• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anybody been to/through it? What is your thoughts on the place, besides being hot?

I was looking at google earth and noticed a lot of white patches in and around there. I assume they are salt and not ice?

Rick

Ryan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol they are salt. I've been hiking/camping out there a lot. There is a huge crater out there. It gets pretty high winds out there though.

shootnstarz

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    lol they are salt. I've been hiking/camping out there a lot. There is a huge crater out there. It gets pretty high winds out there though.

Was is a stifling heat like around here only worse or tolerable dry heat if you had shade? Did you hike across it? Did I see small creeks there, obviously salty? What sticks out in your mind the most? The place is below sea level isn't it?

We're talking the geological feature, not Clay's ex, though she sounds like a wonderful girl, except the white patches, and that that part is visible from space.

Rick

Last edited:

MAXman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    4 people in 15 years? Doesn't sound as bad as the temp bridge, west bound 90 across escambia fields.

Seriously though; that "dry heat" is more dangerous, I think. With our humidity, you pour swet and get soaked. Younknow your swetting and you need to drink water. When it's that hot and dry, it just sizzles off and you don't realize how much fluids your loosing. Plus, I'll bet it's hotter there. And I'm not talking index, I'll bet it hits triple digits actual temperature daily, June-September.

Famine

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just looked at temp there and it was 104 with a heat index of 99....12% humidity and 10mph wind. so it feels cooler than it is. Yeah you sweat without feeling wet but the salt from the sweat sticks to your skin and feels like a fine grit sand paper.

Ric-san

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    they don't call it death valley for nothing...

here is a recent headline from the desert

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-new-mexico-trail-boy-saved-article-1.2317725

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/08/11/body-5-year-old-who-vanished-from-grand-canyon-area-campsite-found/

This death was closer to Death Valley that the example you mentioned I think....now in all honesty, the kid who perished was part of Uncle Warren Jeffs (FLDS Church...Mormon multiple wife thingy) flock from Colorado City AZ. My best friend is a Sheriff's Deputy in Mohave Co. AZ and on the Search and Rescue team. He told us tons of stories from Colorado City and the folks there....

Top Bottom