• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayonet_53

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    From what the Joe's who just graduated basic are telling me the Drill Sergeants have to wear "kiddy gloves." The military in general is getting very soft. Hell, the Black Hats cannot make us do more than ten repetitions when getting "smoked." Anything more is considered hazing. It was much different than when I went through here in 99.

TraderDan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sand Hill? At what point do you realize that you can not defeat sand and embrace it as a friend? Certainally not when it is working the crack of your ass, so when?
    I had more sand in my britches than any man should be entitled to, what a ride!
    Good Luck and enjoy the time as it will soon be a fond memory, you never will forget.

Last edited:

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remember going to Airborne before I went to the 17th ASOS, it about kicked my butt. Being B-52 Aircrew I had it easy! First person out the door jump #1 was a 5'-1" 90lb gal. Black Hat told us we were all pussies if we chickend out after her.....what a rush. Hang in there, Tower week is fun, I don't miss the running in boots though. Good luck and don't let anyone tell you there is such think as a perfectly good airplane, Just ask the Crew Chief, he knows there is something wrong with it somewhere. RLTW!

bayonet_53

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remember going to Airborne before I went to the 17th ASOS, it about kicked my butt. Being B-52 Aircrew I had it easy! First person out the door jump #1 was a 5'-1" 90lb gal. Black Hat told us we were all pussies if we chickend out after her.....what a rush. Hang in there, Tower week is fun, I don't miss the running in boots though. Good luck and don't let anyone tell you there is such think as a perfectly good airplane, Just ask the Crew Chief, he knows there is something wrong with it somewhere. RLTW!

"Perfectly good airplane." I told the Black Hat the same thing; that there is no such thing. Start tower week on Monday. The cadre are extremely lenient towards us sister services (USAF, USMC, NAVY). I really feel bad for the Joe's. How long were you at the 17th? I ruck a lot and never get blisters, but this running in boots is destroying my feet.

Staz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I arrive on Friday may have to meet up with you over the weekend pass any pointers on

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ARDIEMUS, Good luck jumping out of a B52,I thought it was pull that handle and hang on for dear life. Oh I guess if that fails go out the Nav hole...Be about as much fun as jumping a KC135. Really just wish I could have taken a ride in a Buff. One of the guys in engine con had a chance to take a ride when the water pumps wouldn't prime on the end of the runway on Guam when they were launching for a mission over VietNam and said no. I would have went in a heart beat. Bayonet.Practice for those PLF are MUCH worse than the real thing . Just don't look down on your first landing a DON'T and I mean DON'T put one leg out when you land. Broken leg for sure. Is is a rush that you can't get any where else. Good luck and enjoy.:roll:

bobinbusan

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    21995244_images11.jpg Back in the day.jpg Did jump school in Oct.1962, then 101st ABN till 1965 busting out of a C130 back in the day

Attachments

• 21995244_images11.jpg
      21995244_images11.jpg
      42 KB · Views: 142
    • Back in the day.jpg
      Back in the day.jpg
      50.2 KB · Views: 145
    Last edited:

Snow Bird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I never understood why they didn't go off the ramp out of a C130 like sky divers do. It's got to be easyer than the door.

bayonet_53

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    View attachment 12669 View attachment 12670 Did jump school in Oct.1962, then 101st ABN till 1965 busting out of a C130 back in the day

Those are awesome shots. I can only imagine what Airborne training was like back then. The heraldry remains, but we definitely have it easier. We lost 95% of the females today and half of the fat bodies due to a new requirement instituted due to a death that happened at the beginning of the month.

Ardiemus

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What was the requirement? We had a death a few months prior when I was there in '05. Weight of a paratrooper has to be 90lbs minimum due to wind blast and aircraft slipstream seperation. I was at Hunter AAF from 05-07 and loved it. The best was jumping Ft Polk with the whole battalion. 850 men in 14 minutes. We had a 9 plane train. It was Awesome. I was behind the BC and his radio operator on the first troop bird. Throwing yourself against the pit sure hurts but 29 jumps and I never even twisted an ankle. Keep your feet and knees together and watch the horizon. Point your toes just like they say. It works. At least you won't be a dirty nasty leg for long!

bayonet_53

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The weight requirement effective today is 110 lbs; also you must be able to dead hang from a pull up bar and then raise your chin above the bar and hold for 30 seconds.

Top Bottom