• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As the title states,
    I Duck hunting this season for the first time and would like some shotgun advise.
    I dove hunted numerous times back where I from but never duck hunted. While hunting dove I used a side by side 20ga. I own a 12ga home defense gun and other than that, I have no expirience.
    Advise, suggestions, guns for sale- welcome.

I'd like to be in the 300-500 price range if possible.
    Pump or Auto ? Not Sure which would suite the job the best.
    Thanks,

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You can't go wrong with an 870 or 1100. Really anything you can change choke tubes will work well...Some will say a 30 inch tube but I like a shorter one myself.26 or 28. I seem to be able to swing them faster and they are easyer to handle in a blind.Should have added 12 gauge.

Last edited:

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have seen alot of 870s- the short barrel would probly suit me best since I'm short myself.
    Is there much difference in effectiveness between a pump or semi-automatic?

AUtiger01

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Barrel length depends on how you plan to hunt. Are you planning on hunting out of pit blinds or layout blinds? If so, the 26" barrel would be much easier to deal with in those tighter spaces. The 870 is in that price range as well as a Benelli Nova pump. If you get serious about it and plan on hunting in adverse weather (mud, freezing rain, etc), save up for a good autoloader such as Benelli, Winchester, Browning. I personally have a Benelli M2 and have put it through its paces in the Mississippi Delta and wouldn't have anything else. Just my thoughts.

FowlHunter13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I myself use an 870 12 Gauge with a 26" barrel and a variety of Kicks High Flier chokes depending on what flavor duck I am hunting. My 870 is a bit of a "frankenstien" to be honest. It started life as a marine magnum stainless/electroless nickel with an 18 1/2" barrel and extended magazine tube. I bought a 26" rem choke barrel, standard mag tube cap, a set of camo stocks and a camo shoulder strap. That was about 15 years ago with the intent of buying a dedicated duck gun. Well, I am still using it to this day with no plans to replace it with anything else. I have to admit that I do like the look and feel of the Benelli Nova and if I ever do replace the 870, that is what I would get if not another 870.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sell your home defense shotgun and buy my Mossberg 500 with two barrels that I have in the classifieds. You would still have the short barrel when you want it plus it comes with a 28" barrel for hunting. Problem solved.

CCC23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    1100s / 870s / 1187s seem to be top of my list
    These models are the most recommended thus far.

-auto vs pump....
    That is the question...

outside9

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I own 3 1100s and at least 2 or 3 870s. If I'm going hunting for ducks or dove I like a pump. I grew up with both, and the pump forces me to slow down and think about my shooting. Just works better for me, others may be different.

I have never had a jam with a pump and they will shoot cheap/low brass shells.

Top Bottom