• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stealthy1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    While looking at handguns last week for my wife, an employee at one of the local shops told me that he would not buy a revolver. Because of the chance of it discharging if dropped. Is this a common occurrence?
    I do own a couple wheel guns myself, but have not experienced that situation. She does prefer the revolver over the auto, due to having to rack the slide. Any help is appreciated.

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Modern revolver design has pretty much eliminated that possibility. They are every bit as safe as semi autos. That sounds like an Academy firearms expert. Lol

Last edited:

911parrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M.O.A is correct. In my book you can't go wrong with a revolver for safety or personal protection needs. It is generally easier to check if they loaded (just drop the cylinder), and there are fewer points of failure that can take place then with a semiautomatic (i.e faller to feed, eject, extract, etc.). You only get into a possible accidental discharge with a revolver if it's older than the 1960's, I believe, or if there is some malfunction with the manufacturing of the gun.

poff09

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree w the 2 above...even w the older guns the only way I see it happening is if the hammer is already cocked back...with most DA revolvers I've dealt w (keep in mind I'm no expert) the trigger pull is ridiculously heavy so I don't see the hammer moving much if not cocked...I forgot one important thing...stop dropping ur guns and they won't accidentally go off...lol...also agree w the statement that sounds like an Academy employee, or someone who has never shot a revo

M.O.A.

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This problem was assessed by the addition of a hammer block to prevent accidental discharge. Essentially without trigger engagement there is no way for the weapon to fire. If you want absolute assurance get a model with an enclosed hammer :) plus side to these is that there is nothing to snag on clothing during a somewhat less than perfect draw. Add the crimson trace laser grips and you have one very nice CC piece that goes bang EVERY time and never fails to feed or eject . If the heavy trigger bothers you a competent smith can fix that nicely.

Last edited:

stealthy1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys, I have come to the conclusion that the revolver should be fine. I don't really foresee her juggling it anyway. I appreciate the input.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just about any revolver made in the past 100 years is drop safe. The Colt Official Police and Police Positive series did it first. S&W has emulated it and Ruger along with Taurus use a transfer bar system.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drop safety testing was a part of GCA68 so the likelihood of a modern revolver discharging when dropped is unlikely, but not impossible since it's a mechanical device.

Gravity3694

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Drop safety testing was a part of GCA68 so the likelihood of a modern revolver discharging when dropped is unlikely, but not impossible since it's a mechanical device.

That only applies to imports via the sporting use point system. Domestics are exempt, but every manufacturer makes them safe for liability reasons.

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That only applies to imports via the sporting use point system. Domestics are exempt, but every manufacturer makes them safe for liability reasons.

True, but had it not been put in it wouldn't be done. I don't know of any decent manufacturer who doesn't do it especially if they want to sell in CA, MA and NY where it is specifically required by state statute.

Top Bottom