• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    For a new AR or a new carrier,trigger group,bolt,charging handle,etc. I use Break Free CLP. I keep the parts pretty wet although not as wt as most would suggest. I also have some TETRA GUN grease and use it to lube up the parts that wear on each other. Especially the bolt and carrier.

Another "theory" that I have heard is to keep the above parts fairly dry so they will wear on each other and loosen up. There are tons of good products on the market nowadays. Some people simply use Mobil 1 or a mixture of that and another ingredient. Take your pick. There are some really great products and if you happen not to pick the very best,I really do not believe that your gun will self destruct.

I would also add,during break in ... clean often. --- SAWMAN

avtech850

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use slip 2000 and I use a lot of it. Everybody has there own way of doing things and honestly nobody is really wrong when it comes to it. When I break in a gun I'll give it a good cleaning right out of the box (Directly from a KAC rep: "No manufacturer ships with a quality lube"). After I've removed all of the slick stuff in the gun I'll give everything a generous coat of oil, then reassemble and very slowly fire ten rounds. Repeat cleaning and lube then fire a full mag very slowly etc etc

bigbulls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Been thinking about AR lube myself and was thinking about moly coating the bcg and inside the upper receiver. Any one ever moly treated their AR?

donr101395

Master
    Super Moderator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a Mobile1 guy. Nothing wrong with many of the others, I just don't have a reason to switch.

Marquezj16

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Break-in lube for an AR...never really thought of it that way. However, I have cleaned and lubed quite a few with Otis CLP for their maiden voyage. All functioned 100%. I have used Mobil 1 Synthec to lube but not for breaking in.

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    bb, I have been impact coating with moly for almost 20 years now. However,I have never seen or heard of gun parts being coated. I suppose that if you wanted it done,my system would do it if the carrier key was either removed or plugged. The bolt could be left complete I would think if the rear is plugged. I use a vibrator "tumbler" that is loaded with stainless shot of about the #2 shot size. I put super fine moly in the tumbler and let it go for about 6 hours(longer if needed.) My bullets come out jet black.

Tell ya what ...... it would make it damn smooth. I would also think that ultimately you would get more speed out of the BCG because of the reduction in friction. Problem or not --> ?? --- SAWMAN

B52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I don't use any oil. All 5 of my builds run fine. Oil attracts dirt and carbon from the fire round.

Top Bottom