• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • forward bite

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have always believed that if you have to choose, it's better to spend a little less on the rifle and a little more on the optics. Having said that, today's scopes have come a long way. Just looking for opinions on the best bang for your buck on a mid to high end scope. Especially curious on opinions on the Meoptas, but also Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles or any others. Pros and cons of different magnifications and objective sizes. Use would be primarily deer hunting with shots ranging from 75-300 yds. Thanks

Burnt Drag

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Since Leupold has such an excellent product and an even better warrenty on MADE IN USA scopes, I'd buy what I could afford. You'll not go wrong with them. They take care of business. I sent them a VX2 scope that had some fogging and crud on the lens and they sent back my scope with many new parts and it was just like new. I own 3 leupolds and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. My Christmas present to myself was a VX3 with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective with the CDS
    ballistic match system. It's much more sophisticated than I'll ever be. I got the best price in the U.S. from outdoors4less.net.

Blackeyes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I end up with Leupy's because they are affordable, but I always dream about a Nightforce with an NP-R1 reticle

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have hunted a few afternoons now with my Millet on the R1 and I love it! Collects light extremely well. To get all the same features and specs I would have spent 4x amount for a Leopold,ziess,Nikon, ect.(which I own on other guns) best for money in my personal owning!

Overtime

Fear the Wombat!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have leupolds and meoptas, i like them both but i would have to give the edge to meopta...it seems like better glass to me.

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a bit of a Trijicon fan boy... I think that they are fantastic scopes and I particularly like the battery free illumination.

Action

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Leupold is a good scope. Have a kahles that's awsome. I wouldn't buy another night force if they were half off. Spend the extra change and get a Schmidt and bender. You will never look back.

TennJeep1618

2M 1FTE
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    look at the Zeiss conquest too as well as the Leupold and redfields

I love my Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50mm and my old Redfield Tracker. I haven't had any experience with the new Redfields.

For hunting I would get a 30mm tube and as big of an objective as you can where you still have a comfortable cheek weld. That will open up your field of view and gather more light. I can see well past legal shooting light with my Zeiss and everything is crystal clear.

I don't have much experience with any Vortex scopes, but I have a pair of their Fury's and they rival my dad's Zeiss binos for a small fraction of the cost. You might want to look into them, especially with their no questions asked warranty.

Last edited:

Zeroed in

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Best Scope for "the money". I'm assuming on a fixed budget. I'd have to say Leupold or Docter (same as zeiss). Both of these are affordable without breaking the bank. Both are excellent glass, with the Docter being of better quality in my opinion. You can see at night easily with just the light of the moon. Makes the difference on those early AM, late PM shots.
    Had a Simmons 2.5 x 10 x 50mm once. After legal hours to shoot, a deer walked onto the field. I tried scoping the deer in, and the most I got was the blue'ish hazy outline of the deer. I could have made a kill shot if I needed to. But we were there comparing scopes, not hunting. My friend had a Docter scope, 3 x 9 x 40mm. She, yes She, scoped the
    6 point buck in on her Docter scope. It was so clear, we could easily count the points of this deer. The range was 85 yards, with a quarter moon.

I'm sure they're other scopes as good and near the price range, but I'm happy with the ones I have. (Kahles, Zeiss, Docter, Leupold).

barebones1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    i like the nightforce over my leupolds. let me add i use it only for bench/target shooting, so dusk and dawn does not come into play.

merkinman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I think part of the question should be, where am I, can we Import it, where does mid/high end start.

Khaot1c

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I have a Burris Full Field II on my Rem. 788, 22-250 and I'm very happy with it. When I was putting my Ruger 10/22 together, a Leupold Rifleman in 2-7 x33 fell into my lap at a GREAT price. Mostly 'range' type enviornment so dusk/dawn wasn't an issue.

Get what you can afford but don't get less than what the gun really needs. Save a little longer to avoid buyers remorse. Heck, the way ammo availabiltiy has been lately - it may be a while before you can shoot it anyway. What's that? you reload your own and can't find powder either......yup, i feel your pain.....

Last edited:

wildrider666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For stated use on deer out to 200 yards, the demands on a scope are not hard. A 2X7 or common 3x9 with a duplex reticle would do the trick. Any of the classic names in scopes will serve you well.

There may come a time when you have a need for truly premium glass. When you look to buy in that market it is really a matter of your personal preference. Can your eye really see the difference between coating super XX and Super YY? The only thing I highly recommend is if you go with a high magnification scope select one with a FINE CROSSHAIR (why zoom in and then block the image with a fat or complicated crosshair).

Selection is compromise. Big lens = big light in which is good, but may require a high mount. You want to mount only as high as needed to clear the bolt handle.

If buying high magnification you need parallax adjustment (PA). Not needed at 7X and below, recommended for 8/9X, gotta have a 10X up.

Consider the field of view (size) at the different magnification and distances.

Target knobs on a deer gun are a waste. Those knobs on a varmint gun, bench-rest rifle or if you are shooting a lot of rounds at varying distances and conditions are mandatory.

Make sure, After you adjust the focus that there will be adequate eye relief for cartridge you are shooting before you buy!!!

Winter is the best time to buy scopes. Time your shopping so you can try the scope as the sun sets and into very low light conditions. A good shop will let you take it outside in real light conditions. Leave a DL or CWP for collateral or drag the salesman out with you. I would bet more then 95% of all scopes are bought after only looking wall to wall under florescent lights.

I have two quality scopes. Both are Leopold 6.5 X 20 VX3, fine crosshair, PA. one has fixed target knobs and the other has a set of target knobs that fit over the standard turret. One is mounted to my big game rifle. the other is a Nomad. The Nomad is used to check the intrinsic accuracy of every long gun I buy and many I help others with. The rational is if you shoot your 3X9 scope/gun at a 3 inch dot @100 yards you will hit the dot somewhere. That is ballpark. At 20X ,I shoot the target grid lines. The reason is a fine point of sight will deliver a fine impact.

I don't like hunting optics that need batteries. Used optics are fine if bought from a friend or a retailer that will guarantee them. Otherwise used scopes a risky.

Top Bottom