• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    They could’ve already had the area cleared and brought it down and the story over by now. Ridiculous, who cares.

ccc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    I think its launched somewhat locally. Typically weather balloons that are made to travel way up high have a saggy teardrop shape so they can expand and swell up as they enter thinner air above. This one appears to be filled to the max and stretched tight. So you can assume it's made to travel at that height only. Balloons Typically kick off weights or use flames to control thier height also. Height is the only real way to steer these also. They go up or down to get into an airflow in the direction they want to travel to. While true it may have a solar panel or fan to steer with as they are saying, that's just to fart around a little at most. It won't be able to fight a 20mph headwind per say. So with all that said I don't think it really traveled from very far away. Just an opinion based on what I see.
    Next, why use a balloon at all when they have satellites? Well there's only 2 things I can think of for that. That's to physically drop something off, or to sniff around. Something that requires it to actually be there physically for. What is it sniffing for? Hard to say. Weather data.. detecting potential chemicals or virus stuff being spread maybe, possibly detecting nuclear silos positions, dropping off infected fleas lol. No telling.
    That leads to why they won't shoot it down maybe. Maybe they think there's bio stuff inside? That's really the only answer I can think of tbh. Very weird stuff folks
    They just said on world news it is being controlled and CAN NAVIGATE and loiter in an area and is not simply being moved by the wind alone

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    They just said on world news it is being controlled and CAN NAVIGATE and loiter in an area and is not simply being moved by the wind alone
    Yeah I heard the same reports. Not sure what to think and honestly I don't think many know either. I've seen some closer more detailed photos since also. It does appear to have a valve on its bottom so maybe it can vent air out when needed and get lower. Not sure how it can go higher tho unless it drops weights. Maybe that's what they mean by controlled? I just know if it had fan props they would die pretty quick and have quite the time battling winds when the Ballon itself is basically a big sail in the wind. Again I'm just applying logic and not saying anything definite. The photo I saw looks like it has a long row of glass bowls looking things. Maybe it's weights. I dunno. It appears to have square antennas or solar cells also. Not enough really to power much tho. Maybe enough to power transmitters and a few servos.

Reactions: ccc

Raven

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Yeah I heard the same reports. Not sure what to think and honestly I don't think many know either. I've seen some closer more detailed photos since also. It does appear to have a valve on its bottom so maybe it can vent air out when needed and get lower. Not sure how it can go higher tho unless it drops weights. Maybe that's what they mean by controlled? I just know if it had fan props they would die pretty quick and have quite the time battling winds when the Ballon itself is basically a big sail in the wind. Again I'm just applying logic and not saying anything definite. The photo I saw looks like it has a long row of glass bowls looking things. Maybe it's weights. I dunno. It appears to have square antennas or solar cells also. Not enough really to power much tho. Maybe enough to power transmitters and a few servos.
    You got to put it all in context. This thing overall is the size of three buses! So whatever solar array you're seeing in a picture could be the size of your trailer

Reactions: ccc

DAS HUGH!

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    You got to put it all in context. This thing overall is the size of three buses! So whatever solar array you're seeing in a picture could be the size of your trailer
    Yes. When ratioed for size, the panels, balloon etc will be bigger, but the motors input needs would grow an equal amount, if not more. It can be of any scale really in that respect. The bigger it gets the more power it would need. Now it very well could have a few little fans as I said to fart around with and maybe hold it still for a few moments. But I doubt it has full power of travel per say

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a oxygen tank, a helium tank, several large weather balloons, a lawn chair, paracord and a shotgun. I plan to intercept it if it comes this way. It may come down slow but it is coming down. I also have applied for salvage rights and plan on getting top dollar. Wish me luck!

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a oxygen tank, a helium tank, several large weather balloons, a lawn chair, paracord and a shotgun. I plan to intercept it if it comes this way. It may come down slow but it is coming down. I also have applied for salvage rights and plan on getting top dollar. Wish me luck!
    moron1

Really?

And good luck!

Oh and there is now a second balloon over latin America.

44Ruger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    If we only had something that would take out a big ol balloon.

How funny, this was recorded in Billings last month. 1960's design technology. First F 18 flight was in 1978. Yes I know this a F 18 E newer model.

Last edited:

rossi

Master
    Rating - 94.7%
    17   1   1
    Bon Voyage !

Latest posts

Top Bottom