• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well, I got home from work and headed off to the Hutton unit to try and scout out and find me some piggies. I spend roughly 3 hrs looking in different spots. I could smell them in some areas but never could find any good sign or see any.

I decide to head to one last area. As I am walking down the trail, about the time I see him, he sees me. A nice coiled up Moccasin. I take a step back and he uncoils and slips away. I decide to make a big loop around where I saw the snake go into the brush to get to where I wanted to get. As I get close to a big thick brush area, I here a familiar sound of grunting and I see the head high brush moving.

But it's so thick and I can't see a thing in there but it looks like a T-Rex sized animal is in there moving the small trees around. They try to escape out one side and I run around and cut them off. They head back to the center of the brush. Granted, I have not seen the size of these pigs yet. But I'm trying to flush them out while on the ground and alone!!!!

I guess they finally felt cornered. Because out of no where, like a scene out of a movie I see the brush being mowed down coming right at me. A hog about the size of hogzilla pokes it's head out and is coming right after me and I am now about 15 feet in front of this charging beast.

I couldn't get my rifle on it fast enough or draw my pistol in time either. So I just RAN!!!! I run till I don't hear anything and then I still hear them in the brush. I get my manhood back and I tell myself that these piggies are going down.

I get them flushed out of the brush only for them to escape into some more thick stuff.

I finally see them and they stop to give me a shot Two of the who knows how many! I get a shot off at about 60 yards. Squealing commences and then all of a sudden I have this 150-200 lb boar coming right at me. I try to get another shot off and it keeps running right past me at 10 feet. It disappears into the head high mess. I hear him stop eventually. I let him rest a little to expire.

I eventually start to move in to try and find him. But I hear more tussling and moving. It's now almost dark and I'm by myself. I choose to back out while I'm ahead. I've already seen my life flash before me twice with these pigs and going into head high brush after a possible injured, cornered big hog alone was not something I was willing to do.

I didn't have a lot of blood to go off of. But there was a good bit where it was hit. Pretty upset that I couldn't recover it. But I figured it was the best thing to do while out there alone and with a possible injured pissed off hog ready to come at me again.

Pig blood!

10628649_10100340113067982_5815841170966759369_o.jpg

Attachments

• 10628649_10100340113067982_5815841170966759369_o.jpg
      10628649_10100340113067982_5815841170966759369_o.jpg
      185.3 KB · Views: 191

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May I please ask --> what rifle were you using -- what scope/sight were you using -- what power did you have it set on --what chambering and what ammo were you using -- ?? If he did not get a chance to stand in the spot in the pic very long,looks to be you clipped a major blood vessel/artery.

Looks like you might have hit him high. Looks to be no lung blood. Sorry for that lost pork. --- SAWMAN

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May I please ask --> what rifle were you using -- what scope/sight were you using -- what power did you have it set on --what chambering and what ammo were you using -- ?? If he did not get a chance to stand in the spot in the pic very long,looks to be you clipped a major blood vessel/artery.

Looks like you might have hit him high. Looks to be no lung blood. Sorry for that lost pork. --- SAWMAN

Rem 700 in 30-06 with 180gr round. I do think I hit him high under the spine yet above the vitals. My scope was only on 3 power since I was close in the brush and I didn't have time to zoom in to make the shot. Bushnell Elite 3-9x50 scope. This was a free hand shot on the ground. It's a dead pig. Just not one I could find unfortunately. At least without the chance of him still kicking and charging me again.

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Ha! Try hunting a bull armadillo at night if you want danger...unpredictable...they can jump several times their height...sharp claws...can move quiet as a mouse or noisy as a bulldozer...can absorb several shots before being stopped.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ha! Try hunting a bull armadillo at night if you want danger...unpredictable...they can jump several times their height...sharp claws...can move quiet as a mouse or noisy as a bulldozer...can absorb several shots before being stopped.

Funny you mention that. I was a young kid when I was charged at by a stinking Dillo. Those things are can be mean!

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I didn't know that about armadillos.

I know gendoc came up on the mother of all Mocassins about 15 minutes before I got to where he was last weekend. He was a little shaken. And when gendoc sees something in the woods that makes an impression I KNOW I better watch my ass.:Cry:

I can't believe I still have never seen a wild hog. I screw around in the woods around work and up at a place in Alabama but nothing. Deer, dillos, all the snake clan, coyotes, foxes, a panther, possums, the whole gang but no walking bacon, ever.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yep, sean you should have seen me this morning going to the pond.... I bet I looked like commando-dan with the battle scatter-gun.
    scanning everywhere before my feet would touch the ground and looking for bushwackers !!!

didn't see any today.. maybe its because I left before the sun got warm and they were still in bed.........:spy:

hopefully, tomorrow will be the same.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    John, last weekend was my last trip without Mr. Shotgun. I have full confidence in my JakeC .357 shotshells but I'm thinking I need more volume.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had my 38 onboard with snake shot, and by the time I could draw, i'd been bit.....but he had other plans and I was lucky.
    2 hands on a "battle gun" is what its all about, even if its a Benjamin pump pellet rifle as I would have perfered
    at that time. handguns are cool if you have them in your hand.
    them cottonmouths are fast and nasty !!!

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The following is not a slam of the weapon that anyone chooses for any purpose to hunt any animal. These are simply my opinions after considerable experiences in the effin thick stuff hunting hogs in Escambia River WMA,Eglin AFB(Titi Creek,and other area's)south central Fla,and at several private clubs.

Everyone that hunts hogs should have a "close range,thick brush" weapon at their disposal. A carbine. A short,light rifle of either the semi-auto,or lever action variety. My Marlin 1894C with it's 16.25" bbl will hold 9rds of 44mag. My Ruger 44mag carbine considerably less but I can keep it shouldered with both hands in firing position between shots. Soooooo.... a trade off between the two guns. Both guns will shoot the Hornady 240gr or the 300gr XTP's equally well. Into a 2" group at 25yds. AND .......BTW ....... I feel that this is plenty good for my purposes.

I also have a Beretta CX4 Storm chambered in 45ACP. It will hold a total of 9 shots and my choice is the factory loaded Hornady 230gr XTP +P's. This bullet is a great brush buster and cuts a nice wide hole going in. It has taken several of the larger hogs. .

Then there are the pistols. I would much rather be armed with my Glock 20,6"(15+1)than any 44mag or even a 454Casull revo. A 5" 45ACP would be a good choice if shooting up to the 45Super pressures.

If you hunt hogs or deer in NW Fla,sooner or later you will either intentionally or unintentionally go into the super thick stuff. Make sure you choice of weapons is one that afford you multiple quick shots at 10 feet.

Good Huntin' to all. --- SAWMAN

helo_hunter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Couple of Labor Days ago, took a couple of flight students out for a pig.

One made a great 150 yard shot on a 110 pounder. Dropped the piggie in his tracks. Then the pig grunted a couple of times and ran into the bush.

Not much blood - trailed about 50 yards then it went into the thick stuff and we could hear him standing in there and complaining (heavy breathing, grunts, and other noises).

I had the flight students stay where they could see 10 yards or so and I went into the thick brush. Vis was about 5 or 6 ft when I walked up on the pig - he had finally gone quiet and was laying there with his eyes open. Thought he was dead. Got within about 3 or 4 feet and he came at me. Ever fire a 30-06 one handed? Pig went down then kept grunting so shot again, this time off the shoulder.

Ever since then, I always have a 45 or 10 mm sidearm with me in the brush or when pig hunting!

Top Bottom