• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • makai55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hi All,

My Dad is interested in buying a shotgun for small game hunting (mostly birds and rabbits). He lives in Arizona. He's interested in a 20 gauge pump. He'd probably be happiest with something like a Remington 870, maybe the synthetic stock version for the lighter weight. I went online to check on prices and availability. Checked his local Cabelas and Bass Pro as well as online retailers like Bud's. Everything appears to be out of stock. My question(s) for the forum: Are we just plain out of luck here? How is the private sales market right now for a gun like this? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance for sharing your collective wisdom!

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I would check out Benelli Nova also. I had one in 12 and liked it but wanted different platform. Don’t know if they are all like mine but the stock and receiver were one piece. Not sure on their availability at the moment

Daezee

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    It took me weeks to find the CZ 20 ga double bbl in black finish that a dealer would ship to my local dealer. Basically it was we are selling so many guns to customers coming in the door that we don’t need the hassle of shipping. Sort of hinted was we are selling at retail price. I did have to pay retail, but free shipping.

Sportsman’s Warehouse is where I got my shotgun. Free shipping over $49.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I have seen a lot in stores and online.

It is a bit harder to find the 20 and 28, but I bet a ride around to the local shops will give you or him some results.

Jdcujo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I have seen a lot in stores and online.

It is a bit harder to find the 20 and 28, but I bet a ride around to the local shops will give you or him some results.
    Styx had a 28ga cz pump , my girl bought one of them.

Murfpcola

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    One feature I really liked about the Nova is the ability to eject the shell in the chamber without it loading the next shell into the chamber. If you need to make it “safe” you hold in a button on the forearm and rack the slide and it empties the chamber.

makai55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all of the replies! One more related question, if I may...

Dad mentioned that one of his favorite shotguns back in the day was an Ithaca model 37 featherweight. My question is, how often do y'all see these in circulation/for sale around the gulf coast area?

Thanks again!

BluesBrother

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    You might want to think about the more common 12ga. He can shoot light bird shot and recoil won't be that much more if at all than a 20 ga. It's payload weight and gun weight that translates into felt recoil. Light payload heavier gun, lighter recoil. You will double if not triple your chances of finding a gun in 12ga.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    The 37's are fairly hard to find nowadays. Mike's had one about a year ago that I really wanted but it was $700. It was the military version.
    They do make them in 20ga also but would be even harder to find.
    They eject out the bottom and that is a real plus for a pump gun. The stroke is a little shorter than most pumps also. ---- SAWMAN

G-rat

Sit Violentiam Regem
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    tough to beat an older 870 or a wingmaster... my son is named Remington so i may be a bit jaded.

joebuck

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My dad gave me a Ithaca model 37 featherweight in 20 ga with the engraved receiver for my first shotgun. I was probably about 10-12 years old. I wanted an 1100 because that is what all my friends shot. Well, as usual, Dad knew best. I still have that shotgun and would not sell it for any anything. Lost my Dad in June ... thank you for bringing back a great memory for me on this Friday morning! :)

makai55

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Glad to know that my question inspired pleasant memories of your Dad! Hopefully I can find something special for mine. Please let me know if y'all hear about anything that might fit the bill for my Pops! Thanks again for all of the responses and shared wisdom.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Was at bass pro in Destin yesterday. Lots of guns in stock - shotguns, rifles, pistols.

Virtually no ammo.

Flounder Hounder

Expert
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Since he is in Arizona, have him check Sportsman's Warehouse. It's a popular hunting and fishing store chain around AZ and NM.
    I was out there last week and they had lots of guns. not much ammo but they did have shotgun shells.

Boogan1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Have him check out the pawn shops if he is looking for an Ithaca 37. I was in a shop in Missouri yesterday that had 3 on the rack. I see them pretty often. In good condition they sell in the $350-450 range.

Top Bottom