APOD Firearms

Disabled vet likely being scammed in Tampa area, urgently need help/resources-LE no use

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Gulf Coast States

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Guys, I need some help. Happened upon a situation today that I feel compelled to intervene in but getting nowhere with local law enforcement. If anyone has a friend, brother, etc that might be able to assist…

Today is my wife’s birthday so I stopped at a dollar tree to get her some balloons on the way home from work. As they were being inflated I halfway overheard a conversation between an elderly man and the cashier about him buying a 1960 corvette and having it shipped from Canada.

The guy was exiting the store as I walked up to the register and the cashier was shaking her head saying “must be nice.” I said yeah that’s a cool car. I then noticed the display at the register still had his order on it, showing a $500 Apple gift card. The cashier said that guy had been in there every day for weeks, each time buying $500 to $1000 in gift cards and has told her that’s how he was sending the money to the Canadians who had the car as they were in a different country so wouldn’t take USD. She says he told her the car was $90,000.

Well anyone who knows much about scams knows Apple and other gift cards are their bread and butter. That coupled with the “out of the country” thing immediately had me concerned. I told the cashiers that guy was being scammed and they needed to call the cops but could tell they weren’t interested in anything involving the police.

I ran out of the store and saw a guy that I THINK was him pulling away from a handicap spot with a US Navy Retired sticker and Disabled Veteran license plate. It’s possible it wasn’t him and was another older guy, but the timing was right and it’s a small corner of the parking lot that didn’t have much going on at the time. I did get the tag number and description of the vehicle but he was long gone before I could try to talk to him.

I called the Hillsborough county sheriffs office non-emergency number and was told they couldn’t do anything about it unless the guy himself filed a report- they weren’t even interested in the tag number. I called the HCSO district 2 HQ and was told the same. I called the Criminal Investigation Division, under which the economic crimes unit falls and was told to call the Florida elder abuse hotline. Bottom line- HCSO isn’t in the least interested in helping this guy, never even got to the point of giving anyone the tag number. Pretty well ticked me off to be honest.

I did call the elder abuse hotline and the operator did a report- hopefully it goes somewhere. But in the mean time I feel like more immediate intervention is required.

I’m considering everything from contacting dollar tree corporate to knocking on the door at the local DAV post to see if anyone recognizes the vehicle and can identify the guy. As the cashier said this was a daily occurrence, it’s likely he’ll be back and lose more money each day…. I have a family and a job and can’t just post up there waiting on him…. Still in shock at the apathy of local LE. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I can’t let this one go…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5lima30ret

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    You did the right thing! That 1-800 ABUSE registry call triggers a report to law enforcement which then has to do an initial investigation by the law enforcement agency. The agency then has to either unfound it or pursue it...in writing!

edit: When making reports to the Abuse registry there are certain key words and phrases that the call takers/screeners look for when making a law enforcement referral that will most likely trigger an investigation.

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    The elder abuse hotline is useless. , had to deal with them about situation a while back had al kinds paper work on it , even got some to talk to the head of HCSO in Tallahassee the only thing they did was investigated me ,. I didn't stop been at it for about 2 yrs finally got a Atty. that would help and is now got it going to court. This just a short part of it. The local LE no help. Don't regret trying to help. Just 100 cents jj

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If the store is inside a city limit you might try the city police, or even the city police where you live. Although they hate to do it, it is entirely possible to write an “Agency Assist” report and get the facts documented even if the event didn’t occur in a particular agency’s jurisdiction.

Based on the fact that he admitted the money is being sent out of the country you might try to see if the FBI has an online reporting tool to document suspicious activity.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Track the guy down, via tag number. Research and locate family members. Let them know he's wasting their inheritance
    on a possible scam. Hopefully they can intervein and get him to report it before he loses everything including his home.

On another note, maybe the old guy is just trying to impress the cashier and likes her, so he buys gift cards and spends them at the grocery store?
    I watched an idiot go through $660 bucks (paycheck) on scratch-off tickets at a local store, just to impress a cashier. He said he won around $1,100, but ultimately spent that too on the scratch-offs. But he was a younger guy, but people can be idiots.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Track the guy down, via tag number. Research and locate family members. Let them know he's wasting their inheritance
    on a possible scam. Hopefully they can intervein and get him to report it before he loses everything including his home.

