• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was a few years ago that I first saw CIA's distressed, rag adorned "Battle Worn" rifle enter the market, maybe it filled a nitch for all those war trophies that can't be brought home anymore. There have been a few others since then with some distressed to look like Old West worn SAA's clones, some WWII themed 1911s and Thompson 1927s too. SIG has not been shy about color finishes (though not as garish as Charter Arms) on their P238/239s and 1911s and have done theme and distressed combinations also. Today I see a SIG "Campaign Series" disterssed 1911 offered by Bass Pro and Cabeles but not Listed in SIGs OnLine products. It might be exclusive to those Stores or a Talo thing. I've seen privatly owned firearms get speciality finishes with worn characteristics too. I understand factory commemorative engraving/etching/laser on new finishes. I barely get the theme/distressed combo nostalgia appeal but the I don't see any appeal for fake combat worn finish on "new" firearms.

What are your thoughts on these models/finishes? I just don't get it, what am I missing?

stage20

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Some of them look pretty cool. It's like the guys that spend 10K on a new paint job to make it appear like a barn find that has patina. I'd never pay for it, but I wouldn't pass on a deal because it had it.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    When I bought my two XM177E2's from Troy,I got them because they were prestine. All colors matched. Not quite as I remember,but extremely close.
    One was presented to a friend as a gift and the other was for me.
    I did several mods on it to make it "similar" to what I remembered.
    When we got our first guns they were in really good shape. A little scuffed up but generally great. Me and a buddy got the best two of the bunch since we just happened to be in the right spot at the right time.
    My boss quickly claimed mine and I found myself with something different altogether.
    We all traded back and forth as necessary anyway,however he was a bit "rough" on his. I eventually ended up with it back in a couple months anyway.
    My Troy gun was/is just a keepsake. A rememberance of the good ol' daze. I came really close to "distressing" it. However,I did not have a way to do it,and make it look even semi original so I did not attempt it.
    It has been carried in several different ways now and has started to shine on the extreme edges. Rattling around in the back of my buggy has shined it up some. But nothing like I would really like to see.
    There are companies that will professionally do this for you. However it would evolve shipping and trust . . . neither of which I am prepared to do.
    I suppose that the owner could accomplish this slowly, over time. However,at this point I am not prepared to take the time to get it done. ---- SAWMAN

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    It’s like the people that buy a new Fender Stratocaster and “relics” it so it looks like they’ve been on the road for years.
    Makes no sense to me.

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    To me honest wear on a handgun, rifle, shotgun, vehicle, or guitar is worth 10 times more than any type of faked relic finish! As a former helicopter gunner who wore the hydraulic stained flightsuits with tiny burn holes in them from slag off 2.75 rockets. The helicopter aircrews looked a bit rough and unshaven from living in frequent field conditions. I did not look "polished" in neatly pressed flightsuits like the jet jockeys and ash & trash cargo haulers did! So I guess that is why I appreciate the not faked battle worn look! Just my .02 worth and no offense to any REMF's :D

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I do have a bunch of retro mags though. Extremely rough looking with aluminum followers. We were only allowed to use 20's so that is mostly what I have. They are mostly Colt /Pony and a few OKAY brand. With just several "era" 30's mixed in just "because".
    The only other mags I have are the MagPul's for my other small and large frame AR's. These are in 5,10,20,and 30 shot capacities. I will not even get them close to my retro guns. ---- SAWMAN

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A scar on a working dog is a badge of honor and equally, a well worn gun that has been in hells furnace deserves appreciation. So when I see those new factory produced battle/combat/duty "worn" imposters representing what they are not, I see them as probably the worse form of attempted tacticool yet produced. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic over the real deal. These mfrs products with a worn looks would be just another color scheme but their marketing names infer what they are intended to represent. As they're fakes or a deception in a sense, where is the appeal to owning owning one? Hey Bubba, I just bought a gun that "looks like"..... Yeah. If sombody painted fake blood on a bayonet, they'd be ridiculed but Mfrs put out battle/combat worn products. SMH.

I do like shootable replicas and modern production of older designs, I've had BP, SAA, lever guns, rolling blocks, M-14SA, Colt A2 and others. Many of us enjoy origional military arms that have "actually been a part of history". Enthusiasts that make their own Star Wars blaster, Dead Pool pistols or one of's per their taste and even the few steam punk firearms I've seen are interesting.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So, if you pay a premium for a "weathered finish" firearm, do you actually use it, or is it for display purposes only?

If you actually use it, and the "weathered finish" gets actual weathering, then does it look better or worse to you?

Seems counter-productive.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I have carried my 2 year old gun through some rough brush. Wish I were younger to treat it rougher. Really give it the "treatment". If I still hunted Eglin and the river swamp that would put some "miles" on it. But too old for that now.
    Still young enough to remember though. Back in the day our firearms were a tool to be used . . but never intentionally abused. Tried over the years to hold onto several of the guns I was familiar with,but it just never worked out. Carried a super "weathered" AK on a SAR mission a couple times. Came close to gettin' away with that gun . . . BUT . . . --- SAWMAN

Top Bottom