• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeeB

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Try different rests, front and rear. Adjustments on the ARA target are very, very small at 50 yards so you need a way to move your sight picture minutely.

Swivel studs can disrupt your rests and make the rifle wobble. Consider removing them.

Fine tune your trigger to the lightest pull you are comfortable shooting. Then practice squeezing a lot.

Wind Example: is from the South East today and the Holt 100 yard range shoots West. That means wind would be from about 7-8 o'clock at the bench. It's also projected to be 10-12 mph which can move a .22 bullet more than 1/2 inch right and 1/4 inch down. Wind flags are very helpful. Below is a wind hold chart.
    Wind chart.jpg

Baddog 0302

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    lm no professional, but learned a lot about benchrest shooting from this sight.
    Not only benchrest, but any form of shooting that requires a high degree of accuracy .
    Somewhere on the Rimfire site, and elsewhere [internet] where different brands of 22 LR ammo are tested, they talk about "seasoning the bore". Basically when testing different brands of 22 ammo { RWS, ELLY, LAPUA,Fed. ect} that have different coatings on their bullets and it takes 10 to 15 rounds down the barrel to "season" it before the true accuracy of that ammo will show.
    Just my $0.02

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All right...Here you go!!!

I put a Burris Signature 8x32x44mm on my rifle...guess we'll see if this works!!! LOL!!!

Going to sight it in tomorrow and get some practice. Any more suggestion ya'll might want to share??

PVcuGLw.jpg
    Brother, that'll do it. Zero in at 50yd. If this scope is a 2nd focal plane, I'll zero in at least 25x and don't change the magnification during the match.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Well...Ya'll come on in and tell me how this is going so far!!! Good...Bad...and Ugly. :)

This is the results of my testing today.

This is the ammo I used for testing. Also the first time I've ever shot this rifle.
    CCI standard velocity target
    SK flat point target
    Federal gold medal target
    Federal gold medal match...This was a higher velocity ammo and had a noticeable change in point of impact.

I fired 10 shot groups at each target from 50yds. and here they are.

hdeZl1V.jpg
    X7mz7uU.jpg

q3dNT6N.jpg
    AVJJNym.jpg

Capt. Dave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Well...Ya'll come on in and tell me how this is going so far!!! Good...Bad...and Ugly. :)

This is the ammo I used for testing. Also the first time I've ever shot this rifle.
    SK flat point target
    Federal gold medal match...This was a higher velocity ammo and had a noticeable change in point of impact.

hdeZl1V.jpg
    X7mz7uU.jpg

q3dNT6N.jpg
    AVJJNym.jpg
    You are on point, just need a little time behind the rifle. It’s doing it’s job!

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    You are on point, just need a little time behind the rifle. It’s doing it’s job!
    I was very pleased with today's shooting!!! :D

Is it common to have 3 different brands of ammo hit this close to the same point of aim.

I tried some other ammo as well, CCI mini mags, Winchester x-pert and a couple different Aguila. None of these shot even close to the same size groups shown.
    It was very obvious the high velocity wasn't where it's at. LOL!!!

I will say...the more I shot...the better I was doing for sure. All most as if I were watching the bullet to the target!! :cool:

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

SK flat point target

hdeZl1V.jpg
    X7mz7uU.jpg

q3dNT6N.jpg
    AVJJNym.jpg
    CCI, SK, and Golsmatch seem to be your best three. Like bowchamp asid, you need more time on trigger. FYI, Once you pick an ammo, you can change group size by changing the torque setting on stock/action screws. I think CZ factory setting is 25 in-lb. If you drop it 25 - 20 or add 25 - 30 in-lb than you'll see the group size either increase or decrease. You'll have to experiment with it. I have two CZ and one likes SK Pistol Match Sepcial, the other likes CCI STD Vel. My Riger 10/22 likes Federal White Box. Good stuff, keep at it. Just sad that I won't be able to shoot with you guys at Element on the 19th.

LeeB

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

SK flat point target

hdeZl1V.jpg
    X7mz7uU.jpg

q3dNT6N.jpg
    AVJJNym.jpg
    That SK is good stuff. Precision!

LeeB

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Another item shooters might want to purchase is a cheap digital kitchen timer at the Dollar Store. When the match begins, the RSO will call commence firing and you have 20 minutes to shoot 25 bulls. Having your own little timer on your bench helps keep you focused.

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is absolutely Crazy!!! :rolleyes:

Man shouldn't have to spend so much on 22 LR ammo!!! LOL!!!! :eek:

You guys aught to be ashamed...dragging me into this!! ;) :cool:
    Given this upside down world, where truth is lies, and lies is truth; We keep the joy and spread the ammo costs misery. LOL

Bamajoey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You folks participating in this please post pics of your targets after the match. I wanted to enter but had prior commitment.

BowChamp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Well....I don't have "AFTER" pics yet!!! I do have before pics. LOL!!!

I'm really looking forward to this.....See Ya'll tomorrow!!!

All groups were from 50yds...the dots are .375"....diamonds are .375" inside, .5" outside.

Q3Pd2pT.jpg

5 shot group
    knPWawa.jpg

6 shot group...last six rounds in the box.
    2OaekCP.jpg

5 shot groups
    UjEWggz.jpg

5 shot groups
    esOGeEt.jpg

5 shot group
    jYUxKRv.jpg

5 shot groups
    TlodQCW.jpg

6 shot groups...I fired one shot at the paper then fired 5 shots at the first shot for each of these groups.
    qGUaN5X.jpg

This was my first and only attempt at torquing the action screws to 35 in/lbs and last 6 shots of the day.
    Dang!!! Ran out of time!!! LOL!!!
    uImgCYK.jpg

Mr.T

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SIr, you have a winner. I'd say your rifle loves SK Pistol match. Obviously, the shooter has a lot to do with it. :)

Top Bottom