• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    What the hell is this ?? Anyway...it's black.

It's my Beretta CX4 Storm chambered in 45ACP. Shoots like a Mo-Fo. Great little close range hog/deer slayer shooting the Hornady 230gr XTP +P's. --- SAWMAN

Attachments

• fdb6.jpg
      fdb6.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 602

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks!
    Its an ever changing lineup, but it took me awhile to find out what works for me.
    The POF with a Larue Tactical return-to-zero mount and a Leupy 1.5-5x. The mount is fantastic, the verdict is still out on the optics.

E5838C62-F429-4F9B-912B-CAA234F7D655-7058-000007A78496C4AD_zpsacd0402d.jpg

I like your style.... :smile:

How do you like your POF? I picked mine up used for what I thought was a fantastic deal and it is turning out to be one of my favorite rifles...

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    E5838C62-F429-4F9B-912B-CAA234F7D655-7058-000007A78496C4AD_zpsacd0402d.jpg

I like your style.... :smile:

How do you like your POF? I picked mine up used for what I thought was a fantastic deal and it is turning out to be one of my favorite rifles...
    I love it.
    At this point, a few hundred rds in my only complaint is the 1/2" MOA clicks on the Leupy. The POF is a really nice piece of work, the trigger is fantastic. Very balanced, light and very accurate. Ive only shot it to 100 yds so far, but its very consistant with off the shelf ammo.
    The Larue RTZ mount does exactly what they claim, I pulled it off the set the ironsights and re-mounted it later, it was right where I left it earlier. Very cool
    I love the BDC illuminated reticle on the Leupy, its not too busy (I hate that) but its very effective, and the glass is fantastic.
    I do not like those clickers though (1/2 MOA) I would much prefer a tighter adjustment/click. It hasent been a problem so far, but we'll see what happens later when I get a chance to stretch its legs a bit.
    I was actually going to get the exact Trijicon you have, but the reticle on the Leupy sold me. I'm not sure if I made the right choice or not yet. I sacrificed tighter adjustments for a better (IMO) reticle. It may bite me on the ass for distance shots.
    No doubt the POF is gonna be a go-to weapon for me, I'm really impressed with their work

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I haven't looked through that leupold, but have heard great things about their optics. The larue mounts are awesome, I too have never had an issue with losing zero after removing the scope.

Is your's the 16" model? Mine is 14.5" with the brake welded... and it sure does make some noise, I might remove that brake and weld a suppressor mount on mine in its place at some point.

Let me know how it does at longer distances, glad you're liking yours too!

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yeah, its a 16"
    He had a 14.5 in stock, I loved it. I'd like to have both (hehe) I went over to get an LWRC, but changed my mind after doing some digging on the POF's
    The only qualm I have is that it uses POF parts instead of standard stuff like the LWRC's but I doubt I'll have any problems.
    I read where they had some issue's early on, but have gotten them resolved on the newer ones. No problems yet but I'm still on the honeymoon with this thing. The Leupy has some really nice glass, but its not any better than the Trijicon you have, thats a great scope!
    Thats a fine specimen you have there

Last edited:

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Blackeyes, with respect I say..."snap back into reality". The reason that I say this is the following. This is a "reasonably" short to medium range weapon. If it was not ...it would be a bolt gun...it would have a longer bbl than 16 inches...what ammo do you shoot?...what trigger is in that gun?...it has a single point sling(soooo this is not a bench gun,your shots will primarily be from a unrested/semi-rested position)...you have close range sights installed also,do they co-witness or are they for when the scope is detached ?? What is their adjustments ??

This is all great(for you)....so my point is the (your)minor complaint about the Leupold's adjustments of 1/2MOA. One click moves the reticle only 1/2 inch at 100yds. Can you hold that good ?? Even from the bench and bags ?? Put a blank piece of paper up at 100yds. Put a bullet thru it. NOW...put four more bullets exactly 1/2 inch away from each other. This sir,is reality.

This is why I do not own any scopes with the 1/8th minute adjustments. Personally,I believe that Leupold puts the 1/2MOA adjustments in this scope for a reason. And this,most likely after quite a bit of research and testing. Sooo,I say that the 1/2MOA adjustments in that very fine Leupold you have there will serve you well. You will surely be able to live with the adjustments built into your scope.

