• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Try'n Hard

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If its been covered - I missed it. I have been able to conceal carry in Alabama with my Florida permit. Am I still allowed in Alabama or is my Florida license no longer good??

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Your Florida permit is still good if not expired, the new Alabama law that went in to effect in January is only for Alabama residents to carry concealed without needing a permit to do so

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I wish Florida would do the same by abolishing permits then have a reciprocal agreement with Alabama like they have on concealed carry permits

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I wish Florida would do the same by abolishing permits then have a reciprocal agreement with Alabama like they have on concealed carry permits
    DeSantis just signed permitless concealed carry into law yesterday 4/3/23. It goes into effect July 1st. As for reciprocity, that still requires a state permit which are still going to be available. There's still no open carry in FL, so it's not constitutional carry, though it's being touted as such.

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Your Florida permit is still good if not expired, the new Alabama law that went in to effect in January is only for Alabama residents to carry concealed without needing a permit to do so
    From everything I read, the Alabama law is not restricted only to Alabama residents. I may be wrong, but the only restrictions are that you have to be 19, never have been convicted of a violent crime, be legally allowed to own a firearm, and not have any mental health issues documented.

DixieReb

Conservative American
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    The bill uses the term “Residents” so my interpretation would be that concealed carry without a permit in the state of Alabama would be only for residents of the state of Alabama. It’s always been legal here to open carry. I keep a permit though as I spend a lot of time in Florida as my home is only about 16 miles from the state line.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    From everything I read, the Alabama law is not restricted only to Alabama residents. I may be wrong, but the only restrictions are that you have to be 19, never have been convicted of a violent crime, be legally allowed to own a firearm, and not have any mental health issues documented.
    Yep... that's what I think, but people who should know more than I are even unsure : )

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The bill uses the term “Residents” so my interpretation would be that concealed carry without a permit in the state of Alabama would be only for residents of the state of Alabama. It’s always been legal here to open carry. I keep a permit though as I spend a lot of time in Florida as my home is only about 16 miles from the state line.
    If you've found a version that says "residents", I'd like to see it. The only one I can find is below, which says "person", as in:

3 This bill would eliminate the requirement
    4 for a person to obtain a concealed carry permit in
    5 order to lawfully carry a pistol.

http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.us/ALISON/SearchableInstruments/2022RS/PrintFiles/HB272-enr.pdf

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Str
    DeSantis just signed permitless concealed carry into law yesterday 4/3/23. It goes into effect July 1st. As for reciprocity, that still requires a state permit which are still going to be available. There's still no open carry in FL, so it's not constitutional carry, though it's being touted as such.
    Streets are gonna run red!!! :)

2A4Life

Marksman
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0

Attachments

• AE99315A-2A29-409F-A07E-2BD360FB7EB0.jpeg
      AE99315A-2A29-409F-A07E-2BD360FB7EB0.jpeg
      530.3 KB · Views: 57

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Found this upon researching the subject earlier.
    Yep... adds weight to the "person" side of the scale, as does the quote below, but we're still left hanging as to what the final interpretation of the Alabama AG is, for example : )

"Beginning on January 1, 2023, any law-abiding Alabama resident or other law-abiding citizen (regardless of the state in which he or she resides) who is at least 19 years old or older and legally permitted to carry a firearm will no longer be required to obtain a permit in order to carry a concealed pistol."

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/al-gun-laws/

We discussed this in another thread where we never did resolve it with certainty:

https://www.gulfcoastgunforum.com/t...and-alabama-permitless-concealed-carry.92891/

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know very few people that  don't have a concealed carry permit and I would assume that most of the folks on this forum have a ccp also so I'm not clear as to why it's a big deal. We travel on occasion and I like to carry legally wherever we go so I'll continue to renew my ccp.

DustyDog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I know very few people that  don't have a concealed carry permit and I would assume that most of the folks on this forum have a ccp also so I'm not clear as to why it's a big deal. We travel on occasion and I like to carry legally wherever we go so I'll continue to renew my ccp.
    Just like in Florida... we're not getting "Constitutional Carry", so why did they waste their time on "permitless concealed-only"? Who is going to give up a permit that they already have, and still need to get out of the three-day wait? This new bill was a farce. We've had "concealed-only" in Florida since 1987!

P.S. the point being, it should be Constitutional Carry in ALL 50 STATES! : )

shadeogray

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It doesn’t read that way on mental issues

Top Bottom