• BamaFaninMilton

Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

PensacolaEd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Actually, unless your property straddles the line between Alabama or Georgia and Florida, you cannot import carcasses unless de-boned.

Effective July 2021, people are prohibited from importing or possessing whole carcasses or high-risk parts of all members of the deer family that originate from anywhere outside of Florida.

Under these rules, people may import into Florida:

• Deboned meat.
    • Finished taxidermy mounts.
    • Clean hides and antlers.
    • Skulls, skull caps and teeth if all soft tissue has been removed.
    The only exception to this rule is deer harvested from a property in Georgia or Alabama may be imported into Florida if the property is bisected by the Florida state line and is under the same ownership.

Another ridiculous law meant to burden hunters. CWD has NEVER been detected in either Alabama or Georgia, and these has NEVER been a case of CWD being spread through deer remains.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's really not that big of an inconvenience. CWD is devastating and I am glad FWC is being proactive to help stop the spread.

Who here is actually shooting a deer in Alabama or Georgia and waiting until they get in to Florida to clean it? No one.

It's not hard to cape one out for a shoulder mount. The only inconvenience I see is if you want to have a euro mount done. In which case you would have to use someone in the state you shot it in.

I hunt the midwest every year and interstate travel with deer is a huge no no... not uncommon to see game wardens on overpasses looking for deer in the backs of trucks.

I guess it doesn't bother me, because I know what they will do when they eventually do find CWD in Florida... you think you're being inconvenienced now, just wait until they shut down hunting and hire contractors to kill every deer within 20 miles. THAT is what will happen.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just find a good processor. I used to quarter deer and home butcher them - but I will now gladly pay a good processor.

PensacolaEd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It's really not that big of an inconvenience. CWD is devastating and I am glad FWC is being proactive to help stop the spread.

Who here is actually shooting a deer in Alabama or Georgia and waiting until they get in to Florida to clean it? No one.

It's not hard to cape one out for a shoulder mount. The only inconvenience I see is if you want to have a euro mount done. In which case you would have to use someone in the state you shot it in.

I hunt the midwest every year and interstate travel with deer is a huge no no... not uncommon to see game wardens on overpasses looking for deer in the backs of trucks.

I guess it doesn't bother me, because I know what they will do when they eventually do find CWD in Florida... you think you're being inconvenienced now, just wait until they shut down hunting and hire contractors to kill every deer within 20 miles. THAT is what will happen.

So the fact that neither State has ever had a CWD Case, or that there is NO evidence that the disease has ever been transmitted via deer carcasses doesn't mean anything to you?

And just because YOU clean your deer in Alabama or Georgia means everybody has to? I'm 35 minutes away from where I hunt in Alabama. Our lease doesn't have a place to clean deer, and even if it did, I would prefer to clean mine at home. I double bag the remains, and put it in my trash can, and it goes to the landfill.

You tell me how this represents a risk to Florida's deer.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never hauled a whole or field dressed deer home. But I have quartered deer and left it on the leg bones and hauled it home in a cooler.

But, it does not take long to bone out a quarter.

Fodderwing

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    And then you have the whackos that want to ban you hauling the meat from a antelope, deer, elk, etc. across state lines to discourage folks from hunting.

Leveraging fear of COVID-19, the Center for Biological Diversity and Natural Resources Defense Council have petitioned the Secretary of the Interior and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to ban all import into the United States and interstate transport within the United States of all wild mammals and almost all birds – including all parts, such as hides and horns, even if properly processed – while also creating a comprehensive chain-of-custody system for all plants and animals imported or exported from the U.S.

Rebuilt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    So the fact that neither State has ever had a CWD Case, or that there is NO evidence that the disease has ever been transmitted via deer carcasses doesn't mean anything to you?

And just because YOU clean your deer in Alabama or Georgia means everybody has to? I'm 35 minutes away from where I hunt in Alabama. Our lease doesn't have a place to clean deer, and even if it did, I would prefer to clean mine at home. I double bag the remains, and put it in my trash can, and it goes to the landfill.

Your case probably not, but for every responsible hunter there are 3-4 idiots. Guys that will dump carcass and guts on vacant lots, side of the road or creeks. See that crap every year.

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Your case probably not, but for every responsible hunter there are 3-4 idiots. Guys that will dump carcass and guts on vacant lots, side of the road or creeks. See that crap every year.
    Yep. We have a spot at the camp for it. Then if ya get bored deer hunting you can sit and watch it and see what shows up.

BamaFaninMilton

Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I think that might be what's driving some of this. I am originally from north Alabama (Decatur/Hartselle area) and I know guys who have, or still do, hunt in southwest and south-central Tennessee, where CWD has been found. I think that Alabama game officials are worried that some yahoo is going to kill a deer in Tennessee and then dumps the carcass on the side of some back road in north Alabama after they bring it back and clean it at their house.

Going back to John B.'s post about game wardens on overpasses looking for deer in the back of trucks, a buddy of mine from back home got a ticket bringing a deer back from Tennessee in the back of his truck. An Alabama game warden was standing on the first overpass coming south out of Tennessee on I-65 and saw the deer in my buddies truck, another game warden was sitting in his truck on the shoulder of the road and pulled my buddy over and wrote him a ticket. I think that this was the first year that Alabama started banning deer from Tennessee from being brought back across the state line, and my buddy didn't know that he couldn't bring it back.

John B.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Mississippi had never had CWD either until last year.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mississippi had never had CWD either until last year.

Guaranteed it's already here, people just don't know it yet. It takes time to drive a deer nuts too. Anybody know how long?

justapilgrim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Actually, unless your property straddles the line between Alabama or Georgia and Florida, you cannot import carcasses unless de-boned.

Effective July 2021, people are prohibited from importing or possessing whole carcasses or high-risk parts of all members of the deer family that originate from anywhere outside of Florida.

Under these rules, people may import into Florida:

• Deboned meat.
    • Finished taxidermy mounts.
    • Clean hides and antlers.
    • Skulls, skull caps and teeth if all soft tissue has been removed.
    The only exception to this rule is deer harvested from a property in Georgia or Alabama may be imported into Florida if the property is bisected by the Florida state line and is under the same ownership.

Another ridiculous law meant to burden hunters. CWD has NEVER been detected in either Alabama or Georgia, and these has NEVER been a case of CWD being spread through deer remains.
    But what if the deer was vaxed and was wearing a mask...would that be a game changer?

Top Bottom