• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ares

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have been giving some thought to getting a new rifle this year. I really want a .308, so I'm looking for some advice on what I should get. I'm not a big deer hunter, maybe 2 or 3 times a year, so it's going to be more of a sporting rifle. Thanks.

Dan1612

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Ruger American if you can deal with the plasticky feel.
    I couldn't, much like the FN SCAR, or IWI Tavor, but you can't deny the accuracy. If you're a Glock owner, you'll absolutely love it.

gendoc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    if I was in need for a .308 bolt gun, I would go with the

tikka t3 lite
    model# JRTE316

for just a little more than $500....$578 msrp

Stagman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Marlin XS7 is in the $350 range and it's an excellent gun. I own one and it shoots lights out with the cheap Federal blue box soft points 150 gr., also it has an adjustable trigger just like the Savage rifles.

BruceWayne

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP in 30-06. One of those in 308 would absolutely rock! $500 and it comes with a halfway decent Nikon scope. Just change the rings out a they are junk. Comes with an Accutrigger adjustable down to 3.5 pounds. Its a lot of rifle for the money.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    My project was for a lightweight AR 10 in 308 but the lightest w/o optics is 7.25lbs, add the scope and mag full of ammo and you are getting up there. A bolt in 308, 18-20" barrel is maybe 5-6lbs, like the Ruger compact so that is the direction I am headed now. Prices are $350-750 which is about 1/2 the lightweight AR10, a normal average weight AR10 is about $875 still higher.

I get confused on the Remington, which is junk the 770? 740? 700? 70? they do not make it easy to select one...any advice?

SAWMAN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Several+ thoughts --->

1. GREAT choice in the 308Win chambering ..... especially if you do not reload.
    2. There is usually a compromise between super light .... and accurate. Remembering that accuracy is in the eye of the beholder.
    3. IMO ... MOD and MOH (minute of deer and minute of hog)is something around 2-2.5MOA. Punching paper will get rather boring if your weapon does not constantly/consistantly shoot at least MOA.
    4. You "should" spend about the same amount of money(or more if you can afford it) on your bases,rings,scope,and scope covers ... as you did your firearm. Budget for that. I have several guns that have more sitting on top of them than the cost/worth of the gun. (One is 7X)
    5. No matter how much you spend on your firearm,scope/sight and associated equipment ..... if the scope/sight is not installed properly,that will be your "weak point".
    6. Your weapon will undoubtably like one type of factory ammo better than the rest. Budget for that.
    7. Try to stick with a 1:10 twist for that 308Win.
    8. As a general rule,longer bbls are not more accurate than shorter bbls. If you will be shooting <600yds(~) any length bbl will be fine.
    9. You cannot legally hunt deer with a FMJ bullet. You can punch paper with anything.
    10. Consider another action besides a bolt gun when choosing a 308Win.

Good Shootin' --- SAWMAN

Ares

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the great advise.

I now have another question. Lets say I've found a great deal on a Remington 700, and lets say I would like to build it up a bit. The question is, can I simply replace the stock and add a heavy barrel, or do I need to do anything else to take it out to around 5 or 600 yards?

Top Bottom