• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwhich50

Shooter
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When I was younger, and into hunting, and gun collecting we had three basic classifications for 38, 357 store ammo.
    Factory reloads, cheaper bullets (FMJ, semi-wadcutters), and expensive ammo (hollow points, "defense loads").

Now that I am taking more interest in shooting at our local range, I am finding that things have changed.
    I can't find factory reloads anymore, which was what I typically used for target practice.
    "Cheaper ammo" is now called 'target, or training ammo'. This makes wonder whether they have the same, adequate stopping power as the cheaper SWC, and FMJs from the 80s, 90s.
    I have read that factory 357 ammo is not as 'hot' as it used to be when I was a young man. I think it has to do with the demand for lighter, more concealable revolvers.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks.
    20240319_144303.jpg

Last edited:

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I can attest to .357 loads being a lot softer than they were a few decades ago. Last time we were going through the gun safe trying to find a set of grips we came across half a box of ammo from when he was a cop carrying a .357 mag. Advertised velocity of a 158gr JHP was almost 1600fps. Today's rounds advertise around 1200fps. When we went to the range, we took some of those and some modern Federal HST's in 158gr and the old rounds were definitely hotter.

.22 cents

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    SAAMI reduced the .357 magnum max pressure recommendations from about 43,500 psi to 35,000 psi because S&W asked them too. Their guns were blowing up. This was in the 90's.

sloporsche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    margaritaville bay county ...old people place
    Hornady critical defense 125 gr 357 1500 fps /sig 125 gr 357 1450 fps both loads are proven man stoppers ,you really do not need the old "super vel " ammo . The wife likes hornady 38 sp 125 gr jhp 900 fps shooting my 2.5 python at the range and I use them in my SW 340 PD for range use then switch to 357 hot loads for just before leaving torture . Home defense and CC get hornady 357 magnum in both with 2 speed loaders each and a box of ammo in the car . imho buy what is on sale for plinking where you really do not care about FTF and well known 357 magnum brand for personal defense .....i wont debate the 125 gr vs the 158 gr or barrel length

Rebel_Rider1969

Well Known Nuisance
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    In relation to the rated speeds on the boxes, they are lying. It may say " from x lenght barrel" some where on it. Rifle ammo specs are usually from a 22-24 inch barrel. They are a little disingenuous sometimes.

Top Bottom