• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Century Arms N PAP M70 Generation 1 AK-47 that I am having problems with concerning the bolt. I understand that this rifle was converted from a single stack to a double stack magazine configuration, but they left the single stack bolt in this Generation 1 version.

The first time I disassembled the bolt for cleaning, I encountered trouble removing the retaining pin for the extractor. I had to drive the retaining pin out with a hammer, it felt as though the retaining pin was too big for the hole. The retaining pin for the firing pin punched out nicely. After cleaning all parts of the bolt, I attempted to reassemble it. I ran into difficulty when I tried to push the retaining pin for the extractor back into the bolt. I could not simply push it back in, even though everything was lined up properly. I would have had to hammer it back in, and I did not feel comfortable doing so.

Could it be that this retaining pin is too large and was improperly forced into the bolt to begin with? I need help getting my bolt back together, any help or information would be appreciated,

Thanks

Pompnewbie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Just out of curiosity.. why not replace the single stack bolt with a true double stack, and eliminate any magazine/feed issues as well?

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't just go swapping bolts on an ak. It's not an ar15.
    You will have to headspace it....plus there may be other issues.....there are lots of versions of this rifle...made by a LOT of different manufacturers.
    If the pin is the only issue you have....better to fix that problem than cause a whole bunch of others by trading the bolt.
    Here is an informative but not well done video about what it would actually take to trade your bolt.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=raFSCzFb7cY

Last edited:

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Thought you just needed a dremmel to fit it. I can't imagine that the skinnies and ragheads building guns on dirt floors would be that sophisticated. Could be wrong.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thought you just needed a dremmel to fit it. I can't imagine that the skinnies and ragheads building guns on dirt floors would be that sophisticated. Could be wrong.

Not sure what kind of hammer they are using......but the barrel pin has to be pressed out with at least a 12 ton press, barrel pressed in or out to headspace( need barred press/pull tool + shop press)...barrel pin hole drilled oversized....and new oversized pin pressed in with shop press.
    This is actually the rule, and not the exception......most firearms have to have extensive and carefull fitting of any new parts.

The reason that ak's have the serial number stamped on every part is so that they are not mixed with another rifle.....and cause a catastrophic failure.

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rrlocoengr - if the pin is not bent or flared ...then I'd say it's probably the hole that is out of spec.....and needs to be reamed to size. I'll have to look that up to see if there is a specific reamer for that or if a numbered bit would suffice.
    You might try ordering a newpin though .....might solve the problem, but wouldn't be a bad idea anyway since the old one has been beaten in/out.

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just out of curiosity.. why not replace the single stack bolt with a true double stack, and eliminate any magazine/feed issues as well?

I do not want to go through the process of changing the bolt because it would require headspacing. Actually I would like to get this one back up and firing so that I can sell it and get one of the Generation 2 N PAP rifles from Century, they added the double stack bolt to those and also did away with the cheesy receiver cover picatinny rail for scopes. They added a receiver side mount for scopes to that one.

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Can't just go swapping bolts on an ak. It's not an ar15.
    You will have to headspace it....plus there may be other issues.....there are lots of versions of this rifle...made by a LOT of different manufacturers.
    If the pin is the only issue you have....better to fix that problem than cause a whole bunch of others by trading the bolt.
    Here is an informative but not well done video about what it would actually take to trade your bolt.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=raFSCzFb7cY

This is the route I want to take, don't want to create a headache!

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

I ordered a new bolt parts kit for it, if the new retaining pin still does not work I may get the Dremel out, thanks!

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Rrlocoengr - if the pin is not bent or flared ...then I'd say it's probably the hole that is out of spec.....and needs to be reamed to size. I'll have to look that up to see if there is a specific reamer for that or if a numbered bit would suffice.
    You might try ordering a newpin though .....might solve the problem, but wouldn't be a bad idea anyway since the old one has been beaten in/out.

Thanks for the advice, I have a new bolt parts kit that I ordered. I will try the new pin and let you know if it works. If not, I am thinking I need to ream it out as you mention, please let me know if you find a tool for that.

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I will try the new retaining pin and let you all know if it goes in ok. If not, will be seeking some gunsmith help. I have watched some YouTube videos of the bolt assembly process and they show removing and replacing those pins so easily with a punch and hand force...something is wrong in my situation.

RRlocoENGR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Got the problem corrected. I was not holding my mouth correctly...finally got the bolt back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom