• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey Guys,
    After that last storm we had a pretty good scare, and it got me thinking about the possibility of getting/building some type of shelter on my property ( 1.5 Acres ).
    I don't have wads of misc cash just lying around, and that is the crux of the problem so to speak.. the lowest priced options I've looked at are 6,000$ roughy.
    Any of you have ideas, or suggestions to keep my family safer during rough weather?
    Oh yeah.. We live in a trailer.
    thanks

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    The end all be all answer to every emergency, anywhere, natural or man-made:

Screenshot_20240110-182829.png

kendive

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hey Guys,
    After that last storm we had a pretty good scare, and it got me thinking about the possibility of getting/building some type of shelter on my property ( 1.5 Acres ).
    I don't have wads of misc cash just lying around, and that is the crux of the problem so to speak.. the lowest priced options I've looked at are 6,000$ roughy.
    Any of you have ideas, or suggestions to keep my family safer during rough weather?
    Oh yeah.. We live in a trailer.
    thanks
    Might be better off getting a camper and getting out of town. Or just get out of harms way and leave town. If this little storm scared you wait until the next hurricane.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Need more cover from above? Then cover it under a hardened steel road plate

Screenshot_20240110-183535.png

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    i have seen a cement septic modified tank used for this, either half bury it, or all the way, with a metal hatch cover, better for a tornado , than 11 hrs of a hurricane, whatever you can stand.or a 20' shipping container with the base buried..

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    i have seen a cement septic modified tank used for this, either half bury it, or all the way, with a metal hatch cover, better for a tornado , than 11 hrs of a hurricane, whatever you can stand.or a 20' shipping container with the base buried..
    Search "precast concrete"

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We are switching from septic tank to city sewer. I will definitely be using at least one wall of my tank. I plan to excavate and use stack stone to retain the sand. Blocks like these. I will need to add a French drain or 4” socked and perforated corrugated pipe in the walls to move water down hill.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpeg
      IMG_0010.jpeg
      4.1 MB · Views: 18

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    When I was a kid, my grandparents in Oklahoma had about a 12’x12’ below-ground concrete hurricane shelter with a full size bed and shelves with canned and jars of food.
    Back then most people who lived in Oklahoma had cellars.
    Last time I visited out there around 2003, my uncle had a ranch that he used for hunting.
    He had a small underground steel box with a bench seat that sat 4. It was obviously designed for short-term use. Almost like a duck blind.
    My grandparent’s cellar would be where you would spend the night when the weather was bad. My uncle’s was more for a place to run to when you hear it coming.
    Maybe you could find a big steel duck blind or build something a little bigger out of concrete.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    That’s really not a bad idea. I like the set-up on the lower right because it’s no so confining and it has ventilation.
    You might need to figure out a drainage system in case of very heavy rain.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    And while you're piling dirt on top of that bus above ground... get your dirt for free, from your own moat. I mean irrigation ditches ;)

Screenshot_20240111-120354.png

Top Bottom