• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys and gals

I am working on a "on the cheap" temporary gun rack, ammo, shooting accessory closet until i can score a used gun safe. Using existing bedroom/office closet, I built a generic leaning gun rack, mounted some small plastic crates above to shelve ammo, and mounted a cigar box above that for clips for my guns, and to keep them out of reach of kid's curious hands! Looking at an old soda machine that doesn't work to gut and have as a conversation piece but a gun safe inside, eventually. Seen several very well done and it actually fits in with other furniture and doesn't look obvious. What I've done Looks a bit rednecked, but curious what others have come up with.........any input is appreciated.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I keep all mine in the frige next to the beer in hopes that if robbed they will take the guns and leave my beer alone?

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You can armor the inside of the door and put a deadbolt with an armored sleeve making it even more secure...also a local alarm for shock or opening the door would tend to scare especially the amateur burglars away.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    maybe some thin steel plate or diamond plate and commercial duty handle and deadbolt reinforcement thing. Def gonna reinforce door and deadbolt for sure.

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    The wife is letting me turn our walk in closet into my reloading room/gun safe. Going to put a steel frame heavy duty door in and a deadbolt. It's an idea if you can talk the wife out of her closet space. Just don't come after me when she gets mad for you asking.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    kidsoncoffee: LOL. Wish we HAD a walk in closet, period! Older house with just average dinky closets. Think wife will be glad to have my guns and ammo elsewhere than behind the tv or hidden behind her dresses......May eventually do the steel frame door. that's great idea. I did commercial maintenance for 20+ yrs so that wouldn't be too big a deal. I'll be sure and not mention to her WHO gave me the idea~!

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lowes had an O.K. quality liberty gunsafe on sale for just over $500. More secure, and fire resistant.
    If no safe....I'd beef up the door/lock as much as I could.
    Solid panel door would be a must....and make sure the frame is properly shimmed and secured.
    Warren Hollow Metal doors is where I get my steel frames/doors. They would be able to get you most anything you might want.....except bullet proof.

Seanpcola

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Building Materials Outlet at the corner of Brent and Davis, had some heavy duty 3.4 doors, pre -hung in steel frames and pre-drilled for lock and deadbolt for $50 + 12% surcharge each last time I was in there. I bought two, one for my shop and the other is going to be part of my inside safe room.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lowes had an O.K. quality liberty gunsafe on sale for just over $500. More secure, and fire resistant.
    If no safe....I'd beef up the door/lock as much as I could.
    Solid panel door would be a must....and make sure the frame is properly shimmed and secured.
    Warren Hollow Metal doors is where I get my steel frames/doors. They would be able to get you most anything you might want.....except bullet proof.

that was my thought too. WHen I was maintenance director at East Hill Christian School we got all our doors from Warren Hollow Metal or Sloan's. Great folks. Gotta save up to do it right.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Seanpcola: never heard of that place but that is great price on that door setup. Solid wood slab or metal door? Assume wood for that price.

gunnerxxx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walk in closet isn't safe with the best door! An axe through the drywall? Enough said! Save your money that you would spend on the door and put it towards a gun safe. Just my 2 cents.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Walk in closet isn't safe with the best door! An axe through the drywall? Enough said! Save your money that you would spend on the door and put it towards a gun safe. Just my 2 cents.
    Your right about that. Most people wouldn't think about how easy it is to go through drywall.....but a thief probably will. Don't even need the axe...just a boot.
    The safe IS the best bet.

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yea Im thinking a bull dog would b a better spent $50 than a door on regular house walls

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The wife is letting me turn our walk in closet into my reloading room/gun safe. Going to put a steel frame heavy duty door in and a deadbolt. It's an idea if you can talk the wife out of her closet space. Just don't come after me when she gets mad for you asking.

Man, what does it take to get the wife to come off of her walkin closet?

kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If they have that much time then they can get into any safe I would be able to afford in the same time frame. This is just a deterrent. If they want it bad enough they'll get it.

1911Junky

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was that or have my reloading setup in tue guest room. Guess its not aesthetically pleasing in the room so I get the closet.

Got you. I convinced my wife to let me turn the back of my house into my shop, by just telling her she would never have to clean that part of the house again.

TwitchDaddy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Very true. What I'm planning to do, is get safe that will fit IN that closet. Space in the office/music rm is limited so closet makes best use of the space. i totally agree that drywall is NO real security! LOL. but for the time being, hopefully less than mth or 2, it's gonna have to do. Thanks for the words

Top Bottom