• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NaclH2oDave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It is time for a new scope on my Win 70 and I have it in hand with new rings, I was taking the old scope off and got down to the last bolt holding the scope ring adapter plate. It is REALLY in there! So far I have ruined 4 Torx 15 bits and drivers and pretty muched screwed the pooch on the bolt head. I believe that I can still fit a flat head in it to get the bolt to turn if I can just get it to break loose. The bolt itself does run through and into the chamber. You can see the end of it in there. I assume that it has been kind of chemically bonded into place with the heat and gunpowder residue. At this point I guess I am hoping for suggestions on what I could use to dissolve any residue from the bottom up and get it to break loose. Suggestions welcomed!

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A heat gun and a little PB blaster penetrating oil works sometimes. Or believe it or not nail polish remover. Some of the older generation swear by a drop of nail polish on the receiver mount screws. Failing that its drill and extractor time. If you use heat do not get over about 250° and not for more than 15 minutes or so. Good luck.

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I've had a few do this I take a lighter heat up the bolt and tap it with a brass punch and hammer and then use an Allen wrench if it's a torx you can find an Allen that is snug and then tap it in the head gives you a better bite wiggle back and forth till it breaks free becareful not to force it will snap off

Emcm2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    MOA I'm gonna have to add that to my list of things to try that's why I love this site always adding to our knolage thanks

dead-bird

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    If possible, apply heat directly to the screw.

I find it best to use a high wattage, pencil type, soldering iron.

Let the iron come up to temperature and press the tip of the iron on the screws head.

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    problem with screw

I have these come in all the time, after you have did all the heating , call me and I will tell you the other to ways to get it out, I will guarantee one will work. just my 2 cents jj

NaclH2oDave

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have these come in all the time, after you have did all the heating , call me and I will tell you the other to ways to get it out, I will guarantee one will work. just my 2 cents jj

Thanks for that, I will keep you in mind for future issues. I wound up taking it to Myles over at Trade Winds. He already has it taken care of! Thank everybody.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All of these ideas are pretty darn good. I would most agree with a little direct heat after letting PB Blaster sit on the bolt threads for 1/2 hr or so. IF the head is too destroyed to use the torx or allen wrench, a considering may be to carefully use a dremel with cutting blade and make a new notch for a wide spade flat head screw driver. One with a long handle, a name brand, with a thick head to it would give you optimal leverage in the bolt removal. Other than that, they are simple extractors that only require a small hole drilled just enough to get the extractor bit to "bite" and then ease it out. I would use drilling it out as last option. Possibly could damage the parts around it. Definitely, whatever you do, get some heat resistant tape and tape off around the bolt head to avoid damage to the surrounding parts. Good luck! keep us posted!

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Is it common for scope mount screw holes to go all the way through into the chamber?

BYW Twitch, I've tried all sorts of screw extractors and from my experience if the screw's in so tight it strips the head no extractor is going to budge it. Not once have I gotten a stripped out door hinge screw out with one. Left handed drill bits occasionally would work I think because they got the screw hot. If you find one that works please LMK, I deal with them a lot.

Rick

Last edited:
    Top Bottom