• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lil'skeet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Hopefully Florida is next in line..

Texas Passes Bill to Remove NFA Suppressor Requirements for ‘Made in Texas’ Cans

by JORDAN MICHAELSon MAY 24, 2021

Related Tags: Buzz, News

The bill aims to exempt Texas suppressors from NFA regulations.

A bill passed by the Texas state legislature this weekend could remove federal licensing requirements for suppressors manufactured, purchased, and possessed within state borders, and provide a blueprint for other states to circumvent National Firearm Act restrictions.

In contrast to the state’s constitutional carry and Second Amendment sanctuary bills, this bill, HB 957, has received almost zero media attention. But it could be just as impactful, especially as red states around the country look for new ways to stick their collective finger in the eye of the gun-grabbing Biden administration.

The bill amends the state penal code to remove suppressors from items regulated within the state under the National Firearms Act. If passed and signed by Gov. Greg Abbott, the bill would (theoretically) allow Texas residents to purchase suppressors over the counter without paying a $200 tax stamp or going through the NFA approval process.

“A firearm suppressor that is manufactured in this state and remains in this state is not subject to federal law or federal regulation, including registration, under the authority of the United States Congress to regulate interstate commerce,” the bill states.

The bill requires all suppressors to be stamped with the words “Made in Texas,” and prohibits owners from taking the items to any other state.

SEE ALSO: ‘Tools of Murder’ – Bill Introduced to Outlaw, ‘Buyback’ Suppressors

For a suppressor to be considered “manufactured” in Texas, the can must be made in Texas from “basic materials” and without the inclusion of any part “imported from another state other than a generic and insignificant part.”

“Basic materials” can be sourced from outside the state because, according to the bill, basic materials, including unmachined steel, are not firearm suppressors and therefore not subject to federal regulation.

“Insignificant parts” are defined as those items that have manufacturing or consumer product applications other than inclusion in a firearm suppressor, including springs, screws, nuts, and pins.

The bill also includes a provision to allow prospective suppressor manufacturers to seek a judgment from a federal district judge on the constitutionality of the law. A manufacturer notifies the Texas attorney general, and the AG seeks the declaratory judgment from the feds. In other words, even if Gov. Abbott signs the bill, Texas residents SHOULD NOT start manufacturing their own suppressors right away.

SEE ALSO: GOP Senators Work to End Federal Regulation of Firearm Sound Suppressors

The bill is premised on the idea that the U.S. Constitution only allows the federal government to regulate commerce “among the several states,” i.e., between states. If a suppressor is manufactured, sold, and possessed entirely within the state of Texas, the thinking goes, Congress can’t make a law regulating that item.

We won’t pretend to be constitutional scholars, but suffice it to say that Texas’ new suppressor bill sets up yet another showdown to determine the extent of state and federal power.

Gov. Abbott has not said whether he plans to sign the bill, and his press office has not returned a GunsAmerica request for comment.

HB 957 passed along party lines in the Senate (18-13) but picked up 13 Democratic votes in the House (95-51) without any Republican defections. The bill has 29 sponsors and co-sponsors in the House and three sponsors and co-sponsors in the Senate.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Its nice that the Texas AG till will take a Companies inquiry to build a "TEXAS" Can to the Feds but that just begs for an BIG NO because feds won't give up power unless directed by the Courts. Still that would be Texas State Litigation against the Feds. If a Texas Co was going to "attempt" (go through AG to Feds process) individuals really wouldn't need to do home builds as cheap as it should be.

Texas: No income tax but Sales tax can be up to 8.25%.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    There is another state already doing this. I do not remember which one, but I read about it in one of the NRA magazines or something like that a few years ago. The ATF waited until they caught somebody being careless and using a credit card instead of cash to buy a suppressor over the counter without registration (and in that state they said you could very well do just that) and then the ATF got the paper trail from the credit card and charged him personally instead of charging the state legislators. Last I heard it was being appealed all the way to the Supreme Court and nothing had been decided yet.

IronBeard

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Political jesture, IMO, but it's nice to see a little opposition for once. As long as the Florida eceonomy, and the elected officials, are driven by tourism for income, we'll never see such a thing here. No word will be spoken/printed that might scare away the tourists.

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This initiative targets a method of avoiding the 1887 Commerce Clause and its mutation from "railroad cargo fees" to the all intrusive anchor Law its abused/used as. I've never heard that the Law dosen't apply to common piece parts, its my understanding that the Law covers raw materials too.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The commerce issue is all part of the picture of the proposed ruling on 80% receivers and just about everything that the ATF does.
    I am for what Texas did. It is a tiny cut against the ATF. If we the people can make a 1,000 cuts against the ATF, perhaps it could be deadly for that organization. The democratic party under Biden is reality trying to make gun ownership like it is in western Europe and England. We need to try every legal avenue to oppose them.
    I hope everyone here has sent in a comment on the recent serial numbering of receivers proposal to the ATF.
    Be good if they got at least a million or negative comments.

Big Shrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Once again sounds great. Makes headlines. It won’t supersede federal law. Not worth the ink it’s printed on.

Don’t misunderstand I think they should be non regulated. This isn’t the way to do it.

Actually, it IS the way to do it.
    The ATF will have to go to court and argue for their side...
    The State of Texas will argue for Everyone Else.
    Send THAT case up to the Supreme Court, and with its current
    membership, I'd look for Cans to be totally Legalized.

I mean, heck, it's not like any idiot could screw an oil filter onto any
    threaded firearm and it have the same effect as a Silencer, at about $8 each,
    would it?? Oh wait, IT DOES EXACTLY THAT!! Just bulky as all get out.

Pothead 2.jpg

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You have more faith in the court than I do apparently.

The Supremes are a court of permission not right.

In this case the conservatives won’t suddenly adopt a states rights philosophy and allow individual states to circumvent federal law. The issue won’t turn on 2A rights.

Full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Texas will get a big population boost and a big revenue boost. Its a no brainer. Silencers will be just the beginning once the precedent is set. I got my heart set on a nice 1919, some 50's in a quad mount, and maybe a flak gun. Oh why not, maybe a belt fed 105. Prices will drop fast once restrictions are lifted on new production stuff

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Texas will get a big population boost and a big revenue boost. Its a no brainer. Silencers will be just the beginning once the precedent is set. I got my heart set on a nice 1919, some 50's in a quad mount, and maybe a flak gun. Oh why not, maybe a belt fed 105. Prices will drop fast once restrictions are lifted on new production stuff
    A well made heavy machine gun of recent manufacture is not cheap. Realistically I do not want to own such things. I would like to have legal fun switches on an AR or glock. legal non-tax stamped silencers I would like

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    A well made heavy machine gun of recent manufacture is not cheap. Realistically I do not want to own such things. I would like to have legal fun switches on an AR or glock. legal non-tax stamped silencers I would like
    Yep. The new semi auto belt fed FN was still $11,000 last I checked. I'd settle for a patch of ground in Alabama and a binary trigger for less than that. Are binary triggers legal in Texas still?

Last edited:

Southalabama

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Use Credit ?

You would never get it pass the loan officer - even in Texas or Florida

Top Bottom