• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Has anyone else had a problem with a buffer breaking into pieces? I just started stripping my AR to clean it after about 400 rounds and this is what I found:

025_zps412a40c5.jpg

I have no idea what might have caused it. I bought the stock kit from "The Global Sportsman" and it's supposed to be an Ultimate Arms Gear Tactical Buffer Kit. Anyone have any insight?

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes I have seen them break the 3 I have seen were from broken(or weak) buffer retaining pin spring.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    So you are saying that the spring gets weak, and allows the pin to drop down, allowing the buffer to be pushed by the buffer spring into the upper, and at that point it is slammed by the rear of the BCG ?? --- SAWMAN

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I built the lower about 3 months ago and it only has about 800 rounds through it. The buffer retaining pin still seems very strong. Is there some way to check it?

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes i have seen them broken laying by trigger group, some cheap buffers with triangugal shape ca easily jump a weak detent, have also seen bolt catch spring used in wrong spot, stock theaded to deep and binds detent until fired a few, have had to dremel notch in tube for clearance. Ther are varibles between comm. And true mil-spec (imho)

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I may be missing something .but If what I'm seeing it is a two piece buffer, they are not very strong, as a one piece mill buffer, In other words it was a cheap buffer. If you would like I have a buffer that needs the internal parts if you want one.,I used the parts in a SS steel heavy buffer I made for a piston gun to work right Just my 50 cents jj
    I don't think I have every seen a buffer detaint cause a buffer to break.

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I may be missing something .but If what I'm seeing it is a two piece buffer, they are not very strong, as a one piece mill buffer, In other words it was a cheap buffer. If you would like I have a buffer that needs the internal parts if you want one.,I used the parts in a SS steel heavy buffer I made for a piston gun to work right Just my 50 cents jj
    I don't think I have every seen a buffer detaint cause a buffer to break.

Judging by the threads, I'm assuming that it is a 2 piece buffer. I had another buffer I switched out and I've got a billet buffer ordered. Hopefully those will solve the problem.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oneshot is correct it is a cheap buffer. I have seen some strange failures in the field, I'm sure it,s not Mil-spec setup. What is the tube shape,is the end flat or angled.

ARgument

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Installed a magpull adjustable cheek and shoulder stock.. bought the correct tube but for got the spring and buffer... Is it correct to assume the correct spring length is 11 inches and the short buffer....???

Gotta say that short buffer isn't very encouraging.... After 400 rnds... WTF...

Last edited:

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oneshot is correct it is a cheap buffer. I have seen some strange failures in the field, I'm sure it,s not Mil-spec setup. What is the tube shape,is the end flat or angled.

The end of the buffer tube is flat. The entire buttstock and buffer kit was sold to me as mil-spec.

Top Bottom