my jacket blew open" law that allows for real life to happen without an overzealous officer making weak cases.
    And yet a man was arrested for open carry in his own yard in FL. And open carrying in one's own yard is one of the few places you can do it.

Miami_JBT

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Has this actually happened to you or anyone you know personally? I ask because it seems a bit of a reach for an officer, in the days of body cams and cell phones, to claim something was openly carried when it wasn't. There's even a clause in the 790 statutes that states that "this section will be liberally construed in favor of the right to bear arms" or some language that clearly communicates any benefit of a doubt should go to a lawful gun owner. I get that people have concerns, and when guns are in play those concerns get a bit of an edge on them because the stakes are higher. Cops lose court cases all the time so the idea that a court will always side with the officer is not true by a long shot.

I'm not even against the idea of lawful open carry, either. I started off by saying it should be our right to do so, but I can't see one of the justifications for it being that an officer could act outside the law and arrest someone for a crime they didn't commit.

tros6t

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After Ohio started open carry, people would walk around Walmart with AR’s and Ak’s strapped on! Fairly sure, most stores posted signs forbidden that! I’ve heard arguments both ways and pros and cons for both. However, I wouldn’t open carry if it was legal and am kind of hoping Florida doesn’t approve it! But that’s just me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom