• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon_SPC

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I will be keeping mine loaded. Well mine isn't a "country chick" more of a "city girl" but I took her to the range to shoot my 45 my dads 9mm and ruger 22. All I can say after one range session she is saving for a conceal pistol (shield) and after she got a hold of my AR last night she wants one to. She even said "I will chip in half for the ammo!" man your own lady buying half of the ammo I'm liking this....... (Not married........yet)

Blue

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Loaded....goes the same for guns also....none of this condition 0, 1, 2 etc.....either a gun is ready to fire or it isn't.

Blue

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Honestly I have too many guns to keep them all loaded and too many mags, good grief, I am an old man, I would be dead loading all the ammo I have.

I'll load'em for you.....two for you.....one for me.....two for you.....:smile:

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been wanting to ask this too. I've read up on the issue and it seems about 60/40 loaded/unloaded on the internet. For some reason I trust the opinions of you bunch of bozos more than the mall ninjas on line.

Guess I'll be filling mags tomorrow night. I've been debating this for 6 years.

Last edited:

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also stock pile the glock 9mms. Currently have 4 glock 19s. (2 black, an original OD GREEN, and a FDE) 3 of the 4 have never been out of the box.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    I found a 1911 from WW2. Locked and loaded. Thick patina on the copper bullets. Your guess as to how long they stayed in the gun. My guess is 20+ years. Mag worked just fine.
    b9ed57f7a1dff8d4294ff9c38f34201f.jpg

0e3a090a6c0da41c14b8960642cf1aec.jpg

6573f518d502dc68cce68f00f31e7299.jpg

d69d1e3046f27c24ac20c7682dea83fd.jpg

I bought a Kimber from James (Tackleberry) the previous day, and my 1911 addiction started. The rest is history in the making.

Back to the point, if bullets can stay in a gun long enough to oxidize the copper like that, and still work:
    Load away!

Last edited:

JBryan314

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep seven 30 round PMags loaded up with Federal M855 62gr green tip 5.56 for my Colt M4. Six of the mags are in my rifleman's kit and one is on the shelf next to the M4. Basic combat load of 210 rounds ready to go at a moment's notice. I rotate the mags out every six months to rest the springs.

Also in the vest I have a 17 round Glock mag for a G17. I also have another 17 round mag that is with the G17 at all times. I would rotate them too, but I unload them and reload them frequently enough that they get their rest.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The extra mags for the ones beside the bed are loaded just like the pistols they fit.

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ive got rusted over AK mags that I loaded over 10 years ago that ran like a sewing machine, I keep everything loaded, AR, AK, beretta, CZ-82, and glock mags.

I will say this though, especially the pistol mags, If you keep any mags in your pocket, a bag, or backpack make sure you check them often for lint, dirt, sand, ect. My girlfriend keeps a couple extra CZ-82 mags in her purse and after being at the beach no matter how hard you try that Fort Walton powder sand will find its way in and get all gritty. They will usually run fine when shooting but if you hand feed the bullets out of the mag they will hang up, I just like to be safer than sorry. My glock 23 back up mag does the same thing I try to check it every few days and just take a couple rounds out and make sure it doesn't feel gritty and about once every month or so take them apart and clean them out with dish soap. Same goes for the glock 27. I wouldn't worry about the springs being loaded up, more about the mags being clean. All my others stay loaded and ready to roll.

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a Star Firestar 45 that I left the mag loaded for a year. Took it to the range and it was a single shot instead of a semi-auto due to the memory the springs developed. After that, I beleive in rotating the mags (between loaded and unloaded).

Mr. Katanga

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Had a Star Firestar 45 that I left the mag loaded for a year. Took it to the range and it was a single shot instead of a semi-auto due to the memory the springs developed. After that, I beleive in rotating the mags (between loaded and unloaded).

Sounds like a crappy/dirty mag, any decent mag will stay fine after years of storage

jakec

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i have 3 1911 mags loaded and 3 ar mags loaded. i only have 2 guns that take a mag. all my other guns are single shot, bolt action or revolvers. im gonna take my time killing things that need to die.

Top Bottom