• ...and so much more!
  • Longtooth

Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good
    Staff member
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Fantastic activity for the family but my experience was that chickens are not eggonomically feasible.

When did you do your analysis?

I think it makes more and more sense as I see the world going crazy.

I don't think we will get rich from it, but it gives a measure of freedom from the supply chain issues (not to mention the health benefits).

Plinker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I don't think we will get rich from it, but it gives a measure of freedom from the supply chain issues (not to mention the health benefits).

Its my fault.
    Preditors of every description finally put me out of business.

A $800 coup and another $800 fenced in run with bird netting was required to protect them.

Besides the cost of buying and raising chickens out of chicks,,,,,$1600 would have bought a lot of eggs.

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Elevated on pallets and I built some fully enclosed chunnels (chicken tunnels) that I can move around the yard .. it’s fixed to the coop so that gives full access and protection. At night the chunnels get blocked off at the coop for further protection. Lots of predators around here

Attachments

• 3396777B-2A80-4ED4-A74F-46D126533554.jpeg
      3396777B-2A80-4ED4-A74F-46D126533554.jpeg
      1.1 MB · Views: 73
    • E76D3379-7166-4E78-9255-87D4D2142628.jpeg
      E76D3379-7166-4E78-9255-87D4D2142628.jpeg
      839.5 KB · Views: 79

maxfold

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Liked a Trampoline with cover and wire around it a house built with a door , manure droppings mixed with rabbit and grass leaves makes a good compost for a raised bed garden grown close by 55 gallon plastic drums split and mounted at wist level, food grade !

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    been raising layers for about 8 years now. i started in with meat chicks 2 years ago. i raise 15 or 20 cornish cross every spring and fall. havent bought a chicken from the store in years. i built a butchering station and plucker. i have thought about having a class for a few interested folks next time i have a butchering day. its not hard and the meat is so much better.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    been raising layers for about 8 years now. i started in with meat chicks 2 years ago. i raise 15 or 20 cornish cross every spring and fall. havent bought a chicken from the store in years. i built a butchering station and plucker. i have thought about having a class for a few interested folks next time i have a butchering day. its not hard and the meat is so much better.

I'm in for that. I'd much rather raise some to be killed and put up. I like eggs, but not enough to produce my own. Plus I get free eggs all the time from those who do.

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is mainly a side hobby/project, if I "need" to have chickens for a source of food, we've entered another realm which requires a lot of other things. Lol

24/7 Manned guard tower for the chix, for instance.

Can I still say "manned"?

WRM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Give it till October and they will be a bargain.
    Eggs will be $25.00/dozen, and bread will be $20.00/loaf, stale.
    LGBTQXYZ

Ouch--hope you're wrong. He really will need to man that guard tower 24/7 if you're right.

Actually, bedroom 3 is the "chicken room" at that point.

McMillan

USMC
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    I think the biggest burden of chickens is cleanliness. Building a roost where poop goes into water, moving down through a vegetable garden is the most efficient, setup takes more but end result is prolific

pete repete

NOT AN EXPERT
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I think the biggest burden of chickens is cleanliness. Building a roost where poop goes into water, moving down through a vegetable garden is the most efficient, setup takes more but end result is prolific
    i am transitioning to chicken tractors. i move them every day or two. i move them up and down my property. in their swathe is an obviously lusher and darker green line of grass. its pretty incredible to see.

Duckyou

I don’t give a Weiner shit!
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

When you pluck them is the skin left on?

We used to have a mechanical plucker and it would rip them to pieces if you did not pay attention. It was pretty fun - the feathers came flying off!

Latest posts

Top Bottom