• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    As many of you know, since I change carry and competition guns every other week, and end up needing a whole new setup in holsters and mag carriers, I decided to start making my own.
    After properly re-shaping my M&P9C holster to fit my PX4, my first try was a Pmag carrier. This took two tries since I failed miserably on the first one by not using enough material. The second one is great, and I hope to use it at the CORE charity 2-Gun event next weekend.
    59f50045708fc6c8bb822ba2fc6b6c32.jpg

A buddy of mine was brave enough to let me try to make a light gun holster for him. I had an issue with too much retention and difficulty reholstering, until I realized that while I had made a channel for the body of the light, I did not do so for the tensioning nut. A touch of heat fixed that right up.
    9abd17ae03bb9a88213931d00605bc32.jpg

I also decided to make my own loops since at $20 a set, the raven concealment alternative was NOT going to happen. I really like how they came out, they're tighter harder and sturdier than the overpriced alternative. Not to mention that making my own gives me a set NOW, and not in a few days.
    0a8794c44ca523af7a2aee518ef18388.jpg

Then I made a Glock 22 mag pouch. Fairly straightforward but it took me a long time to get just the right retention. I also gave it a few degrees of forward cant, which I really like.
    904dad3b1b0ce3fefc9b4e85cf1cf0ae.jpg

57c420c0a9b524ba304ef7275eb8b859.jpg

Then came a really challenging one since I had never handled or even seen such a thing, but my buddy needed one, so I gave it my best shot. It's a kydex handcuff pouch. Since unlike a handgun or a magazine, the shape of the handcuffs varies by the position of the swinging portion, I decided to have the retention come from only the bottom portion while allowing enough clearance to have the swinging part be in any position and still be able to go in. It seems simple, but a lot of thought and trial went into this one, and I really hope it works well, but I think it's a pretty solid design:
    9e0f2e69c2db7a14c0b85c7ac20681ac.jpg

Last edited:

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    keep at it, man! Got plenty of work to send your way!!!lol

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    If only I could rent some blue guns. Darned things are STEEP! Lol.
    I'll be ordering 17 and 19 tomorrow. Maybe shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    yeah...about $70 each by the time you add shipping. I was ordering one per week when I would make my kydex orders. Helped keep me from dropping $1800 up front. ouch.....

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Good stuff Dan1612! Everybody loves some kydex!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thanks guys! I'm kind of on a high from the satisfaction of making something useful with my hands and having something concrete to show for my time. Make no mistake, I've been working on this stuff since Friday evening. It's been difficult, time consuming, and challenging getting up to speed on the learning curve, but I loved every second.
    My wife... not so much. Hahaha!!

Last edited:

fondblanc1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks good man! Thanks for the info. I'm feeling inspired now. Just what I need, another gun related hobby. My ex wives would be so proud!

levi3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looks good, I've been making my own stuff for a while now. It is satisfying to make your own equipment. Just wait until you start making pouches for things just laying around because you have a little scrap leftover. Keep up the good work.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Haha, yeah!
    Well, it's also deceptively expensive. You're thinking, oh yeah, $4 for a square foot of kydex? Done! Haha!!! Not so quick... lol

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't make seperate fasteners. Use a longer (taller) cut on the belt side (IWB or OWB) heat fold it over to make a "J" loop only tall enough to fit the belt hight and thickness + 1/8 inch. Depeending on the "J" size it can be a snap over belt or run belt through it. Holster angle can also be set this way.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Rider, that's a great idea. I'll definitely be trying that for the smaller items.
    Meanwhile, I took John's advice and ordered one mold today. I decided to go for the G19 Multimold, even though it's the more expensive option. Since it's already prepped and the trigger area is blocked off, it should yield better, safer, quicker and more consistent product.
    a7234bd490bb44f1f51606450807bd8f.png

jogan

Bobblehead Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    you'll still need to block out for the slide release and the loaded chamber indicator/extractor. Go in the craft section of walmart and get a bulk bag of the cheap wooden project sticks. Get em in every shape and size. Cheap and you'll use more than you think. Also, some quality HVAC foil tape will help. And lots of alcohol.

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Congrats , good work, it is fun to be creative , Anyone who owns a couple Wilson's should be coming up with a suede lined kydex process ?

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Today I got to do a Colt 1911.
    It was a big challenge. I knew I wanted a forward cant, but what that did to the footprint of the thing was terrible, since I did NOT want to end up with a foot-wide holster that would dig into the leg when seated. All was fine until I went to bend the sides since it completely ruined the retention. I was able to get it right using the heat gun, but that took a long time to get it to where I was happy with it. Needless to say, this style will be by special request only. Lol
    959eeeb82e7f7896c753304e5d3cdbc1.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom