• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have a NIB BSA sweet 22 scope thats about 10-15 years old but always been kept inside. I took it out this weekend and the rubberized coating is like wet tar. It sticks to your hands and gets black all over whatever it touches. What do y'all suggest to clean it off?

JWlineman

Master
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Is this coating over the whole scope body or just the ends? I would try something easy like maybe diluted vinegar or maybe a citric based cleaner and be sure to wipe clean

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That is the coating of the scope. I had one in a drawer with all kinds of goodies stuck to it. I had to throw away the entire drawer. JUNK product

RidgeRunner

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    It's coming off the rubber ends of the scope, and some scope have a rubber coating , Sad to say but chinese rubber is going to break down in that time frame. I don't know why they use it on stuff like that. It's even a problem with expensive shotgun butt pads and such. LUDICRIS to use it on items intended to last awhile. Thats also why your weed eaters and lawnmowers won't start the next year.
    I have bought many name brand $200+ boots that were new in box but a few years old and the soles crumble and fall off.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Is this coating over the whole scope body or just the ends? I would try something easy like maybe diluted vinegar or maybe a citric based cleaner and be sure to wipe clean
    It's over the whole scope and I know its a cheap one but I hate to toss it away as I got it for my Dad and funny enough it's never been installed. He had a 22 he wanted to put it on and we never got around to it. Since his passing I've been going thru stuff and decided to mount on the rifle he wanted to put it on.

16gauge

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the same scope given to me with the same problem. The entire outside rubber is tacky. My Bushnell laser range finder has the same problem. It is the mold-release agent that causes it. It is applied to the surface of the rubber so it does not stick to the mold. When the rubber cools it will come out of the mold easier. Unfortunately over time it causes the rubber to become tacky. Browning had the same problem with their Dura-Touch stocks.

Snake-Eyes

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Rubbing alcohol, paper towels, “elbow grease”, and patience. You can get the sticky stuff removed. Q-tips may be necessary for areas very close to the lenses.

“Goo Gone” works much easier, but it’s more expensive than rubbing alcohol, and it leaves a slight orange smell, unless exhaustively cleaned off.

Either way, you can salvage the item.

Top Bottom