DK Firearms

Disabled vet likely being scammed in Tampa area, urgently need help/resources-LE no use

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Unfortunately I don’t live in that county, was just passing thru on the way home from work, time is limited to do something like that. Hopefully the hotline report turns into something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You tried to help. That alone is admirable. Hats off to you.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    I hate to be pessimistic but I think it's more likely that the old man is knowingly getting gift cards for some other reason and he himself was lying to the cashier. But hey I wasn't there and I didn't see him to see how convincing he was, so there's that... still I have a hard time believing a grown man is dumb enough to do $90,000 by gift cards for a car, so I think there must be some other reason. You would do best just to stay out of it before you get wrapped up messing with money from the mafia or a cartel

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    A lot of old people don’t understand all the scams going on today. They grew up in a world where you didn’t lock your doors.
    Heck, it wasn’t that long ago that I knew a young guy that was all excited about buying a 4 Wheeler from Australia for 1/4th of what it was worth with free shipping.
    Some people just haven’t caught on.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I hate to be pessimistic but I think it's more likely that the old man is knowingly getting gift cards for some other reason and he himself was lying to the cashier. But hey I wasn't there and I didn't see him to see how convincing he was, so there's that... still I have a hard time believing a grown man is dumb enough to do $90,000 by gift cards for a car, so I think there must be some other reason. You would do best just to stay out of it before you get wrapped up messing with money from the mafia or a cartel

Anything is possible, and I’m not looking to get involved or contact him personally, but I do think LE should have a chat with the guy.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A lot of old people don’t understand all the scams going on today. They grew up in a world where you didn’t lock your doors.
    Heck, it wasn’t that long ago that I knew a young guy that was all excited about buying a 4 Wheeler from Australia for 1/4th of what it was worth with free shipping.
    Some people just haven’t caught on.

That’s legit, it’s called Temu

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is from my previous post:

I had a friend whose father literally gave away his life's savings (almost $150K) because he believed there was some American serviceman stuck in Afghanistan that couldn't get home any other way besides through a whole lot of Visa gift cards. I think it is a version of a mental illness, or, like Mark Twain said (paraphrasing) "It's easier to fool people a second time than to convince them they were fooled the first time."

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    If it were me, I would physically go to the HCSO building and ask to speak to someone in person. It’s easy to blow off a phone call, much less so someone in the lobby. The State Attorney’s Office might have a fraud task force as well, and you might get some success with them.

Also recognize sometimes people make up reasons to have tags run in hopes the officer/agent will be sloppy and reveal info they aren’t supposed to, so they may look at you with some suspicion initially. Altruistic third parties are pretty rare these days.
    As are helpful LE

M60Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    This is from my previous post:

I had a friend whose father literally gave away his life's savings (almost $150K) because he believed there was some American serviceman stuck in Afghanistan that couldn't get home any other way besides through a whole lot of Visa gift cards. I think it is a version of a mental illness, or, like Mark Twain said (paraphrasing) "It's easier to fool people a second time than to convince them they were fooled the first time."
    My parents almost got scammed that way, caller/s told them I was in trouble. Luckily my dad called me first

General Snafu

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Guys, I need some help. Happened upon a situation today that I feel compelled to intervene in but getting nowhere with local law enforcement. If anyone has a friend, brother, etc that might be able to assist…

Today is my wife’s birthday so I stopped at a dollar tree to get her some balloons on the way home from work. As they were being inflated I halfway overheard a conversation between an elderly man and the cashier about him buying a 1960 corvette and having it shipped from Canada.

The guy was exiting the store as I walked up to the register and the cashier was shaking her head saying “must be nice.” I said yeah that’s a cool car. I then noticed the display at the register still had his order on it, showing a $500 Apple gift card. The cashier said that guy had been in there every day for weeks, each time buying $500 to $1000 in gift cards and has told her that’s how he was sending the money to the Canadians who had the car as they were in a different country so wouldn’t take USD. She says he told her the car was $90,000.

Well anyone who knows much about scams knows Apple and other gift cards are their bread and butter. That coupled with the “out of the country” thing immediately had me concerned. I told the cashiers that guy was being scammed and they needed to call the cops but could tell they weren’t interested in anything involving the police.

I ran out of the store and saw a guy that I THINK was him pulling away from a handicap spot with a US Navy Retired sticker and Disabled Veteran license plate. It’s possible it wasn’t him and was another older guy, but the timing was right and it’s a small corner of the parking lot that didn’t have much going on at the time. I did get the tag number and description of the vehicle but he was long gone before I could try to talk to him.

