• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Hey, fellow GCGF members.

As some of you already know, at least those have conducted FTF sales with me, know that I'm a Sergeant with the Florida Department of Corrections. I've been with the Department for 7 years, after medically retiring from the US NAVY back in 2016. For those of you who are curious about life inside the wire, or just want some lite reading material this morning, I offer you a quick view of the life.

Ahem;

Correctional officers must maintain order and daily operations of the facility and are responsible for the care, custody, and control of inmates. A correction officer has a responsibility to control inmates who may be dangerous, and that society themselves do not wish to accommodate. An officer must always prevent disturbances, assaults, and escapes by supervising activities and work assignments of inmates. Officers have a responsibility to protect themselves, other officers, inmates, and the public from assault by other inmates. Correctional officers must also protect inmates from harming themselves or committing suicide. An officer must be alert and aware of any and all movement taking place inside the facility.

Prevention is one of the key components of an officer's duties. Officers can utilize prevention by routinely searching inmates and their living quarters for potential threats such as weapons, drugs, or other contraband. Officers should remain assertive and, in most situations, refuse to back down. An officer shall hold offenders who violate facility policy accountable for their actions when rules are violated.

This is usually done through on the spot corrections, a formal disciplinary process, or through the legal process in extreme circumstances. Correction officers must take full concern for the health and safety of the facility. Officers check for unsanitary conditions, fire hazards, and/or any evidence of tampering or damage to locks, bars, grilles, doors, and gates. Fire and severe weather drills may be common. Officers may screen all incoming and outgoing mail for select high risk offenders.

All prison staff, regardless of position, volunteers, visitors, new court commit, and offenders returning from off ground, are searched prior to entry. This aides in the reduction of contraband being introduced into the facility. These routine searches often employ hand held or walk through metal detectors, and baggage x-ray machines. Under certain instances, a canine, pat/frisk, full strip, and vehicle (if parked on facility grounds) search may be conducted. Correction officers are responsible for transporting inmates to other facilities, medical appointments, court appearances, and other approved locations. In the US, these trips are most often local, but may be across the entire country. For trips that are super long in duration, Correction officers may assist police officers on/off duty depending on their peace officer status and jurisdiction.

Now, as a Sergeant, I'm also concerned with the issues of any and all staff beneath me. Counseling, training and all that entails. I'll list training requirements next post.

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    (continued from previous post)

Florida Department of Corrections Staff are certified via FDLE standards.

Use of force and restraints (i.e., handcuffs, leg-irons, belly-chains, etc.)
    Weapons (firearms, taser, pepper spray, baton, etc.)
    Self-defense
    First aid and CPR
    Report writing
    Giving testimony in court
    Defusing hostility
    Interpersonal communication
    Correction law
    Criminal law
    Criminal procedure law
    Case work and criminal investigations
    Hostage negotiation
    Gang intelligence
    Cross Gender Supervision
    Many jurisdictions have also, in recent years, expanded basic training to include:

Suicide prevention/crisis intervention
    Mental health awareness
    Critical incident stress management
    Occupational Safety and Health Act (U.S.) or Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (Canada)
    Gang awareness and intervention
    Crisis or hostage negotiation
    Drug abuse training
    Rehabilitation programs
    Rapid response training
    Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA)
    Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
    Staff wellness.

Besides all of this, we also have Special Teams inside the wire, which I'll go into a bit next post.

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The Correctional Emergency Response Team or CERT, (glory boys as I call them) take on a role similar to a police SWAT or Special Weapons and Tactics team but are tailored to the prison setting. CERT operators must pass a very physically and mentally demanding tactical academy.

They are the best of the best inside of a correctional institution. Our last resort if you will. Armed with Smith and Wesson M&P 15 carbines, kitted out with EoTechs and Surefire tac lights., there is no place you'll hide from them. Sidearms are Gen 2 M&P 9mm with Surefires as well. I guess the Department got a sweet deal with Smith and Wesson. I don't know. Our designated marksmen carry purpose built, custom to each shooter .308s for that reach out and touch someone appeal.

Then you have the RRT, or Rapid Response Team. These men and women respond to any major crisis, anywhere in the multiple regions that make up our beautiful state. Armed with a vast cornucopia of less than lethal weaponry, they can augment any embattled institution and put down any and all mass disturbances.

Then you have the DART, or Designated Armed Response Teams, which yours truly is a proud member of. We're the poor schmucks that are first to go, last to leave during a major institutional event. We're armed with Remington 870s, flash bangs, and I carry a Sage Defense 37mm MGL loaded with all sorts of goodies to keep me and my men in the fight while the glory boys take an hour to get kitted out.

Special units must qualify regularly and at shorter intervals than regular line staff to remain in the specialized position. They must also score in the 90th percentile or better of the standard scoring systems. And that's Corrections in a nutshell, ladies and gentlemen.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I worked for the DOC for 4 years and it was really eye opening just how varying the job is and how much folks don't think that COs do. Just working there I learned how to be a quasi counselor, plumber, car mechanic, locksmith, electrician and gunsmith. Plus always being short on staff and equipment I learned a lot about logistics and planning.

In terms of Smith and Wesson being the choice of firearms, its always been Smith and Wesson. When I started we still had S&W model 10s and 15s along with 5906s. In 2013 we moved onto the M&P 9s. Which I'm surprised how reliable they are given that it's a small pool of guns shot repeatedly over weekly in service qualifications and academy classes. The Remington 870s will be there forever. I also remember super old grey Colt AR15s for tower duty, some of which were old non fenced slick sided lowers/uppers.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    In 2013 we moved onto the M&P 9s. Which I'm surprised how reliable they are given that it's a small pool of guns shot repeatedly over weekly in service qualifications and academy classes. The Remington 870s will be there forever. I also remember super old grey Colt AR15s for tower duty, some of which were old non fenced slick sided lowers/uppers.
    As also tower certified, I can confirm that we are still utilizing Colt AR-15s. But dressed up with KAC quad rails and red dot optics. I was also genuinely surprised on how robust our M&P 9s are. They refuse to die.

Bowhntr6pt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    As also tower certified, I can confirm that we are still utilizing Colt AR-15s. But dressed up with KAC quad rails and red dot optics. I was also genuinely surprised on how robust our M&P 9s are. They refuse to die.

RDS's on a tower...?

You need to show them the LPVO light.

Marksmanship in LE is already questionable at best and a RDS on a rifle in a tower is the wrong tool for the job IMO.

God Bless you... DOC is an odd animal.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    RDS's on a tower...?

You need to show them the LPVO light.

Marksmanship in LE is already questionable at best and a RDS on a rifle in a tower is the wrong tool for the job IMO.

God Bless you... DOC is an odd animal.
    Carry handle mounted red dot optic at the time I was there so no LPVOs. Its honestly an underfunded agency. Think about it, 38 revolvers using 158gr LRN with two speedloaders was the common handgun setup until 2013.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom