• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Carbine Gypsy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Funny you should ask***"""
    FOR THE LAST 2 YEARS I HAVE BEEN CLEARING BRUSH BY HAND. ARTESIAN WELL HAS BEEN FLOWING FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS SO THE CREEK BED IS OVER GROWN AND I DECITED TO CLEAR IT TO BUILD A FIVE ACKER POND. RATTLE SNAKES LOVE THAT COOL WATER AND SHADE SHORT STORY I HAVE KILLED 14 RATTLERS 38 SHOT SHELLS 158 PELLETS OF NUMBER 9 SHOT OUT OF A 2 INCH BARREL AIN'T GOING TO WORK CHECK YOUR PATTERN AT 10 FEET ONE OR TWO PELLETS IN A RATTLERS HEAD PISSES HIM OFF A 6 INCH BLACKHAWK WORKED GOOD FOR ME .BUT I ENDED UP BUYING THE BEST SNAKE GUN OUT STAINLESS 3 INCH CHAMBER JUDGE WITH 3 INCH BARREL NUMBER 6 SHOT WORKS GREAT...
    SIDE NOTE IF YOU CATCH THEM ALIVE LOCAL TAXIDERMY BUYS THEM FOR $10.A FOOT FOR.THE LARGER ONES THEY MAKE FINE HAT BANDS.
    DON'T FORGET SNAKE BITE KIT.
    My hats off to you sir! Snakes send me into a sissyfied panic, I’m ashamed to say. Have killed one crawling up the side of my foundation with a Taurus Judge.

At the time, I first moved in, I didn’t have a mower so I had to hire a lawn crew. It’s a new build so I’m pretty sure the critters, bears included, weren’t pleased with their habitat being destroyed. Who could blame them.

Well, the sight of this snake crawling up my foundation trying to get under the siding brought the lawn crew to a screeching halt.

When informed I expeditiously retrieved my steel companion, took aim ina squaring position, steady against the house: the first shot nearly cut it in half. I had to walk up on him and execute him with a shot to the head that pretty much obliterated the skull. The Judge found the evil reptile guilty of trespassing.

Once inside I calmed my nerves(never let them see you sweat. Cool as a swan on top, but paddling like hell underwater ).

Jevaughn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My dad has an old .22 revolver with a smooth bore that my grandfather had before him. Don't know the brand or model, but it does pretty well with .22 shot shells and isn't very loud. He's the kind of guy who doesn't like live snakes, dead snakes, big snakes, little snakes, or crooked sticks that look like snakes. He wears it on his hip every time he cuts the yard and I've seen him blow the head off a skink at 5 yards because he thought it might be a snake without his neighbors calling the cops.

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I would use a 12 gauge of which I always have at the ready. Some have said they prefer snake shot. Snake shot is approaching $2 per round. Why would you want to take a $2 shot when a $0.50 shot might be more effective for the task? Just sayin'
    Mrs. Sj1 agrees with using a 12 gauge first and foremost, but she wouldn't care what it cost. She doesn't want to see a snake at all, before, during, or after it gets shot. She preferred my o/u Stoeger for snakes. Or, rather, she preferred ME using it on snakes.

fl57caveman

eclectic atavist
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    load of 12ga birdshot lives for such as this

impresses the wife, that you thought of using the biggest and best to protect her from a deadly serpent.. kind of biblical even....

Last edited:

sj1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    load of 12ga birdshot lives for such as this

impresses the wife, that you of using the biggest and best to protect her from a deadly serpent.. kind of biblical even....
    When we go anywhere that sells ammo, (gun show, Bass Pro, etc.) she asks me if we need more of that snake shot ammo..... "We"...I love it!

fisheadgib

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When I'm walking around our place or the hunting camp, I'm carrying a stainless Charter Arms Bulldog Pug with two of my hand loaded #9 shotshells and three 200gr cast RFN's behind them. I've never needed more than one shotshell for any snake.

Top Bottom