On another note, maybe the old guy is just trying to impress the cashier and likes her, so he buys gift cards and spends them at the grocery store?
    I watched an idiot go through $660 bucks (paycheck) on scratch-off tickets at a local store, just to impress a cashier. He said he won around $1,100, but ultimately spent that too on the scratch-offs. But he was a younger guy, but people can be idiots.

As far as I know there’s no way a civilian can run a tag and find out who the owner is. Was hoping LE would do just that and knock on his door if for nothing else than a welfare check to make sure the guy isn’t getting scammed.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As far as I know there’s no way a civilian can run a tag and find out who the owner is. Was hoping LE would do just that and knock on his door if for nothing else than a welfare check to make sure the guy isn’t getting scammed.

Good for you for helping, and I wouldn't be so sure about DMV not providing the data. FL is one of the worst states in the country for selling/trading personal information. Might only cost you $10-20.

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If it were me, I would physically go to the HCSO building and ask to speak to someone in person. It’s easy to blow off a phone call, much less so someone in the lobby. The State Attorney’s Office might have a fraud task force as well, and you might get some success with them.

Also recognize sometimes people make up reasons to have tags run in hopes the officer/agent will be sloppy and reveal info they aren’t supposed to, so they may look at you with some suspicion initially. Altruistic third parties are pretty rare these days.

woodsy85

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If it were me, I would physically go to the HCSO building and ask to speak to someone in person. It’s easy to blow off a phone call, much less so someone in the lobby. The State Attorney’s Office might have a fraud task force as well, and you might get some success with them.

Also recognize sometimes people make up reasons to have tags run in hopes the officer/agent will be sloppy and reveal info they aren’t supposed to, so they may look at you with some suspicion initially. Altruistic third parties are pretty rare these days.

Unfortunately I don’t live in that county, was just passing thru on the way home from work, time is limited to do something like that. Hopefully the hotline report turns into something

ABlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hopefully so. Having dealt with some folks who have been scammed (or are still in the middle of it), there is a surprising number of them that refuse to believe they are sending money to bad guys. They go behind their family's backs, cut off contact with LE, withdraw all their money in cash even if it means taking a financial penalty to do so. It's like a version of a mental illness.

I had a friend whose father literally gave away his life's savings (almost $150K) because he believed there was some American serviceman stuck in Afghanistan that couldn't get home any other way besides through a whole lot of Visa gift cards.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    At this point the money is gone. The best that can be done is stop any more loss.

I see this type scam DAILY in my job.

In most cases, these elderly people are gullible and even argue with LE when contacted. Being gullible and stupid isn't elderly abuse, that requires a "caretaker relationship".

The crimes being committed here are Scheme to Defraud and Grand Theft from a Person Over 65, and possibly computer related crimes as well.

I've worked a ton of these and almost all were just plain gullible.

Best bet it to get store management to be on the lookout and refuse to sell him any more cards and call LE while he's in the store.

Beached

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I got scammed for a bow years ago 450.00 called local sheriff took reports. Nothing I had receipts and persons name. Called the sheriff where I sent the money same filled out reports never heard back. Paid with postal money orders filed a report with post office they would not do nothing for thirty days after that got the name of bank where they were cashed that was it. Never got help of any kind. Once your money is gone it’s gone.

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    If you don't know a LEO personally, or someone at your local tag office, good luck on one not knowing you to do it. Too much liability and possible loss of their job.
    I should have stipulated going thru a Private Investigator. I believe there are several online services you pay for that can do it. But I never tried them. Try at your own risks.

Welldoya

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    I had an elderly great aunt who gave away $300,000 to TV preachers. It was all she had.
    I had a friend who got scammed on EBay for $600.
    He did some research and got the guy’s name and address. Small town in northeast.
    He called the police in that town. They said they would file charges if he would come up and testify. He told them he would.
    The cop went and visited the scumbag and he sent the money back.
    I think I would contact my congressman and tell him the story. It would be good press for him.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I got scammed for a bow years ago 450.00 called local sheriff took reports. Nothing I had receipts and persons name. Called the sheriff where I sent the money same filled out reports never heard back. Paid with postal money orders filed a report with post office they would not do nothing for thirty days after that got the name of bank where they were cashed that was it. Never got help of any kind. Once your money is gone it’s gone.
    that is why i like face to face... except for ammo from sga ammo

Top Bottom