I say the above without making a complaint about your set-up. I see allot of shooters worrying about the little things nowadays. I do the same and also have to come back to reality. For me it is the weapons general accuracy. I generally shoot at a 1/2 inch orange dot. If I miss this target by 1/4 inch I get somewhat upset. WRONG !! Your setup will serve you well. It is a tool that you will use to solve a "problem". The "problem"...putting a very small,high speed projectile as close as possible to where you want it to be.

Good Shootin' --- SAWMAN

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Blackeyes, with respect I say..."snap back into reality". The reason that I say this is the following. This is a "reasonably" short to medium range weapon. If it was not ...it would be a bolt gun...it would have a longer bbl than 16 inches...what ammo do you shoot?...what trigger is in that gun?...it has a single point sling(soooo this is not a bench gun,your shots will primarily be from a unrested/semi-rested position)...you have close range sights installed also,do they co-witness or are they for when the scope is detached ?? What is their adjustments ??

This is all great(for you)....so my point is the (your)minor complaint about the Leupold's adjustments of 1/2MOA. One click moves the reticle only 1/2 inch at 100yds. Can you hold that good ?? Even from the bench and bags ?? Put a blank piece of paper up at 100yds. Put a bullet thru it. NOW...put four more bullets exactly 1/2 inch away from each other. This sir,is reality.

This is why I do not own any scopes with the 1/8th minute adjustments. Personally,I believe that Leupold puts the 1/2MOA adjustments in this scope for a reason. And this,most likely after quite a bit of research and testing. Sooo,I say that the 1/2MOA adjustments in that very fine Leupold you have there will serve you well. You will surely be able to live with the adjustments built into your scope.

I say the above without making a complaint about your set-up. I see allot of shooters worrying about the little things nowadays. I do the same and also have to come back to reality. For me it is the weapons general accuracy. I generally shoot at a 1/2 inch orange dot. If I miss this target by 1/4 inch I get somewhat upset. WRONG !! Your setup will serve you well. It is a tool that you will use to solve a "problem". The "problem"...putting a very small,high speed projectile as close as possible to where you want it to be.

Good Shootin' --- SAWMAN
    Thanks Sawman, your logic is undeniable...
    I actually agree with you on all counts, I think my OCD gets the better of me all too often when it comes to weapons.
    No doubt I am the weakest link in the chain (hehe)

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    NO...thank you sir. I was hoping that you would not take it wrong. My statements were meant for the masses and not to single you out. I would fully admit that I get all caught up on the scope,bullet,accuracy thing every so often. My above statements were actually meant for every shooter that constantly tries to improve themselves with their weapons,equipment,and training.

The obsession on accuracy finally caught up with me some years ago when I walked into a small'ish local gun shop that was filled with what I considered the real gun guru's. I had a target in my hand that I had shot with a Win Mod 70XTR chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. The 100yd group had been fired at a 1/2 inch bright orange dot. The group was circled around the dot to the tune of about 1.5MOA. I commenced to whine about the gun and what could I do to improve it's accuracy. The old gunsmith in the back came out,took the target,and after stareing at it for what seemed like and eternity said...."well son,I'll tell ya what,I have never seen a deer smaller that that group". He handed me back my target and slowly walked back into his work area. I had some coffee,BS'ed with the people in the shop for awhile,and on the way home if finally hit me. SHIT....he was right on.

Next time in I (probably overly)thanked him. He seemed somewhat dumbfounded by the thanks. I feel that this old man taught me a valuable lesson. --- SAWMAN

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What the hell is this ?? Anyway...it's black.

It's my Beretta CX4 Storm chambered in 45ACP. Shoots like a Mo-Fo. Great little close range hog/deer slayer shooting the Hornady 230gr XTP +P's. --- SAWMAN

Hey Sawman, I just landed one of these from an ex LE guy, its a .40 cal and runs the same mags as my wife's Baretta pistol, so I have a total of 7 mags for it.
    I could not pass up the deal, I got it for not much more than the Eotech cost's new. Its had less than 50 rounds through it, I've not even shot it yet.
    Anything I need to know about them??

Attachments

• IMG_7362.jpg
      IMG_7362.jpg
      170.2 KB · Views: 472

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Blackeyes, The Beretta line of the CX4 Storms are super little guns. I have shot all three and the 9mm shoots so softly,is short,light,and handles so beautifully,that a buddy bought one for his 8yo son to use on hogs at the super close ranges of his ladder stand setup(25yds). His son killed two deer with it last year. Both were >100lbs and shot at 20 and 35yds out of a ladder stand.

The "bad" things about these guns are the trigger and the safety. Both are super tough. These is a mod that you can do on both and my buddy had done them for his sons usage. I have pulled mine apart and took a look at the guts of the gun however I have only reworked the trigger down to a little over 6lbs. There are some things that you can do to slick up the trigger w/o taking the complete trigger ass'y out of the gun. This alone will do wonders to the "feel".

My 45ACP version will shoot into 2" groups at 50yds using the Hornady factory 230gr XTP +P's. I have killed several hogs and a doe with my gun. One old sow that was 220lbs+,about 7 years ago.

The guns are fairly cheap to shoot and are as accurate as they were designed to be. Your gun will give you another 100-120fps over a pistol. I would suggest that you use the heaviest bullet possible for hunting. For range/plinking....the cheapest load possible. --- SAWMAN

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Blackeyes, The Beretta line of the CX4 Storms are super little guns. I have shot all three and the 9mm shoots so softly,is short,light,and handles so beautifully,that a buddy bought one for his 8yo son to use on hogs at the super close ranges of his ladder stand setup(25yds). His son killed two deer with it last year. Both were >100lbs and shot at 20 and 35yds out of a ladder stand.

The "bad" things about these guns are the trigger and the safety. Both are super tough. These is a mod that you can do on both and my buddy had done them for his sons usage. I have pulled mine apart and took a look at the guts of the gun however I have only reworked the trigger down to a little over 6lbs. There are some things that you can do to slick up the trigger w/o taking the complete trigger ass'y out of the gun. This alone will do wonders to the "feel".

My 45ACP version will shoot into 2" groups at 50yds using the Hornady factory 230gr XTP +P's. I have killed several hogs and a doe with my gun. One old sow that was 220lbs+,about 7 years ago.

The guns are fairly cheap to shoot and are as accurate as they were designed to be. Your gun will give you another 100-120fps over a pistol. I would suggest that you use the heaviest bullet possible for hunting. For range/plinking....the cheapest load possible. --- SAWMAN
    Thanks Sawman, I did notice the trigger, it feels like a kids water gun (hehe) I suspect it is a little different from yours for whatever reason. Its not hard to pull in, but its a long pull with not much feel at all. The trigger group on my POF has ruined me
    I will proceed accordingly...

Last edited:

ben_p

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some quick pics of my newest AR and my old AR after putting the lower together tonight:

null_zpsc9e19430.jpg

New: BCM Middy LW, MAG tactical lower, PSA build kit, MOE furniture, WMD NiBx BCG, and a BCM CH. It's super light and very accurate.

null_zpsadf6bc0b.jpg

Old: Accurate Armory carbine, Troy VTAC 15" rail, PWS triad FS, Magpul ACS stock, MOE+ grip, and XTM hand stop.

Thanks to Little Jack's Guns for pretty much everything it took to build the new rifle. Now waiting on an upper and the furniture in the mail to build my wife a hot pink Magpul AR.

DragonSlayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first AR build.

ForumRunner_20130602_172154.png

ForumRunner_20130602_172202.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130602_172154.png
      ForumRunner_20130602_172154.png
      101.3 KB · Views: 424
    • ForumRunner_20130602_172202.png
      ForumRunner_20130602_172202.png
      104.7 KB · Views: 427

ksenter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    maaaaannnn....I LIKE THAT! Only suggestion I have is to get rid of them cumbersome UTG rail protectors and get some nice ladder-style protectors or the ERGO strips. Those UTG are just so big

DragonSlayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I may change them. I needed something to soften the quad rails a bit. My neighbor gave me those. Thanks, I'm happy with it, going to build a flat top next.

latch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My 15yo's: PSA lower, RRA Govt contour barrel, Blackhawk/Magpul furniture
    DSC05909.jpg
    My 13yo's: PSA lower, AR Stoner M4 barrel, Blackhawk/RedX furniture
    DSC05908.jpg
    My toy - not a rifle I know. NFA Lower, RedX upper
    DSC05907.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05909.jpg