• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kidsoncoffee

Wears a live rattlesnake as a condom
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Anyone here or anyone know of anyone with some blocks and press to get a barrel out of a rifle receiver? Looking for somewhere close to Gulf Breeze. My press and blocks aren't cutting it. It's a savage mark ii. If not near Gulf Breeze, anyone local that can do the work for me? Please reply here or contact me via PM. Thanks.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anyone here or anyone know of anyone with some blocks and press to get a barrel out of a rifle receiver? Looking for somewhere close to Gulf Breeze. My press and blocks aren't cutting it. It's a savage mark ii. If not near Gulf Breeze, anyone local that can do the work for me? Please reply here or contact me via PM. Thanks.
    For threaded actions like a mauser I know OLE FRONTIER GUNSMITH SHOP. MCCULLOUGH, JONATHAN ALAN 2619 HWY 29 SOUTH, CANTONMENT, FL 32533 (850) 477-8074 had the set up for doing that as I would expect any equipped gunsmith to have on hand.
    I know that he use to build and likely still does build bolt action .22 rifles for off-hand shooting at those animal silhouettes at 25, 50, 75, 100 yards and some of those bolt actions he used likely had pressed in barrels. I would give him a call and also the other smiths around here that work on re-barreling .22 bolt action rifles. He is not inexpensive.
    Last I heard he was a telephone guy and does not do much on the internet and will not be reading this forum.

Jhunter

Accuracy and precision
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what I use for my switchbarrel setups. I have it mounted on a bench, and use a torque wrench and Surgeon action tool to install barrels. The guys at Altus will know exactly what you need if you give them a call. You could also save a few bucks by picking up from them in Baker

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This is what I use for my switchbarrel setups. I have it mounted on a bench, and use a torque wrench and Surgeon action tool to install barrels. The guys at Altus will know exactly what you need if you give them a call. You could also save a few bucks by picking up from them in Baker
    What you mention I believe is for threaded actions. If I got it right his barrel is pressed fitted. Many barrels such as those on the AKM, G3(HK&PTR), and many other rifle use hydraulics to press them in and also to remove and I have NOT seen how it is done.
    Here is link for backing out a barrel on the AK for head spacing.

AK & Related Rifles, Gunsmithing, Tools
    How to Make a Simple and Effective AK Barrel Back Out Tool
    http://blog.roninsgrips.com/make-simple-effective-ak-barrel-back-tool/
    AK rifles use press-fit barrels wherein the barrel is pressed into either the forged trunnion (if it is a sheet metal receiver) or the receiver and then held in place by the 7mm barrel pin. As part of this, the barrel must be headspaced to the bolt to help ensure the cartridge is properly seated. A challenge that commonly happens is that a builder inserts the barrel using whatever method ranging from a big hammer to a hydraulic press but when they try to use their headspace gauges, they find they have gone too far. Alternatively, folks trying to insert a barrel back in that was already headspaced notice that they overshot the barrel pin groove when looking through the holes across the groove in the barrel. Regardless of how the mistake is identified, the question becomes “what do I do now?”

Last edited:

oneshot

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Did I miss it but why do you want to remove the barrel. . I don.t live live next door just in jay. Have remove a few 22 barrels Have a press to do it with. Just m 5 cents jj

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Did I miss it but why do you want to remove the barrel. . I don.t live live next door just in jay. Have remove a few 22 barrels Have a press to do it with. Just m 5 cents jj

I need to do a receiver swap. My good barrel is in my bad receiver, and my good receiver is attached to my bad barrel. I've gotten the good barrel out of the bad receiver, but my replacement receiver is from an older gun I purchased and the barrel is trashed on it. That sucker is seized in there something fierce. It might take some heat as well as a press to get it out.

FrommerStop

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I need to do a receiver swap. My good barrel is in my bad receiver, and my good receiver is attached to my bad barrel. I've gotten the good barrel out of the bad receiver, but my replacement receiver is from an older gun I purchased and the barrel is trashed on it. That sucker is seized in there something fierce. It might take some heat as well as a press to get it out.
    Really sounds like something for qualified gunsmith if you are talking heat.

the most common issues that ruin .22 barrels are improper cleaning, corrosion, and ringed barrels.

kidsoncoffee

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you want to come to Jay I will get it apart. Just did the same thing on a couple of bolt 22 s 850-572-6611
    Thanks JJ. Next time I need to go up that way, I'll give you a shout and see about coming by to get it done.

Latest posts

Members online

Top Bottom