• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldefoxx

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hate to say it, but the Search feature is a piece of crud. With over 25 posts to my credit, it can only find three, and these are not the one I seek.

I put a post in earlier where I said Let Me Try Posting This Way, and posted what I had written as a long text document. It fit within the limits allowed, and some people liked it. It was about trajectories, sighting, and laser bore sighters. I spent some time today and did a drawing of what trajectories would look like, wrote some text to go with it, then converted it to a JPG file for inclusion. Can't find the original post now, so I will put it in separately here.

Attachments

• Project1.jpg
      Project1.jpg
      340.8 KB · Views: 151

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I hate to say it, but the Search feature is a piece of crud. With over 25 posts to my credit, it can only find three, and these are not the one I seek.

I put a post in earlier where I said Let Me Try Posting This Way, and posted what I had written as a long text document. It fit within the limits allowed, and some people liked it. It was about trajectories, sighting, and laser bore sighters. I spent some time today and did a drawing of what trajectories would look like, wrote some text to go with it, then converted it to a JPG file for inclusion. Can't find the original post now, so I will put it in separately here.

Did you try clicking on your name or My Profile in the upper right hand corner? It will take you to your profile, which will show you everything you have posted, at least it does for me.

The forum has a size limit for posted pictures, so the .jpg file you attached is only showing part of your document down to the sentence after number (6). Since it's a .jpg file, there is no way to scroll down to see the rest.

I'm not positive, but I believe you can attach PDF files which may be a better choice if you have the ability to convert to that format. Master Chief (Ben) could answer that question.

BTW, your topic is something I'm interested in, so I hope you get it to work.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The search function isn't any google for sure... but you do have the ability to view your own posts easily in the way that Pat described above.

joe

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You could just look at the threads listed below as it is on the front page & only 8 threads below this one.

Yes I am being a Smart ASS today. We all have our days. :yo:

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    all you have to do is click on your name and then on started threads on the left side and see all your started threads...it works that way on almost ALL forums.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not trying to be a smartass( simply trying to save the OP from ALOT of uneccessary work), but who do you think here needs such basic info? Over half the members are veterans and/or the other half hunt and/or has experience in distance shooting......99% knows what causes a bullet to fall.

What exactly are you trying to share? Distance shooting? Is this something that can be translated well online?

I've been interested in distance shooting since my days in the Marine Corps and routinely shot out to 500 yds with a M-16 with iron sights. I even got me a "sniper" rifle and went out to the range, with an actual Marine sniper buddy and I'm here to tell you- No matter how much info he layed out to me, I still can't grasp all the intricacies necessary to consistantly hold a 2" group at 1K+ yds( and quickly lost the urge to do so), but I did learn one thing, You have to get into reloading your own bullets- hand pick the brass and bullets, the powder, the primers, etc. Hand build your guns, learn how to bed custom barrels and custom actions and triggers into custom stocks and mount custom glass onto custom rings, etc. It's a neverending, expensive obession that very few maintain.

Just a suggestion, having those interested asking any questions they might have. I'm sure those interested would like to share their experience, too.

oldefoxx

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It s not basic info, unless you were one of the ones who got the added shooting instructions in something like boot camp. Some people believe that the fired round rises naturally at the start of its journey, which is not true, the gun has to be sighted or aimed that way on purpose. Some people think the way to hit a fast moving target like a car, motorcycle, plane, or bird that is crossing your field of vision it to aim right at it are wrong, because they have to lead the target with their shots. Every bird hunter knows that, but not every shooter thinks or remembers to do it on their own. You don't have a sighting mechanism for handling leads of that nature, so you are apt to miss. What did the defenders at Pearl Harbor shoot down, two zeros? It wasn,t because they weren't trying.

I did not use my profile because I did not know it could work that way. I care less about filling in details of my life since that would be a definate bore to most people. I have never chanced on a drawing that shows how the trajectory of rounds would appear, and I thought it was something worth adding. I also added an explanation of what it is intended to show so that it had real meaning. Just because you know, does not mean that every one else does. People ask questions when they realize they don't know something, and most people don't know what they don't know, so what question should then come to mind? You seem like such a wiz, why don't you start your own dumb and dumber thread?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    " You seem like such a wiz, why don't you start your own dumb and dumber thread? "

We already have one here...LOL CCHGN, is right, this basic info is all over the net...Thanks though, I guess it does cure the boredom...

oldefoxx

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I spent about 9 months teaching the rifle and pistol at Parris Island the last year I was in the Marines. You learn what people don't know when you try to teach them something new. I try to be prepared for the dumb and dumber, or should I say ignorant and idiotic responses I get. First time I've run into the "we all know more than you credit us for" type of response from a few cynics though. Believe me, nobody knows it all, and even those that think they do, are not in a position to speak for everyone else.

oldefoxx

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was having a problem with the article I wrote on trajectories, sighting, and laser bore sighters, in that at certain points I needed a picture to illustrate my points, but did not have one. I did the above image with a free program named PowerDraw which I had not used before, but it turned out to be adequate to the task. I tied it together with the text from Word using Microsoft's Picture It! 2002, which itself was later integrated into the Office Suite. For downloading PowerDraw, there is this link: http://download.cnet.com/PowerDraw/3000-6677_4-10524100.html. Don't worry, it's free. Unfortunately, it only saves files in PWD format, which is not common. That is where Picture It! fit in.

I'm thinking of illustrating how to set up and align a laser bore sighter now. It's not tricky, but as they say, a picture is worth [at least] 1,000 words.

Patoz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    " You seem like such a wiz, why don't you start your own dumb and dumber thread? "

We already have one here...LOL CCHGN, is right, this basic info is all over the net...Thanks though, I guess it does cure the boredom...

Damn Frank, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Give the man a chance...this is no way to treat a new member! A least he is offering something and contributing to the forum, unlike some who just jump on here and their first post is trying to sell some overpriced junk that is as you say, "all over the internet".

I for one, am not an expert and learn something from everything I read, and I read a lot. If he has the knowledge and experience and is willing to take the time to write about it, I think we should be appreciative instead of giving him a hard time about it.

BTW oldefoxx, :welcome: to the forum!

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom