• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Went to the Milton Gun Show a couple of weekends ago and did a trade for a Colt Mustang. I asked the person that had the Mustang how it shot and he replied "oh shoots great", and I said ok cause I'll be using this as my carry gun. I usually take this with a grain of salt and this time I didn't. So I did the trade took the gun loaded it and have been carrying it for the last 2 weeks. Today i went to the range and loaded it and went to shoot it and NADA..CLICK and thats IT. took it down and the spring under the rear sight that holds the plunger for the firing pin safety was GONE. This means the gun was taken down and re-assembled without the spring and it would NOT let the firing pin move forward when struck. I thank GOD i didnt get into a bad situation with this pistol as my defense means. No longer will I take anyones word on anything on a used gun. Rangetrip and test before carry. Do me a favor though if you sell at a gun show or private..if you haven't ever shot the gun just say so!!!!! I would rather someone be honest and say "I don't know how well it shoots than BS me to sell me or trade me something. to me a Mans word is his honor and I will say I will never do business with this person again.

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over all the years and all the guns, I have had two factory new guns that would not work out of the box. A S&W Model 19 (locked up) and a Kel-Tec P3AT (light strikes). I don't trust anything that I have not thoroughly tested with my carry ammo.

Same thing with ammo. My trusted and most carried gun will not feed Hornady Critical Duty. Critical Defense works but the Critical Duty jams on the feed ramp whether dropping the slide or with a slingshot. A little change in bullet nose shape make it worthless. Never trust your life to something you have not tested.

Ken232

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I normally Do test ect...just wanted to use it right off thats why I asked all the questions....won't happen again

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Over all the years and all the guns, I have had two factory new guns that would not work out of the box. A S&W Model 19 (locked up) and a Kel-Tec P3AT (light strikes). I don't trust anything that I have not thoroughly tested with my carry ammo.

Same thing with ammo. My trusted and most carried gun will not feed Hornady Critical Duty. Critical Defense works but the Critical Duty jams on the feed ramp whether dropping the slide or with a slingshot. A little change in bullet nose shape make it worthless. Never trust your life to something you have not tested.

Good point and thank you! I have run target rounds through my carry, but not defense rounds. Will do this weekend and thanks again for tip.

Steve

WILWORK4GUNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    New guns these days....usually something wrong.....
    Used guns these days ....almost always something wrong....
    I think a high number of gun owners never fire the damn thing before they end up selling it.??!!..the rest of the time....they have a problem....and pawn it off on someone else.
    Maybe I just have bad luck.....but at least I can fix'em.
    I ALWAYS break down a new-to-me gun, as far as possible and do a forensic inspection to make sure it is safe, and will fire when I want it to...and not before.
    Its not possible to spot every issue with a firearm while standing in a crowd at the gunshow...takes a work table....light, tools...and about an hour.
    Always a good Idea to put a couple hundred rounds through a weapon before you trust it.....Glad you have time to do that!

JohnAL

Master
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Good point and thank you! I have run target rounds through my carry, but not defense rounds. Will do this weekend and thanks again for tip.

Steve

I know it hurts to burn up that high dollar ammo but it's the only way to trust your life with it. I had rather have a magazine full of cheap ball ammo that I know works than some $2 per round +P platinum plated kryptonite cored super defense ammo that my gun just might choke on.

dirtysouth

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I know it hurts to burn up that high dollar ammo but it's the only way to trust your life with it. I had rather have a magazine full of cheap ball ammo that I know works than some $2 per round +P platinum plated kryptonite cored super defense ammo that my gun just might choke on.

Yes sir. Agree 100%. Will post results :)

Stanley13

I'm From AL and I Love to Shoot Shit
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am so totin some Hornady critical defense that I have never shot out of my carry gun! So sadly true. So good point

Drauka99

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Exactly. I will NOT carry until I have tested with the ammo it will be loaded with. I have had to many handguns that were picky on their ammo. If possible I like to take the gun out a couple times shooting before I carry it... the reason.... I had one that if it was not cleaned to "surgical room standards" after the first range visit it tended to jam the next time you tried to shoot it.

FrankT

6.8 SPCII Hog Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Steve

Steve by doing this you cannot know where your SD rds are going to hit, sight in w target ammo then finish w your carry ammo. In my Glock 9mm the 115gr target hits perfect but my 147gr hits much lower so I had to adjust.

Captken

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I bought two P238's a while back that both owners said that they never had any issue with them. I wondered about their truthfullness since both were early production. One I bought off of PFF. Both were jam-o-matics and couldn't get off a full mag full without problems. I worked on both and had Sig send me new recoil springs and mags. After that they worked like champs but like car salesmen, they are trying to close a deal and whatever it takes to do so, they will.

CCHGN

Banned
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm in the camp that I get the gun that makes my heart go pitter patter and then make it run......I always replace MIMS parts with forged and polish everything. Btw, I have soft spot for Mustangs and those AMT backups, remember those?.....lol

ilintner

Retired
    Super Moderator
    GCGF Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am guilty of not always properly shaking down a gun before carry, but fortunately I haven't been burned by it. I have a friend that has carried a keltec for years without ever shooting it and he asked me to take it out and run some rounds through it... It wouldn't fire more than one shot at a time, good thing that he didn't need it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom