• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    I bought a used Black Aces quad rail off eBay, the pictures showed most of the important hardware was included. Turns out I was only missing 2 small 6-32 tapered head screws. BA offers replacement hardware kits, I checked before ordering, but I'm not paying $35 just to replace 2 screws. All I could find locally was zinc plated and stainless, which I opted for because of a slightly larger head. I researched methods of turning SS black, products are available. I bead blasted them Monday before I left work and when I got home put them in some oxpho cold blue, just to try. Not surprised there was no immediate reaction, before going to bed last night I swirled them around and noticed a slight tint. This morning I woke up to black screws! A few spots that didn't get coated (edges/threads) were still white so I rolled them around and they're still soaking. I seriously doubt I'd try this on anything else, but I'm a happy camper that I didn't have to resort to a sharpie.

Last edited:

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Not really too much work, but yeah I'm pretty rural so the downside is limitations on availability of resources. I'm a industrial maintenance tech, we have all sizes & kinds of hardware, but everything is metric.

Bamaboy19

Marksman
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Seems like a lot of work for 2 screws. I believe Hall's in Milton has them (6-32) in black. They've a bunch of gun and accessory screws in black.
    The shotgun I'm working on, ironically, was purchased from another member from Milton. I'm sure I could order some or find them in Dothan, AL. I'm still not 100% sure this quad rail will be used. I did win a GB auction and my 24" rifled bore barrel is on the way! We shall see soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom