• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Any of y’all ever cut your own cane fishing poles? If so, Do you varnish them or coat them with anything? Or Just use it till it breaks and make another. Any tips.
    Figured it would be a good project for me and the kiddos to do, we’ve sanded them down pretty good
    3b7eb497c1ded18b81544347a1c099c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    IMO a cane pole of the proper diameter makes a great flounder gig also.
    They will bend quite a bit,then break,but never seperate. Made many of them in my younger days. Never did a thing to them except filed the knuckles smooth. --- SAWMAN

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I painted them with polyurethane I had in the shed.
    I never thought about trying to straighten them, probably to late now but I may do more later. Just wanted the kids to have a cane pole to fish in our pond and realized no one sells them now. All everyone had are the two piece ones

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I painted them with polyurethane I had in the shed.
    I never thought about trying to straighten them, probably to late now but I may do more later. Just wanted the kids to have a cane pole to fish in our pond and realized no one sells them now. All everyone had are the two piece ones

Is that so that no one sells bamboo for fishing poles. Wow.

MarkS

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Is that so that no one sells bamboo for fishing poles. Wow.

I haven’t seen a one piece cane pole in years and have wondered why they are impossible to find
    I have seen gigging poles made from cane just no one piece fishing poles like I grew up with

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have no idea why nobody sells them anymore. I called around several places, bait shops, marine supply stores, academy, ace hardware, nobody seems to sell the one piece ones. Only the junk two or three piece cane poles.
    So I called a woman I know that owns a nursery and she said I could come by and cut a few, she’s suppose to get me one to plant.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take care when planting bamboo. You want the type that grows in a circle, that is to say do not send out under ground running root systems that will leave your yard and easily go 75 ft with a new bamboo popping up every few feet. Very hard to kill once they get started. I am still killing one that left my neighbors yard for my property.
    I cut each shoot that pops up and immediately fill the hollow with herbicide or diesel.

Try'n Hard

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Take care when planting bamboo. You want the type that grows in a circle, that is to say do not send out under ground running root systems that will leave your yard and easily go 75 ft with a new bamboo popping up every few feet. Very hard to kill once they get started. I am still killing one that left my neighbors yard for my property.
    I cut each shoot that pops up and immediately fill the hollow with herbicide or diesel.

True!

Top Bottom