• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dilemma

• Total voters

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Soooo .... how dense does your pattern have to be before you can miss ??
    What will you use to "aim" ??
    If the turkey flys up just as you get resdy to shoot,will you shoot the airborne bird ??
    I'm using my 41 like I did my 44 IF I can find reloading components. ---- SAWMAN

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Modern Shot's are made to be tailored to modern firearms. There are thousands of modern shotguns built on the bottom tier that can be chopped to whatever specs you deem viable. How many Traditionally made scatterguns are still left in thier original form? Do You Want To Be The Guy That Ruined A Scattergun That Future Collectors talk about with distain???

How about that 1903 Springfield that you took the hacksaw to???????

Leave History to the Historians, screw up anything of less than artisan/quality manufacture made today to meet your purpose. JMHO.

zdiver99

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Modern Shot's are made to be tailored to modern firearms. There are thousands of modern shotguns built on the bottom tier that can be chopped to whatever specs you deem viable. How many Traditionally made scatterguns are still left in thier original form? Do You Want To Be The Guy That Ruined A Scattergun That Future Collectors talk about with distain???

How about that 1903 Springfield that you took the hacksaw to???????

Leave History to the Historians, screw up anything of less than artisan/quality manufacture made today to meet your purpose. JMHO.
    About the 03A3 I can relate. I am going to show my age with this one. When I was early in my military time, you could get 03A3 Springfield's at K-Mart out of a garbage can foe $69 all day long. Long story short, I had it cut, bolt bent and drilled for scope. As all of us in that day assumed, we can get these anytime. I wished I had NOT cut the Springfield. BTW, I still have it.

indy1919a4

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Also noticed all 3 parts have a number stamped on them. 42,xxx. Which I thought was odd considering the age of it.
    Yeah serial numbers will get you no where on that. The Stevens Co had its production records subpoenaed by the Government after WW I. Before they could deliver those records a fire broke out and the records room was destroyed. :rolleyes:

What is the address of the Riverside company ?? That can help date it a little.

M118LR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah serial numbers will get you no where on that. The Stevens Co had its production records subpoenaed by the Government after WW I. Before they could deliver those records a fire broke out and the records room was destroyed. :rolleyes:

Only if it's in original condition, otherwise it's only another useless piece of what was once historical value. JMHO.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Chicopee falls. Here's some info I found.

Just like Sears, Western Field and many other labels, Riverside Arms Co. was an economy label for original manufacturers. In this firearm’s case, for Stevens. The guns produced under the Riverside Arms Co. name were as functionally sound and capable as their more expensive, name-brand counterparts, but with less desirable wood, metal and finishes. For example, the stocks for most Riverside Arms Co firearms were either a cheap birch or beech nut wood with a simulated walnut finish. The wood-to-metal fit likely was not pristine either, but these were a utility firearm; meant to be used and likely abused.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Chop it to 20” and squeeze some extended turkey chokes in it.
    Or sell it to someone who likes it more than you and buy something else a lot newer with 3” chambers.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I should have bought a 12 gauge double Stoeger earlier this year for $300, still ticked off with myself that I didn’t bring it home

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Its just a gun. Not a family heirloom or museum piece, no emotional investment. These things were chopped fairly regular back in the day... do it Reb, chop it and make your project yours!

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    I'll go out on a limb here.
    James,do you even have a clue what you want ??
    What do you want the finished product to do for you ??
    What will it's application (job) be ??
    Why do you want US to tell YOU what YOU want (poll,etc,etc) ??
    Step up,do what you feel is right for you and your purpose.
    DAMN !!! ---- SAWMAN

Fanner50

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I'll go out on a limb here.
    James,do you even have a clue what you want ??
    What do you want the finished product to do for you ??
    What will it's application (job) be ??
    Why do you want US to tell YOU what YOU want (poll,etc,etc) ??
    Step up,do what you feel is right for you and your purpose.
    DAMN !!! ---- SAWMAN
    Well said SAWMAN. James...see my post three above this one. Do your own thing....walk your own path. It's only an old double barrel shotgun, meant to be used, not a family heirloom to be passed down. Make it your own.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Yep that is just the kinda talk that Montgomery Wards , Santa Fe, Bubba, The NRA and Bannerman used to chop up so many military surplus rifles in their day. After all there were so many milsurp guns they would never really become collectable, would they??

Yep that is just the kinda talk that Montgomery Wards , Santa Fe, Bubba, The NRA and Bannerman used to chop up so many military surplus rifles in their day. After all there were so many milsurp guns they would never really become collectable, would they??

That was my brother-in-law‘s attitude when he sportarized a large ring 8 mm Mauser K 98 made in 1915 or 16 in Berlin. If he had left it alone it would be worth over $1500 but after he had the chamber drilled so he could use 30/06 brass with 8 mm bullets making it an 8mm/06 in a Monte Carlo stock it’s not worth near what it would be in original condition
    Not sure if K 98 is right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom