• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FUPAGUNT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Looking for a bolt action .223 and wanted some input on both of these brands.. Ive owned a couple Marlins and loved how accurate they are right out of the box, but I heard Savage was the same way.. any pros or cons of either?

MIAMI MATT

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please do yourself the favor of getting the Savage,one of the best if not the best value for your dollar you get out of any gun period.Esp. with accu-trigger..Straight out of the box tack-driving machines..

moron1

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I owned a Stevens 200 in .223 (same as a Savage without the accutrigger) that would consistently group 20 shots into a tennis ball size group at 100 yards. That was with steel cased Monarch ammo. The Marlin X7 rifle is available with a 26" heavy barrel and comes pillar bedded. It also has an adjustable trigger and a fluted bolt. This rifle sure looks tempting since they sell for around $335.00 locally. Go to gallery of guns and you can compare them. I was a moron and sold my Stevens. Lesson learned; " Never sell an accurate reliable gun!"

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    SAVAGE DITTO what Matt said. You can pay a lot more and get a lot less.

I sent a request to Peterson and another gun rag to shoot 10 base model Rems and 10 base savage long guns all in the same cal. Then avg the results into one group size for each batch. No response.. I guess they need to pay the bills. Lol.

WR

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For a pretty basic tackdriver I would look for one of the older Savage 110FP's. I believe that they came in 223Rem or 308Win chamberings.

All black,20" semi-bull floated bbl.Plastic stock. No Accutriggger, however very easily worked for weight,creep,AND over-travel. Great guns.

THE most accurate rifle that I have ever owned is a Savage 112 Series J. Chambered in 220Swift, would shoot in the .300" all day long with the 50gr Bergers. --- SAWMAN

Last edited:

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    savage are great if you DONT GET THE AXIS/EDGE, its non-upgradeable

The stevens 200 is better for upgrades, the 110 series FP series are the best for upgrading

The marlin X7 VH (heavy barrel) are $329ish with a good barrel if you do not want to upgrade its better off to start with a heavy

I prefer non-accutrigger savage/stevens, easy to clip a few coils and get a lighter trigger

Of course you can get a heavy barrel 700 and be good to go lol

Shley65

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Haven't any experience with them (yet) but the Mossberg MVP looks promising .

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    After having my Savage i am hard pressed to recommend any other bolt gun for off the shelf accuracy. A co-worker bought a Tika T3 around the same time and loves his as well. Lots of good bolt guns out there right now.

RIPpff

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the mossberg mvp is badass, no one has em, albeit it is a mossberg so wont be tack driver accurate, but hell it takes ar mags

gulfwaterman

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I picked up a marlin XL7 in 25 06 over 3 years ago and it has been a great gun. The marlin also has its own version of the accutrigger. I worked at a gun shop the past 3 winters and we sold tons of the XL7 models with great feedback from our customers.

Top Bottom