• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Any GCGF members knowledgeable with regards to WWI bayonets? I stumbled across a bayonet in a small town pawn shop and decided to pick it up for what I thought was a decent price. The bayonet has a very long blade that appears uncut and unmodified with a drop tip and a single sharpened edge.

It has the following imprints: the word "Remington" in a circular pattern. Above that are the numbers "9" and "17" - and above that is "1913". The other side has the mark "US". Above that is what looks like an arrowhead with a crown below and "A2" and "A" below that. There are diagonal lines imprinted either under or over those marks.

It came with a scabbard that appears to be leather with a sewn seam on one side - a metal tip and a metal top with a tear drop frog hanger. Here are pics of the markings: image-2933813819.jpg

Attachments

• image-2933813819.jpg
      image-2933813819.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 131

flyandscuba

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes - on the bayonet point page 10 I found this:

A Remington Model 1917 Bayonet With British Marks Crossed Out and US Added
    Note the Double US Marking and the Lack of a Clearing Hole

Earliest deliveries by Remington were made from undelivered British production. These simply had the British proof markings crossed out and a US added. The orientation and location of the US mark varies greatly, and in some cases the US is stamped twice, once horizontally and once vertically. Most of those I have seen are dated around April and May of 1917, with a small number of other dates. In America's Munitions 1917-1918, Benedict Crowell (Assistant Secretary of War, Director of Munitions during World War One) states "to buy approximately 545,000 bayonets which had already been manufactured for the British."

Production for US use began in September 1917 by Remington, and probably at about the same time or slightly earlier by Winchester. The only significant change in the bayonet itself was the addition of a clearing hole (sometimes incorrectly called an oil hole) across the end of the stud slot to allow dirt or debris to be removed from the end of the slot. This was done fairly early in production, probably in October or November of 1917. Some of the earlier bayonets were retrofitted with this hole, so US marked M1917 bayonets without the clearing hole are fairly uncommon.

It appears I have an uncommon example described above - thanks!

Top Bottom