• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Hey guys I've been saving up a little money on the side and I am wanting a 9mm. In your opinion and from personal experience/ownership what are some good options? No particular size like compact or full but I would like your opinion if that's what you own. I don't care for hi-points, keltecs, or a $1000 gun. Just something reliable and not cheap junk. I have some in mind but don't want to say which so that I get info on ones I didn't even look at. Also if you don't mind sharing the price you got it for or maybe it's MSRP or whatever that would be awesome!

Thanks for the info! Y'all are always helpful

Last edited:

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO, The S&W M&P 9 is the best 9mm you can buy,,,,,it's accurate, got a natural point of aim and is reliable.

Hossfly72

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Was gonna suggest the Keltec P-11 but ya shot that down (pun intended). Mine runs like a champ though.
    You'd really like a Witness or CZ I'll bet. I have a full steel .45 Witness that just keeps going and hittin where it's aimed

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no answer to the "best 9mm handgun", any more than there is "best car". If you want car to go off-road, you would not be happy with a Ferrari, and I don't think Dale Jr would want to take his family on vacation in his race car.

You have to figure out what you want to use the gun for. Carry gun, house gun, or range gun? If a carry gun, how well can you dress around it? Cover garments? Suit & tie? jeans & t-shirt?

As with anything, you must first determine your goals and restrictions, then you can figure out the appropriate tools for the job. I personally have a gun I carry most of the time, another I carry when dressed more formally, another pistol I carry on my SWAT team, and a bunch of others that I just enjoy shooting at the range from time to time.

Last edited:

bronxbomber252

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    the best is the one that you try out and like the best yet is still reliable. Here are some examples of reliable 9mm's that are worth checking out, but it is not all inclusive:

Walther PPQ (my favorite)
    S&W M&P
    Glock 19 and 17
    Sig Sauer p226 and p229
    Beretta 92FS/M9 (just not the real early models)
    and more!

Best thing to do is go handle and preferably test fire a bunch of different ones, then once you have it narrowed down, research the ones you like to see about reliability, accessory availability/price, etc...

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is no answer to the "best 9mm handgun", any more than there is "best car". If you want car to go off-road, you would not be happy with a Ferrari, and I don't think Dale Jr would want to take his family on vacation in his race car.

You have to figure out what you want to use the gun for. Carry gun, house gun, or range gun? If a carry gun, how well can you dress around it? Cover garments? Suit & tie? jeans & t-shirt?

As with anything, you must first determine your goals and restrictions, then you can figure out the appropriate tools for the job.

This covers it. Figure out it's primary purpose, then go from there. My carry guns are not the most fun to shoot. My fun shooters are not so good for concealed carry. The best of carry or fun guns to me probably will not the best for you.

FelixH

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Check out a Glock 26.
    I don't own one (yet) but I fell in love with one the first time I shot it.
    Great shooter and small enough to conceal on most folks.

Alientaz

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am a Springfield XD9 subcompact guy. This IMO a great all around gun for all purposes. I have really big hands and it fits nicely. Good luck in your search.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a P238 I carry so it'll be around the house, shooting, and a hunting side arm. Guess I should've included that lol. Thank you Bronx

rtprthd

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I say whatever feels best for you. For me, the XD's and XDm's fit my hand the best. I own 3 right now. I tried some Glocks but they just didn't feel right to me. But there's a million people that will say they won't shoot anything but a Glock. Go to your local gun store and fondle all of them. Then decide from there. Good luck.

Telum Pisces

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Put them all in your hand and see what feels the best grip wise. Start there. It also depends on what it's going to be used mostly for. I love my Glock 17 for the range and as a bedside gun. I love my Walther PPS and S&W Shield for concealed carry. I have handled and shot quite a few 9mm. The three I've listed are my go to 9mm guns. The S&W M&P line of guns are a good group of guns as well.

statdoc

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OH and they are a hi-tech nylon polymer, no plastic
    Yes, the Glock has a plastic frame. Plastic is a generic term, as is polymer. You can polymerize sugars, peptides, and many other molecules. Glocks are made of a "secret" chemical, thought to be based on Nylon 6, which is a polymerized amide.

Deersniper270

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the idea of a metal frame. That's why I went with my P238 over a bodyguard or LCP. I new Glocks were polymer just didn't know the difference. I looked up the demensions and there's only a little more than an inch difference. 19 would probably be my style with smaller hands. Held a 26 before and did not like the feel at all. I think there's a glock dealer near my house. I'll have to check them out.

Top Bottom