I called the Hillsborough county sheriffs office non-emergency number and was told they couldn’t do anything about it unless the guy himself filed a report- they weren’t even interested in the tag number. I called the HCSO district 2 HQ and was told the same. I called the Criminal Investigation Division, under which the economic crimes unit falls and was told to call the Florida elder abuse hotline. Bottom line- HCSO isn’t in the least interested in helping this guy, never even got to the point of giving anyone the tag number. Pretty well ticked me off to be honest.

I did call the elder abuse hotline and the operator did a report- hopefully it goes somewhere. But in the mean time I feel like more immediate intervention is required.

I’m considering everything from contacting dollar tree corporate to knocking on the door at the local DAV post to see if anyone recognizes the vehicle and can identify the guy. As the cashier said this was a daily occurrence, it’s likely he’ll be back and lose more money each day…. I have a family and a job and can’t just post up there waiting on him…. Still in shock at the apathy of local LE. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I can’t let this one go…

Have you considered writing a letter to the editor of your local daily rag? Another option would be to give your number to the cashier and ask her to ask the man to call you. If the guy comes to buy every day, Mr. concerned citizen knows what time the guy shows up and could cover the door around that time tomorrow. The possibilities are endless.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Have you considered writing a letter to the editor of your local daily rag? Another option would be to give your number to the cashier and ask her to ask the man to call you. If the guy comes to buy every day, Mr. concerned citizen knows what time the guy shows up and could cover the door around that time tomorrow. The possibilities are endless.

Unfortunately it was a location I was just passing through on the way from work over an hour from my home so not much I can do locally. I passed all the info I know to a local veterans organization who says they’d take it from there so I’m out of the game now. Hope it works out. Still kinda ticked off LE wouldn’t look into it. Shameful.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My phone rings from 30-50 calls a day from mostly indian scammers. This is not only me, but really world wide for english speaking countries. Occasionally the FBI does something, but it is very little. Some of the telephone electronics for the robo calls I believe does happen in the USA and I think most of my calls are coming from the same center.
    The feds if they cared could electronically and legally stop those those calls. There are federal laws about interstate fraud.
    Likely this theft is totaling into the billions of dollars. But as noted the local authorities, the federal authorities, the banks, etc just do not care to stop it.
    A lot of the scammers on the phones are actually religious. I have told them, can I trust you. They of course say yes. Then I say swear by god. Mostly here it goes click. Or they claim they are christians. I say tell me about John 3:16. Duh or if you swear by god, will you swear by Allah. Click goes the phone. I only had one that said she believed in Yahweh the creator of us all.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had a Spamer guy call yesterday wanting to give me a free, no obligation assessment on my back taxes, I just needed to answer a few questions to see if I "qualify" and I could get $$$ forgiven.
    So I asked him (a foreigner) if he has taken advantage of it, he stumbled on the question a bit, so I repeated it. Then he says, Oh yes, I have and he was happy. Then he asks me if I owed back taxes and where was I working.
    I said, well, I just got out of prison just 2 weeks ago and haven't got a job yet.
    He asks again if I owed any taxes. I said I didn't think so because I had been in prison for the past 20 years and I just got released.
    So, do you think I owe taxes, I asked. He said okay and hung up. lmao

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a Spamer guy call yesterday wanting to give me a free, no obligation assessment on my back taxes, I just needed to answer a few questions to see if I "qualify" and I could get $$$ forgiven.
    So I asked him (a foreigner) if he has taken advantage of it, he stumbled on the question a bit, so I repeated it. Then he says, Oh yes, I have and he was happy. Then he asks me if I owed back taxes and where was I working.
    I said, well, I just got out of prison just 2 weeks ago and haven't got a job yet.
    He asks again if I owed any taxes. I said I didn't think so because I had been in prison for the past 20 years and I just got released.
    So, do you think I owe taxes, I asked. He said okay and hung up. lmao
    They really want to keep your talking. They often after information and almost anything could be useful.
    Somewhere along the line he was hoping to get a social security number is my guess.
    I had one that said for me to give him the last four digits of my credit card number and then he rattled off all of the other digits. How he had those I wonder. But he had a very old address that was no longer good. If they ask for the last for digits of anything I tell them 44-40 or 32-20.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Unfortunately I went down that rabbit hole investigating one of those gift card scams one time there was no way to track it down. Soon as the money went into one account that transferred to another account to another account to another account. They already have these things preset to screw people over.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom