• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This weekend i had major problems with my new DPMS LR-308 Jamming FtL FtF Had to pry the bolt back to release a live rnd.
    Called DPMS today... got Jason on the phone.. He's telling me the gun is not broken in yet....????? What BS is that... Most all the guns i've pulled directly out of the box functioned first shot and there after no problems at all. The gun works best with only American made ammo only... I explained to him i had to use a screw driver to release the bolt from the chamber only after using the inertia method. He stated the the action had to be sloppy wet with lubricant for the gun to function... I've never heard of this anywhere...
    He also explained how the gun had a tag on the trigger the rifle being fired and tested before shipping... never got that tag...
    Don't mean to be a complainer... but that was the worst load of crap ever...

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a DPMS LR-308 that functions flawlessly and does nothing like you describe. Sounds odd. I always think that when people say that a gun is not broken in yet, they are simply stating that the burs from the factory (factory defect) are not worn out of the gun yet. Or a part is out of spec, from the factory, and must be shot out of the gun due to wear.

Like you, I have never had to "break in" a gun for it to function properly.

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Again not meant to be the b-tch. There was shaved brass in the whole of the bolt chamber and all over... Telum.. there are no burs or sharp edges.
    All factory painted to spec. i assume... The bottom of the bolt has brass ware and magazine ware too... I'll find it... then i'm going to call back Jason
    and give him a piece of what's left of my mind... I've built a lot of AR's from scratch and nothing like this. When you have to use a screw driver to pry the bolt
    back then there's no little problem. That's after i dropped the mag. and it was still lodged tighter than your first date...

I dropped the locking bolt lug in the chamber as there was nothing to prevent it's progress. used an empty shell.

The next thing to check is the alignment of the gas tube and the key on top of the bolt carrier...

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Does the owners manual say anything about a break-in period and How to?

Are you using the prescribed ammo? Did you try more then on mag for the FTF issue?

Sloppy wet application of lube? Hell if it needs that much you might as well put in cutting oil with diamond powder!!!

If your using the right ammo and there is no break-in listed in the manual "Jason" is just giving you customer service answer #1. He wants you to put more rounds through it to see if the action will smooth out and reliability to increase. This may very well happen if you can fire enough without too much frustration.

last time at range did you get any rounds off? How many? Any damage to the fired brass?

Did you clean it yourself prior to firing? If not I recommend you do it and try again. FIRST Cycle ammo through it from with the bolt only and see if you jam. Mark your rounds at 12 O'clock as you put them in the mag so you can index any wear or shaving. Eject onto a couple of sheets of printing paper so you can find any shavings. START with a almost DRY weapon. Lightly lube only per manual locations.

A. Cycle slowly. Results?

B. Cycle faster. Let bolt go from full back but extract only slightly faster then above. Results?

C. Cycle throught the mag as fast as you can. Results?

Fix any problems noted above then go to the range. Mark ammo as above and load. Test fire.

A. Any damage to brass? Minor or excessive?

B. FTF Prob?

C. FTE Prob?

Last edited:

Robbie2883

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    my dpms upper had issues when it was new...after some wear in it fires everything i throw at it (except steel casings, it doesn't like steel)

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In anticipation of steel mags doing this again at the last show i bought 2 30 rnd plastic mags... The problem still exists... when it didn't fire i released the mag.
    Trying to eject the chambered round. Using the charging handle was like pulling teeth... had to use the inertia method to remove the round..
    This monkey is going back to the factory... Now i want another gun... going to mark the receiver upper and lower to make sure i don't get the same one back...

I'm noticing some heavy ware marks on the back of the rotating bolt lug... If i screw with it as in take off some burrs they might
    refuse to fix the gun... ???? i'll just leave it alone...

Last edited:

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wildrider666... I haven't had a chance to get to the range... but your method is sound... if and when... Thanks....

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    W666... Thats the best test yet... however... you wouldn't believe the gouging on the bullet and the case. Deeper than most engravings. One other thing i noticed..
    A full magazine will stop almost a quarter inch short of seating leaving a lot of pressure on the lower portion of the bolt moving or not.
    Gotta say you guys have been helpful in trying to find the problem... The only better situation is if i had a second working gun to compare the both and really
    find the problem..

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The earlier post regarding using a different magazine was supposed to be a P.M. but wound up here instead. damn Android phone....Gouging on the bullet and case neck in a manually chambered round is not a good sign. I wonder if the problem may be with the ammo dimensions and not the rifle. Generally speaking , a round that hangs on feed is either seated too long ( bullet being rammed into the riflings by the bolt ), the neck of the cartridge is not the correct length or the cartridge is not correct for the chamber. . Is this Rifle chambered in 7.62x51 NATO or .308? Bear in Mind that i am NOT an AR platform expert here, Just have been looking at and reading up on .308/7.62x51 chambered AR's with the intent to purchase one in the near future.

doc92

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buddy bought the same gun NIB. Manual states the warranty is voided if you use steel ammo.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keeping in mind that cycling live ammo is never a safe thing to do......and that we all do it.....
    Can you chamber a round without the mag in.....by placing it in the bolt by hand. Takes the mag out of the equation completely.
    If the mag isnt in there just perfectly, then the rounds COULD BE getting damaged on the way in....and causing problems there after. Dont know what the hell would cause the mag to be out of position though.
    If the round is damaged by the manual insertion method, then I would guess that something is wrong with the chamber. Does the bolt lock/unlock straight and smooth without a round?

Top Bottom